“Langham - so much better than Trump or Peninsula!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Chicago

You added The Langham, Chicago to your Saves list
The Langham, Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 North Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #1 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles, California
“Langham - so much better than Trump or Peninsula!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Oh Langham hotel how I love thee! This 9 week old gem in the Loop area of Chicago is such a treasure and truly phenomenal. Check-in is on the second floor of the Mad Men-esque mid-century meets modern style lobby which connects to the two restaurants - the Pavilion and Travelle. The staff (j'adore that the ladies wear pink Chanel looking suits) are friendly, eager to assist and on top of their game. I stayed on the Club Lounge level for business this past weekend and it was a truly enjoyable stay. My king sized room overlooked the city and was spacious and well appointed. The room has a "shower/tub room" in the very beautiful marbled bathroom. You can soak in the tub or take a separate shower.

Carlos, the butler for the Club level, drew a bath for me strewn with rose petals and left a personal note that told me all of the ingredients used in my bath (lavendar, shea, etc.). He had classical music playing and the lights were dimmed so that when I got back to my room, my bath was ready to enjoy! Carlos is the Director of Butler Services and takes great pride in his position. He truly has a service heart and is wonderful at remembering names, and always welcoming you back to the Lounge or offering to help with any suggestions, etc.) If you stay at Club level definitely ask for one of Carlos' baths!

The butler staff consists of other great people (Michelle and some other ladies and gents), and are all well trained so you are sure to be taken care of. They packed a box of cookies for me for the trip home - wrapped in a pink box. (Pink is the Langham's theme color and they even sell a nail polish in their gift shop called "Langham Love" in a great pink color).

My room was modern yet comfy, clean, had all of the amenities I needed and was very roomy in size. I was really pleased with it and the housekeeper who serviced the room arranged my things very nicely and always left me extra bottles of water. She even tidied up my cell phone cord. Nice touches all around.

I ate in both of the restaurants, having enjoyed the High Tea service at the Pavilion restaurant (I have one photo of the tea sandwiches here) and also dinner at Travelle. Both times I was so pleased with the food. Hector took care of our dinner at Travelle and knew the menu back to front. He was really a great asset suggesting the food and even provided a bag holder for my purse so that it wouldn't have to sit on the floor. You can even take it home as a Travelle souvenir to use again . This is a really nice touch to have and very thoughtful as I always hate putting my purse on the floor so big kudos to the Langham and Travelle for coming up with that. I strongly recommend the High Tea service (ladies and gentlemen were there so it's not just a "chick thing"). It's served on Wedgewood china and the presentation is really lovely. The scones are massive, the sandwiches are a twist on the typical tea service and are really tasty and filling. The chef has created an interesting group and i especially loved loved loved the roast beef tea sandwich! Yum.

Lastly, the spa! I had a massage with Renee who was attentive to my issues and took great care to massage the problematic areas and would quietly check in with me about the pressure, room temp, etc., but remained quiet so that I could relax. The spa itself is delicious. I spent 15 minutes in the jasmine infused steam room as I didn't have much time (should have gone in hours earlier as they have two saunas with different temperatures and aromatherapy), and relaxed in their relaxation room. I unfortuantely missed out on the Dream room/bed (you'll have to go and see it for yourself), but I will check that out on my next visit. The shampoo and other hair products are from the Moroccan Oil line which is wonderful. I love those products and they are very high end (they have styling cream, mousse and hairspray available there too when you blow dry your hair). The spa was clean and very well maintained. It felt like I was the only one in there (I wasn't) because it was spotless.

Overall, this was an amazing experience in a fabulous new hotel. You know how you expect there to be little "kinks" with a new hotel? Well, there were NONE here. I met the GM and Hotel Managers (Bob and Joe) and they are running a classy, quality, 5 star property. I will definitely recommend to family and friends and business associates. I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the river. This is in the "Loop" area and there are great views...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (214)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Chicago is ranking right with Beverly Hills for great 5-star properties to stay at. We love the Waldorf but decided to try out The Langham.

Located directly across the street from the Trump, The Langham took over 12 floors in an office building and had an open checkbook in designing an elegant and beautiful space.

The lobby, restaurants and bars are on the second floor. The space is white, bright with great window views. The elevator bank has 8 elevators so you are never waiting. We were upgraded to a suite, huge main room and very nice bedroom area with a walk-in closet.

Little things that matter are what count in a place like this and while it is 5-star, it could be 4-star or even 6-star if there was such a thing. The lights work electronically but there is no dim option. The hotel is confused over the "service" and "privacy" buttons and hence we did not get turn down service although we did press the right button.

Being an office building convert, there are no balconies regardless of the room class. Amenities include a pod coffee maker and great toiletries.

The spa takes up the entire fourth floor. It features a huge pool with spa (although no lounge chairs to relax), great gym, spa area and locker rooms. The towels are really too big and heavy and they put the hairdryers in stations away from the sinks. There is a small room with four heated stone loungers that are very relaxing.

The club level features butlers waiting to do just about anything for you. In fact, sometimes you just want to get your own coffee. Nice breakfast in the morning. Afternoon tea and cocktails in the afternoon/evening although the quality of wine and liquor is suspect. Why not single malt or cognac? Why no Cabernet? It's the one area that they cut back on and I hope this is addressed. The space itself takes up half the 13th floor (12C they like to call it) and is amazing. There is the signature writing room along with many chairs and tables to relax.

Overall, staff is very friendly and they want you to experience the best. It ranks over the Four Seasons and Peninsula but I am still a fan of the Waldorf. Location for each is good although the Langham is in the loop area versus the Gold Coast area. If you are into these types of properties, then you certainly need to experience The Langham at least once.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake or river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Top notch hotel. Brand new with excellent technology and wonderful beds, decor, and service. Very expensive, but wonderful if you can afford it. I got it through Hotwire and had a significant break in price. It was a lovely experience and there is not a single thing that could be improved.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I took a chance and stayed here mid-September, since the Four Seasons was fully booked. This hotel more than exceeded our expectations. It's brand new and the rooms and facilities are perfect. The staff is very warm and attentive. The hotel didn't know we were celebrating my husband's birthday, but I asked room service for plates and utensils. The woman who got them up must have passed the word on, because housing-keeping left a note saying happy birthday and the doormen wished him as well! They have great attention to detail and there are lots of little thing they did that elevated the experience of staying there, like turning on the sound system to play lite music during the turn-down service.

We ordered room service one evening and ate brunch in their restaurant, Travelle. The food was very delicious. Which is great, especially in a foodie city like Chicago.

The hospitality of the staff definitely made our stay more memorable. I don't think we'll stay in any other hotel when we come back to Chicago so we look forward to our stay there next month!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'm on my last night of a three night stay. I can honestly say this hotel is amazing. It's just as good as any Ritz or Four Seasons that I've stayed at.

The hotel is very modern, extremely spacious and comfortable rooms with all of the amenities you could want. The bed and pillows are first rate and better than any Westin heavenly bed. Nothing like getting comfortable after a long day and watching TV on a huge 50 inch screen.

The staff are super friendly and courteous but a special mention goes out to their amazing and knowledgable concierge, Chris Baum. The hotel is lucky to have a guy like him.

AAA+++ hotel. Highly recommended from a high mileage traveller with discerning taste.

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I went for a one night business meeting. The rooms had really cool technology and the bed/sleep was amazing! Everyone at the hotel was super friendly and helpful. I hope to go stay again for personal!

Review collected in partnership with Langham Hotels

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was so glad to be able to stay at the brand new Langham Hotel on my recent business trip. I visit Chicago several times of year and have stayed at some of the areas top hotels, but must say that this hotel truly did exceed my expectations. I was greeted by a friendly staff whom anticipated my needs and was always one step ahead. The personalization and level of customer service here truly was top notch. I enjoyed breakfast by room service and though the food and service were both extraordinary. I had the pleasure of dining in the amazing restaurant Travelle, and though our waiter and the food were phenomenal. I loved my room, very spacious, comfortable and had everything I like to have available to me during my travels, including one of the best shower/baths I have seen recently. I look forward to visiting again soon and know that this hotel will do very well, as they are on their A-game, which with a new opening it sometimes takes a while to work out the kinks, but I did not encounter any of these hiccups during my stay, the team was well groomed and trained to take great care of their guests.

Room Tip: Request to have a river view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Langham, Chicago? Share your experiences!