“Almost Perfect Sanctuary” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Chicago

You added The Langham, Chicago to your Saves list
The Langham, Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 North Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Special Offer
UP TO 25% OFF. BOOK NOW!
Ranked #1 of 182 Hotels in Chicago
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
“Almost Perfect Sanctuary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Chicago is ranking right with Beverly Hills for great 5-star properties to stay at. We love the Waldorf but decided to try out The Langham.

Located directly across the street from the Trump, The Langham took over 12 floors in an office building and had an open checkbook in designing an elegant and beautiful space.

The lobby, restaurants and bars are on the second floor. The space is white, bright with great window views. The elevator bank has 8 elevators so you are never waiting. We were upgraded to a suite, huge main room and very nice bedroom area with a walk-in closet.

Little things that matter are what count in a place like this and while it is 5-star, it could be 4-star or even 6-star if there was such a thing. The lights work electronically but there is no dim option. The hotel is confused over the "service" and "privacy" buttons and hence we did not get turn down service although we did press the right button.

Being an office building convert, there are no balconies regardless of the room class. Amenities include a pod coffee maker and great toiletries.

The spa takes up the entire fourth floor. It features a huge pool with spa (although no lounge chairs to relax), great gym, spa area and locker rooms. The towels are really too big and heavy and they put the hairdryers in stations away from the sinks. There is a small room with four heated stone loungers that are very relaxing.

The club level features butlers waiting to do just about anything for you. In fact, sometimes you just want to get your own coffee. Nice breakfast in the morning. Afternoon tea and cocktails in the afternoon/evening although the quality of wine and liquor is suspect. Why not single malt or cognac? Why no Cabernet? It's the one area that they cut back on and I hope this is addressed. The space itself takes up half the 13th floor (12C they like to call it) and is amazing. There is the signature writing room along with many chairs and tables to relax.

Overall, staff is very friendly and they want you to experience the best. It ranks over the Four Seasons and Peninsula but I am still a fan of the Waldorf. Location for each is good although the Langham is in the loop area versus the Gold Coast area. If you are into these types of properties, then you certainly need to experience The Langham at least once.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the lake or river.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LGspartan

Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

Top notch hotel. Brand new with excellent technology and wonderful beds, decor, and service. Very expensive, but wonderful if you can afford it. I got it through Hotwire and had a significant break in price. It was a lovely experience and there is not a single thing that could be improved.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I took a chance and stayed here mid-September, since the Four Seasons was fully booked. This hotel more than exceeded our expectations. It's brand new and the rooms and facilities are perfect. The staff is very warm and attentive. The hotel didn't know we were celebrating my husband's birthday, but I asked room service for plates and utensils. The woman who got them up must have passed the word on, because housing-keeping left a note saying happy birthday and the doormen wished him as well! They have great attention to detail and there are lots of little thing they did that elevated the experience of staying there, like turning on the sound system to play lite music during the turn-down service.

We ordered room service one evening and ate brunch in their restaurant, Travelle. The food was very delicious. Which is great, especially in a foodie city like Chicago.

The hospitality of the staff definitely made our stay more memorable. I don't think we'll stay in any other hotel when we come back to Chicago so we look forward to our stay there next month!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I'm on my last night of a three night stay. I can honestly say this hotel is amazing. It's just as good as any Ritz or Four Seasons that I've stayed at.

The hotel is very modern, extremely spacious and comfortable rooms with all of the amenities you could want. The bed and pillows are first rate and better than any Westin heavenly bed. Nothing like getting comfortable after a long day and watching TV on a huge 50 inch screen.

The staff are super friendly and courteous but a special mention goes out to their amazing and knowledgable concierge, Chris Baum. The hotel is lucky to have a guy like him.

AAA+++ hotel. Highly recommended from a high mileage traveller with discerning taste.

Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I went for a one night business meeting. The rooms had really cool technology and the bed/sleep was amazing! Everyone at the hotel was super friendly and helpful. I hope to go stay again for personal!

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was so glad to be able to stay at the brand new Langham Hotel on my recent business trip. I visit Chicago several times of year and have stayed at some of the areas top hotels, but must say that this hotel truly did exceed my expectations. I was greeted by a friendly staff whom anticipated my needs and was always one step ahead. The personalization and level of customer service here truly was top notch. I enjoyed breakfast by room service and though the food and service were both extraordinary. I had the pleasure of dining in the amazing restaurant Travelle, and though our waiter and the food were phenomenal. I loved my room, very spacious, comfortable and had everything I like to have available to me during my travels, including one of the best shower/baths I have seen recently. I look forward to visiting again soon and know that this hotel will do very well, as they are on their A-game, which with a new opening it sometimes takes a while to work out the kinks, but I did not encounter any of these hiccups during my stay, the team was well groomed and trained to take great care of their guests.

Room Tip: Request to have a river view
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The Langham in Chicago is a physically stunning hotel. The public areas and the rooms are beautifully designed and finished.

Almost every detail of the guestroom has been well thought out and executed. The bed is incredibly comfortable. The towels are the best I’ve ever encountered in a hotel – large, soft, fluffy and absorbent. Little extras include a box of amenities such as talc, a comb, dental kit, etc. as well as an umbrella, shoe horn, clothes brush, etc. The tub was conducive to a relaxing soak. I had a standard king room on the twelfth floor and the room felt spacious. Buttons to control the lighting are everywhere you want them to be and they are well marked. The recessed ceiling lights are dramatic. The room was well equipped for a comfortable and relaxing stay.

While the facilities were five star, the service I encountered only rates four stars. The hotel is quite new so the few lapses in service might be attributable to growing pains. Each issue is rather minor but together they were more bothersome than they should have been based on the aspirations of this property.

After a long day, we decided to retire early on our first night so I pressed the Privacy button near the door. When I woke up in the middle of the night, I was surprised to see a number of blinking red lights in the room. Those lights signaled that a message was waiting. When I called for the message, I was told that housekeeping wanted me to know they tried to refresh the room but the privacy light was on. Kudos for honoring the privacy light but I did not care for the blinking red lights alerting me that a message was waiting. When I called for the message, I would have preferred a recording for such a routine message.

The next day, I requested a guide to the art in the hotel. This guide was mentioned in the guest services directory in the room. Unfortunately, they appeared to have run out of the guides. They offered to locate one and email a copy to me. However, I never received the guide nor did I receive a message explaining why the guide was not sent.

On the second night I again encountered all of the blinking red message lights. The message was the same as the day before. However, I had specifically turned the privacy light off when we left for the theater at 7 pm. I’m not sure when housekeeping attempted to refresh the room but I thought they would have plenty of time after 7 pm. An additional call was required to have the message lights turned off.

When checking my account via the TV on my last morning, I was confused by what I saw. They displayed the bill from one week earlier which I realized when viewing the date. Another guest’s name was also displayed so I knew this was not my account. This was a first – I’ve never seen another guest’s bill when checking on my account via an in-room TV.

We had hoped to have a drink in the hotel bar after returning from the theater. The bar was quite busy. Unfortunately, the music was too loud for a relaxing drink so we skipped it. I would have appreciated a more subdued sound level in the bar.

Would I stay here again? Yes, because the rooms are quite comfortable and the location is great. They will most likely work through the issues I encountered. Based on the other reviews I’ve read, my experience does not appear to be typical. My expectations were high after reading repeated glowing reviews. Maybe I expected a bit too much….

Room Tip: The lower the room number, the better the view of the river and possibly Lake Michigan
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends