“Happy every time.” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 8,383 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: Seafood, Pacific Rim
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert, Private Dining
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Corner of Superior and State Street.
Transit: EL train stop 1 block north at Chicago and State.
Chicago
“Happy every time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

We have been to Roy's a number of times and have always been very happy. It really is great for all occasions. It is good for a romantic dinner and it is also good for our pre-teen children. They fly in their fish every day from hawaii. Try the butterfish. It is staggering. Appetizers are intersting and the desserts are excellent.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Lenox, Massachusetts
“Delicious food, excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Wow, what a menu. And everything tastes as good as it sounds. We shared 3 appetizers and 2 desserts. With a couple glasses of wine, it was one of the best dinners ever.
The lobster pot stickers were crispy on the outside, succulent and savory inside. Big chunks of lobster that tasted as if we were on the docks in Maine. Vegetables and spices made the filling just right.
Ribs were falling off the bone tender, with a spicy flavorful sauce.
Lobster dim sum was so good it is hard to ever find words to describe it. Pillowy dumplings with about a claws worth of lobster in each one, with a light frothy sauce that added depth and amazing flavor.
The flourless chocolate cake was to die for, and the key lime pie was beyond perfection.
A great selection of wines by the glass rounded out a perfect menu.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Fantastic dinner every time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Been going there for the past few years and thought it'd be nice to recommend it. I'm not a big chance taker when it comes to food and I was initially intimidated on my first few visits. My suggestion would be to work with your server and have them really break down the dish so you understand it's full components. Also, they will make you a special dish if you're really looking for a combination that is not on the menu. For example I enjoy combining appetizers such as the ribs and tuna. Also, sign up for their email list, you will receive nice discount opps ($25) for future visits.

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's Restaurant, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
You know, we love hearing from locals who enjoy coming back to Roy's. Thank you for sharing the love with other Tripadvisors. We value your patronage and hope to see you back soon. I actually used to work with the Managing Partner, Chris Auld 10 years ago in Florida. He's a great guy. Say hello for me on your next visit!

Mahalo,

Jeannie Lee @ Roy's Restaurants
Saint Louis, Missouri
“goooood butterfish”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

great selection of seafood. service very attentive. Husband's trout was way too small. All the other dishes were ample size & delicious

Visited January 2013
Nashville, TN
“Wonderful Dinner with Creative Food & Drink”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I dined here on New Years Eve while visiting Chicago. This was our first visit. We were blown away by the food, ambiance, and overall service.

I had made reservations well in advance, and chose this restaurant based on reviews and location relative to our hotel. Since we were there on a special occasion (NYE), they only offered a 4-course prix fixe (prefixed and price-fixed). The price was slightly higher than we had planned, but considering the food offered, felt it was appropriate.

First, the menu/food: Prior to making reservations, I was blown away by how creative both the drink and dinner menu was, offering unique and clever flavor combinations. We had the crabcakes and the tuna sushi first course. Both were amazing, although the crabcakes were served luke-warm. I am guessing they were not cooking these to order, but based on the busy dining room, I doubt this created much of a problem for most diners. The second course included a delicious shrimp bisque (also served luke-warm) and a walnut salad on arugula. Both had amazing flavors. For the main course, I had the tuna special. It was perfectly seared but served rare with a delicious rice and a citrus-like glaze. My wife had the lamb shank served bone-in and cooked sous vide (without air). This stole the show. The flavor was amazing and the meat was fall off the bone tender. If this isn't on the standard menu, it should be quickly added. Deserts were also delicious, especially the chocolate souffle which was perfectly served with a warm, oozing, rich chocolate center.

Next, the service: Our waiter was Emilio. He was probably our best server for all of 2012 - way to end on a high note! After a few questions about our preferences, he made wonderful suggestions, and steered us away from the mediocre dishes of the night towards the dishes that matches what we were looking for. He had wonderful personality, responded quickly to any questions, and was courteous and attentive. He earned top marks. His support staff (table runners, attendants, etc.) were also very good. Our dishes were quickly cleared after each course and water was always refilled. The only noticeable downside was that the wait between the first and second, then second and third (main) courses were noticeably long. I do not fault our waiter, but likely the kitchen on a busy night. It was by no means intolerable, just a bit long. Overall, it took us between 2 and 2:15 hours to complete a 4-course dinner for two.

Finally, the drinks: This was as good as the menu. If the bar wasn't slammed when we left, I would have complimented the bartender. All of the drinks were hand-crafted and tasted amazing. Part of this is due to Roy's drink menu, which highlights the "Hawaiian Fusion" into their concoctions. I have discovered my new favorite drink the "RI1 and Blood Orange". While the name may need a little more creativity, the drink itself was amazing. My wife also sampled a martini and a St. Germaine cocktail, both of which exceeded her expectations.

Overall, we were highly impressed. Next time I am in Chicago and am planning on a nice dinner out, Roy's will be at the top of my list.

• Visited December 2012