“Excellent ,albiet over priced, food - unbelievely poor wine service.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Chop House

Chicago Chop House
60 W Ontario St, Chicago, IL 60654-3823 (Near North Side)
312 - 787-7100
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Chicago Chop House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,210 of 7,741 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Bar scene, Doing business
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Near North Side
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Excellent ,albiet over priced, food - unbelievely poor wine service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

seared tuna - good, Rib Eye - excellent, sides - very good. Ordered a glass of Nickle and Nickle syrah and another cab forward blend. Arrieved MUCH WARMER THAN ROOM TEMP. WHAT!
The Syrah was OXIDIZED. Told waiter. A suited guy arrives, not bothering to introduce himself - ask's "Do I have a question about the wine" -- Yes he Syrah is oxidized. He has the bottle showing me that the bottle was only opened yesterday and that it is his best celler. SO IT"S OXIDIZED. He never tastes it. Just dissapears. WOW- they could do training on BAD wine service.
Wine list is way over priced and loaded with bad years.
Another odd thing. A lady standing against the wall across from me - stared at me unsmiling during the complete dinner. Asked waiter - he said she was the floor manager - and she never smiles.

• Turkish first
Texas
“A must when in Chicago!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

After reading an article in the Southwest Airlines magazine in flight to Chicago, my husband and I decided to visit the Chicago Chop House. We first attempted to visit on Friday afternoon, but the restaurant was closed for lunch. We finally made it back on Sunday evening. A meal here is an experience, so plan for a few hours. We did not have to wait as the restaurant was not crowded. Our waitress was from El Paso, TX, so she treated us fellow Texans well! The Chicago Chop House is known for steaks and they offer the best cuts and grades of meat. Prices range from $45 to $89 for steaks. Sides are ala carte and a "single" serving can easily be shared by 2. We each had lobster bisque for an appetizer and the "dry-aged" 10 oz. Filet Mignon ($55), asparagus and baked potato. We also had the appetizer special, which consisted of a scallop, a crab cake and a large shrimp, all of which we shared. Needless to say, we were plenty full. Expect to pay upwards of $300 if you have a cocktail and bottle still water and the meal we had. It is worth the time and money if you are in Chicago! Sit by the window for a view of Chicago's city streets.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newtown Square, Pennsylvania
“15 Year Reunion”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

First time back after 15 years. The baked potato is still the best. Unfortunately, the $59 New York Strip steak was a bit dissapointing as there was more fat than what I'm used to. With all of the steak houses around, they need to be better than the rest. When I come back to Chicago, I'll probably try Gibsons.

Jacksonville, Florida
“History and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We have a Ruth's Chris in Jacksonville which is one of the best steaks I have ever had. I was extremely excited to visit the Chicago Chop House. The restaurant is amazing, service is impeccable, history is chilling and food was great. I must say, I enjoyed my ruth's chris filet better for the price, but if you are in chicago, and like a gangster movie, I recommend going!
We did go for our honeymoon so money was not an issue as it is pricey.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Way over-rated!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Visited the Chicago Chop House, after picking it from one of those little "Things to do in Chicago" brochures we got in our hotel. Sorry we bothered. Went there on a Thursday evening. Immediately they sit you down, this guy comes over and starts with the hard-sell, pushing these special Japanese steaks and their dry-aged stuff that is generally a bit more expensive. I was uncomfortable with this whole routine. Leave me alone to study the menu - If I want your help, I'll ask for it but do your job and "wait". I ended up getting a dry-aged, bone-in filet that cost $89. I would best describe the steak as average - nowhere near an $89 value. This place appears to be living off its reputation. We were disappointed and will definitely not go back. Take my advice and go elsewhere. It's highly likely you'll get a better steak for much cheaper elsewhere.