“A Mies van der Rohe immersion vacation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Langham, Chicago

Save Saved
You added The Langham, Chicago to your Saves list
The Langham, Chicago
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   330 North Wabash Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel virtual tour
Special Price
10%+ off, 45-day advance
Ranked #1 of 169 hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles CA
“A Mies van der Rohe immersion vacation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

Chicago has a plethora of buildings designed by very famous architects, from Burnham, Root, Atwood and Louis Sullivan to Frank Lloyd Wright to Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Mies, once the director of Berlin's famed Bauhaus school as well as head of the architecture department at the Illinois Institute of Architecture (IIT), has several famous buildings in the Loop and Streeterville areas--the 860-880 and 900-910 Lake Shore Drive apartments, the Federal Center buildings and post office, and the IBM building, which now houses the Langham hotel on its first 13 floors.

I personally make pilgrimages to all these easily accessed buildings every time I visit Chicago, and have also made the hour-long journey to Mies' Farnsworth house in Plano, a breathtakingly beautiful ode to minimalism in a bucolic riverside setting. I actually visited the house twice on this trip--the easiest way to visit is through the Chicago Architecture Foundation.

I hyperventilated with excitement when I read the Langham was opening in the IBM building, the first hotel in the world ever to reside in an Mies building. I am familiar with the Langham brand, as the Langham Huntington Hotel in Pasadena is but a stone's throw from my home. I had already planned a July trip to Chicago, and was booked to stay at the Radisson Blu in Jeanne Gang's iconic Aqua building, but hyperventilated again when I found out the Langham would open one week before my visit. I hyperventilated once more when my eagerness was rewarded--a kind staffer (thank you, Ms. Nielsen!) personally processed my reservation manually, before the reservations department was operational (she said although I wouldn't be the first guest arriving, I was the first individual guest reservation confirmed), and then graciously offered a special pre-opening introductory rate and an upgrade to a river view suite. I couldn't have been more delighted even if Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House were to become a bed and breakfast.

The Langham had a soft opening on July 10; my stay began on July 17. While parts of the hotel are still under construction, it is very clear the hotel has 5 star potential and aspirations. The meticulous groundwork has definitely been laid down and is quite evident to even the most casual observer. I believe the Langham group, which began in 1865 in London, is aiming for this hotel to become one of its flagship properties.

THE BUILDING

The 52 story IBM building was completed in 1971 and was one of Mies' last; he actually passed away before its completion. It stands on the north bank of the Chicago River between State and Wabash Streets, sandwiched between Bertrand Goldberg's landmark Marina City towers and Adrian Smith's less well-regarded Trump Hotel and Tower. All 3 are major pieces in Chicago's architectural chessboard. The IBM building is now known as 330 N. Wabash, and will soon be called the AMA building after the American Medical Association becomes its primary tenant in a few months. The Langham has added a brightly lit gold canopy over its entrance, but below Mies' larger entry canopy. Let's hope he hasn't turned in his grave--the canopy is one of Langham's concessions to the comfort of its guests over Mies' austere design concepts.

THE PUBLIC AREAS

I am a curious person by nature, no more so than when exploring a new hotel. My thanks to all the kind and helpful staff who escorted me into room categories other than my own and into areas still unfinished during my stay. Note the more recent photos posted on TA by hotel management are more accurate that the stylized architectural renderings initially posted.

Ground Floor--Lobby

The main entrance is off Wabash St. It is here were the doorman, valet, bellmen and "Service Stylists"--outgoing women in Chanel-like pink suits--stand. There is another entry on State St., which is now thankfully locked, because I never saw any staff or security here. The lobby was designed by Mies' architect grandson, Dirk Lohan. The gold beaded curtains echo the gold canopy. The furniture is comfortable, white, and non-Miesian, except for a backless sofa on the State St. side. This is another concession to guest comfort--Mies' furniture is striking but not particularly comfortable. Mies used travertine marble extensively in many of his buildings, and such is the case here. The alabaster head sculpture, "Anna", is by Jaume Plensa, who designed Millennium Park's Crown Fountain. The red painting be Enoc Perez was commissioned by the hotel and is a stylized rendering of the building. At least 3 art curators worked on the hotel, including Lauren Rottet, and the collection has more than 140 pieces. The building has 3 elevator banks; the Langham has taken over one bank of 8 elevators for floors 1-13, which is now called 12C for Club level. One of the staff members escorts you to the 2nd floor reception area. Note the hotel will eventually have its signature pink London taxicab house car.

Second Floor--Reception Area, Restaurants and Meeting Rooms

The 2 story reception area is where the front desk personnel and concierges stand, all behind one long counter. More Service Stylists stand at the ready. Coloured glass pebbles hang from the ceiling, mimicking the reflective and fluid qualities of the Chicago River, visible through the floor-to-ceiling windows. The Pavilion is the only dining space open now, so it is serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. I had a wonderful breakfast experience here, although a bit pricey. Once the hotel's other restaurant opens, the Pavilion will switch to serving light fare and Langham's famous afternoon tea service, called Tiffin at the Langham. The other restaurant, Travelle, is still under construction and was closed off by curtains. Designed by David Rockwell, it will also have a lounge some Mies furniture and live entertainment. One of its art pieces is a large video installation that was visible from the street. The restrooms by the Pavilion have prints by James Nares, an artist of interest to me.

Third Floor--Ballroom and Meeting Rooms

The hotel's largest event space, the Devonshire Ballroom, is here. along with meeting rooms. Part of this floor overlooks the 2nd floor reception area and Pavilion. I particularly liked the paintings of famous paintings grouped as if in a museum, which hang in the ballroom foyer, where there are 3 Mies backless sofas.

Fourth Floor--Chuan Spa, Fitness Center and Pool

The Spa is not yet open, which I discovered before my visit when I tried to book a treatment. The fitness center and pool are open, however. The fitness center is quite large, and there will soon be a room for classes. The pool is also large, beautiful, and white, perhaps even has travertine stone,which Mies would have loved. I was allowed a peek into the Spa's unfinished treatment waiting area, with dual cascading waterfalls over marble, as well as art by Anish Kapoor of Millennium Park's "Cloudgate", or "The Bean" fame.

ROOMS

I was able to get a peek at 2 rooms types unlike mine. There are 268 rooms and 48 suites. Rooms are on floors 5-12C. The Club level rooms are on 11-12C, none of which were open. The Club Lounge will be on 12C. It's possible a few of the elevators will become dedicated to Club levels. I was supposed to get a Club Level suite, but this clearly was impossible.

The rooms, called Grand Rooms, are at least 516 sq. ft. They seemed very comfortable and well-designed. The bathroom had an enclosed WC and a wet room with separate tub and shower, plus the "reveal" glass wall that looks out into the bedroom and becomes opaque with the flip of a switch. There was a vanity area next to the closet. I noticed that even rooms not categorized as "river view" still can have a glimpse of the river, since the building is situated perpendicular to the river. Primary views will be of the Trump building or the Marina City or Hotel Sax buildings.

The other room I saw was a River View Grand. These rooms face the river directly, and there are only 2 per floor, sandwiched between River View corner suites. These rooms were laid out a bit differently, with a bath with a fully separate tub and shower, and no Reveal window. The bed faces the river.

My Room

My room was a southwest facing Classic River View Suite, 1230 sq. ft. of stylish sophistication. I could very well have been the first guest in the suite. I thought of the Gloria Stuart line from the movie "Titanic" that went something like, "I can still smell the fresh paint. The sheets had never been slept in. The china had never been used". The corner suite had a full wall of floor to ceiling windows facing the river, while the other wall faced Marina City, whose east tower parking area was eerily empty for refurbishment. The southeast facing suites would see Trump Tower and a bit of the lake. There was a powder room, the living room had a small dining table for 4, a sofa bed and 2 chairs, an desk, large TV, wet bar and minibar, and a chandelier. Furniture was non-Mies. The floors were hardwood-like, with carpeted inlays. The bedroom had a Mies white leather chaise, vanity, TV, a bed throw with a cityscape on it, and more full-length windows. The bath, done in marble, white granite and travertine, had 2 sinks with another TV in the mirror, a huge oval tube, enclosed WC and bidet, and a large shower stall with a bench and 2 heads. There was a heated towel rack. The bathsheets were bespoke. The bath and closet had sliding opaque glass doors. The photographs in the room echoed those in the hallways--on my floor (7), they appropriately included photos of the Farnsworth house. Many floors feature photos by famed architectural photographer Hedrich Blessing, who worked extensively with Mies, as well as William Wegman's dog photos.

Here's what I think the room could have used:
-A magnifying mirror in the bathroom.
-Better lighting around the sinks. There was a light switch for "vanity" but it did nothing. There were 2 covered electrical plates on both sides of the mirror, however, and in the Grand Room I saw, there were lights in these spaces.
-A full length mirror somewhere in the room.
-Something tasteful to cover the naked Kleenex box, perhaps something akin to the lovely chocolate stitched leather box that held the bath amenities.
-The Chuan soaps came in plastic cases that also served as soap dishes. I think more dedicated soap dishes are in order.
-Something to protect the entry door's wood when it is propped open by the security latch.
-The room had 3 spotlights on an empty wall that probably should have featured some art.
-The daily newspaper arrived in a plastic bag, great to reuse for dirty laundry, wet swimsuits, etc. But some guests would just discard them, so the hotel should consider using those bags without a complete bottom I've seen in other hotels--they aren't useful for anything else, so guests are more likely to leave them for reuse.

Housekeeping was decent but inconsistent in terms of thoroughness. My newspaper requests were not correct until the 3rd day. One day, housekeeping took the day's papers before I could read them. The drapes and sheers are switch-operated, and they also automatically opened upon entering. Sometimes they had minds of their own and just opened whimsically.

Service overall was magnificent--professional,attentive, outgoing, eager to go the extra mile, to satisfy my endless curiosity. This will serve the hotel well in Chicago's highly competitive luxury hotel market.

All in all, another welcome entry to the city's hotel scene. This hotel would not only satisfy the luxury traveler, but also the architecturally-minded traveler, which is a somewhat rare thing, even in Chicago. For the luxury-minded, this hotel would compete well in the market already occupied by such chichi places as the Waldorf Astoria, the Four Seasons, the Ritz Carlton (my former Chicago home), the Peninsula, Park Hyatt, and Trump. For the architecturally-minded, I would rate the Langham higher than the Radisson Blu and the historic Burnham--I've stayed at both and actually spent my last night in the city at the Burnham. For an untrained but unabashed, enthusiastic Mies fan, it doesn't get any better than this. Now if only Langham would take over part of the Seagram building in New York...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your detailed review. We appreciate your research and descriptions, and also your suggestions—which we have taken to heart and shared with our housekeeping and rooms managers. We’re glad to have you as one of our first guests, and look forward to a future visit as our hotel nears completion. Thank you again.

604 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Polish first
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Snagged this gem through Hotwire; couldn't believe it! I was in Chicago for the Pearl Jam concert at Wrigley and almost everything downtown was sold out. Ended up paying less for this truly amazing hotel than the Sheraton on the river was going for; that's just criminal! I've stayed at some of Chicago's best lodging (Ritz, Park Hyatt, Palomar) and this place stands in a class by itself. I would have to agree with a previous reviewer that the staff seems a little green, but hey, it's brand new. And everyone was very nice, and seemed to take pride in the hotel. The location is fantastic, right next to the Trump on the river. The building looks pretty average from the outside (it's actually an architectural landmark; can't remember the architect), but as soon as you step inside, wow!!! Absolutely beautiful! Incredibly tasteful and luxurious. The rooms were also gorgeous. 50 inch flat screens, rainfall showers, huge soaking tub; 100 percent on point! I could go on and on about this place, but long story short, I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your review—we really appreciate it. The rainfall showers and 55” flat-screen TVs are in all 316 of our rooms, so they will be in your next room as well should you return. Glad to hear you made it to the historic concert last Friday, and looking forward to having you stay again.

Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were impressed with the hotel and the effort the staff made to ensure a comfortable stay. This is a luxury hotel with the service and amenities one would expect. We appreciated the spaciousness of the room and the bathroom design was one of the most beautiful and functional that I have ever encountered in a hotel. While the restaurant was not open yet, the food that we sampled in the lounge was terrific and well presented. This is an expensive experience but I do not mind paying top price when I travel if the hotel delivers - The Langham did indeed deliver and we will return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience, and thank you very much for staying at our hotel. I’m very glad to hear that both the room design and Pavilion lounge provided exceptional experiences. We plan to open our restaurant, Travelle, in the coming weeks, and we hope you’ll have the chance to see it on a future visit. Again, thanks.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Checked in on Friday July 19th, my wife's sister and husband was visiting from Denver, they never experienced Chicago and wanted to stay downtown and enjoy this great city, they where staying at a comfort Inn just 4 blocks from our 5 star hotel. Reception into the 5star hotel was like a 5star should be... Over the Top! Proceed up to the 2nd floor were the front desk was located, did not see any guest waiting at check in nor did I see any guest milling around taking in the hotel, asked the front desk agent to please give me a double bed instead of a king they had reserved for me, I am a large man 6"3 - 300 lbs, the agent seemed new since this hotel was only a week old so she was getting coached by a male manger that was hovering over her shoulder they kept whispering back in forth to the verdict of I'm sorry since I booked my trip threw HotWire they couldn't honor my request! I asked why? There hotel was not even at 50% occupancy as per the door man, I asked again if there was anything that had 2 beds they said they have a room with 2 twin beds, I said that would bet fine, after further discussions with yet another superior female manager I felt my front desk agent was getting her strings pulled like a puppet, my request was denied yet again! I only wanted to be serviced so that's why we booked a 5 star hotel, we have stayed at four seasons hotels in the past and when in NY we always stay at the St Regis with this simple request always being for filled. The Langham Chicago front desk reception was poor at best, very disappointed for the service of a very simple request! When we continued to the comfort inn for check in for my sister-in-law. I asked them if it would be a problem if my sister-in-law wanted a double bed rather then a king and there answer was "that wouldn't be a problem"! For a third of the price I could have got- ting my service! The Langham Chicago is a very nice hotel but they need to work on front desk service! How can a 2 star hotel service my needs and not a 5star hotel...

Room Tip: Stay in room any floor that ends in 02, 04
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for sharing the details of your visit . I am so pleased that you enjoyed the initial arrival experience and am so sorry that we could not meet your request at check in. We are truly dedicated to doing everything possible to meet the needs of all of our guests.

We opened the hotel just a few days prior to your arrival, with a limited number of rooms available. At reception, our front-office team carefully reviewed the double-bedded rooms available with those reservations already made for this category, in the expectation that they could accommodate your request. Unfortunately this proved not to be the case. We will shortly have all rooms available, which will allow greater flexibility, and certainly hope that we will be in a position to welcome you back in the near future.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here one night. We booked it because there was little else available at the last minute. We didn't even realize it had just opened until about two days before our arrival. We were excited to be among the first guests. The furnishings in the lobby are modern and sleek, the colors are neutal and soothing. The floors are beautiful marble and carpeting that looks very rich and custom made. The walls and floors in the hallways are beautiful wood. The elevators are roomy, mirrored and elegant. The staff seemed competent and beyond welcoming. They are all dressed to the nines! The men wearing tasteful dark colored suits and the ladies in pink Chanel type suits. All looked fabulous! We had the standard room, which was ample size, one might even say large. The spacious bathroom had double sinks in a thick granite counter with storage shelves at eye level and underneath to accomodate all your "stuff". To the left of the sinks is an enclosed lavatory and to the right is an enclosed walk in shower with a rain shower as well as a hand held shower. There is also a soaking tub within the walk-in shower, that was unusual but it was very well done. The entire bathroom had beautiful tile work. The lighting is excellent. There is a large window in the bathroom that looks into the bedroom but with the flip of a switch the window becomes completely opaque. Very cool! The towels were exceptionally soft, fluffy and were monogrammed with an L sculpted in the nap of the towel. All the products were plentiful and smelled wonderful. There was a small leather box with all kinds of things you may have forgotten to pack! That's thoughtful. Across from the bathroom is a built in vanity with a little seat where the guest can sit down to apply makeup, that's a nice touch. The bed was luxurious and super thick, with high end feather pillows and a big, thick comforter. There are two comfortable chairs, an ottoman, and a small table. Also a desk and chair. The lighting was very well done, numerous lamps and ceiling lights, very multi/level. The entire room has all the very latest technology and plenty of electrical sockets. The 52" High Def TV is built into the wall. Lots of storage space, including two large closets with drawers in the bottom. This room really had it all. To top it off, we were the first guests in that room. We were impressed. Room service is fast and delicious. The hotel is in a beautiful downtown location, next to the river. My only concern was when we returned late that evening after midnight we walked right through the unattended lobby door, to the elevator, up to our room and there was no security. No one, period. That was a little disconcerning. This is the first week this hotel has been open so I would hope that was just an oversight. Although it was pricey, I think it is a good value considering space and amenities. I'd definitely call this a luxury hotel.

• Stayed July 2013
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for taking a chance last-minute on our brand-new hotel. It’s wonderful to hear how well you enjoyed your stay, and I was delighted to share your review. My colleagues and I appreciate the details you shared—it helps us to know what you and your husband found most useful and enjoyable.

We also appreciate the information regarding your late-night return and will work to ensure a more visible presence each night. Again, from all of us, thank you—we hope to see you again on a future Chicago visit.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Just opened, The Langham Chicago is luxury at a reasonable price. Love the huge bathroom, guest rooms with ten foot ceilings and contemporary furnishings. State of the art technology in the guest rooms and comfortable desk/work space make this a great hotel for business. I came here for a small conference and especially liked the comfortable meeting rooms and attentive staff.

I will look for a weekend deal, and come back with my wife!

Room Tip: Be sure to use the electronic "privacy" indicator next to the door when in your room. I ha...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
LanghamChicago, General Manager at The Langham, Chicago, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you for visiting The Langham Chicago in our first week as an operating hotel, and for sharing the details of your experience here. I’m glad the workspace in your room and the meeting rooms were comfortable and conducive to productivity. Also, we appreciate the detail about the “privacy” indicator and shared your review with our Rooms and Housekeeping managers.

As far as return weekend deals, we offer a number of packages on our website that may be the right match for you and your wife. Again, thanks very much for staying with us, and we hope to see you again on a future visit.

The Langham, Chicago

Been to The Langham, Chicago? Share your experiences!