“Great hotel spoiled by noise.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyatt Place Chicago / River North

You added Hyatt Place Chicago / River North to your Saves list
Hyatt Place Chicago / River North
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   66 West Illinois Street, Chicago, IL 60654 (Near North Side)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Self Parking Package
Ranked #17 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
London, United Kingdom
“Great hotel spoiled by noise.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

This hotel is an excellent place to stay in central Chicago. A wide choice of bars and restaurants right outside. The staff were great and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The inclusive breakfast buffet is quite good but hot food suffers if left on the heaters for a while. Also, it can get a bit unpleasant at very busy times with people vying for food and somewhere to eat it. The buffet is open from 7 till 10am. We were there for eight days and would advise people to get down to breakfast before 8.45 ESPECIALLY on Saturday mornings. But by far the biggest problem with this hotel is the Chicago Fire Department facility just across the road. Fire trucks and Paramedic vehicles storm out of there at all hours with their blues and twos going at full volume. As in all big cities, Friday nights are the worst. For light sleepers like us it was a major problem and means that we, reluctantly, would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as you can get. It will mute the City noise but will not do much for the e...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Greetings Chris & Chris,

It is never pleasant to disappoint our guests, and I feel as though we were so close to hitting the mark for you. There are certain factors that are out of our control, such as the roar of the city, but we try our best to offer amenities to ease any disturbance. We hope to have another opportunity to make a positive impression upon you.

Safe and Peaceful Travels,

Hyatt Place Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Indonesian first
FFM
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Worth to consider as hotel when you are traveling with a limited budget. Close to many shops, restaurant, 2 movie theaters, restaurant, bars, clubs. Above average breakfast offering which is even included. Free wifi. Fitness room mainly equipped with cardio machines.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience regarding your recent stay. I'm pleased that you see the great value in our amenities and location. Our A.M. Skillet is one of the best complimentary breakfasts in town, and our Wi-Fi is strong and solid. Thank you for staying with us; we look forward to your next visit.

Joshua Schreib
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

We had a drink at the bar and casually mentioned that I usually make my girlfriend a spicy martini with chipotle kettle one vodka. The bartender Kevin didn't have the drink but slaved over the next few minutes trying to master a facsimile with Tabasco. Above and beyond. Great group!

• Stayed September 2013
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Greetings Mr. Russo,

Sometimes you only have a moment to make an impression, and I am pleased Kevin jumped at the chance to "wow" you and your girlfriend. We are fortunate to have such a customer oriented team member. I will be certain to share your comments with him and the rest of the staff. I hope you will join us again in the future, and perhaps Kevin will have another opportunity to master your specialty drink.

Warmly,

Joshua Schreib
toronto, ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay at this hotel! It was in a great location, within walking distance of a number of the sights! Felicia at the front desk was incredibly helpful! She told us about a number of great restaurants and sights to see. She was very helpful and even went as far as to call a number of high profile restaurants to try to get us reservations at places with long waiting lists. Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
HyattPlaceChicago, Manager at Hyatt Place Chicago / River North, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
The Hyatt Place Chicago River North thanks you for sharing your experience regarding your recent visit. I am delighted that Felicia was incredibly helpful in sharing her suggestions on sight-seeing and dining. I hope she was able to secure a reservation for you at one of the high profile restaurants. I will be sure to acknowledge and thank her for her service to you, our valued guests.

Warm Regards,

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here for a work trip after staying at a real stinker when I was last in Chicago. The staff was really friendly and helpful without being overly saccharine. The hotel is new, so in great condition. My room was clean, spacious and comfortable. The windows are large (don't worry, they have blackout curtains) and can even be opened a little bit, something I really appreciate. The location is good - easy walk to the Loop or anywhere downtown. Also, the breakfast was very tasty - lots of options and since you serve yourself it is quick. I'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
We are very pleased that you enjoyed your recent business trip to the Hyatt Place Chicago River North. We understand our business travlers need space and convenience, which is why Hyatt Place is ranked #1 Select-Service Brand by Business Travel News. We hope to have earned your loyalty, and anticipate your next arrival.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and friends while travelling to Chicago from Ontario. We loved this hotel. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful always giving us directions and waving down cabs. The rooms were very clean, modern and pretty sound proof. We enjoyed the complimentary breakfast, although it became quite busy on the weekend. The staff that were in charge of that were very patient, helpful and pleasant. The only thing that wasn't so great was that the hotel was across from a fire station, which could be noisy at times, however, we never heard anything from in our room. I would recommend this to anyone, but especially to families!!

Room Tip: There is no pool or spa! Get up early if you don't want to stand in line for breakfast.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
A hotel is only as awesome as its guests, and we have the best! Thank you for making us your hotel of choice while visiting from Ontario. We do have a great AM Skillet, which draws in a large crowd, but our extended seating in our Gallery provides plenty of room to accommodate our guests. We also provide trays to our guests who would like to dine in the privacy of their rooms. We hope you enjoyed Chicago, and hope to be your first choice in accommodations for any future reservations!

Many Thanks,

Barnet, Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is the 2nd time I've stayed in this hotel, good location, really good service from all staff.

Bedrooms are clean and modern, room was cleaned really quickly but spotlessly clean, no matter what time I left the room - sometimes 2 or 3 and it was still clean when I got back.
The TV was modern and had a planner so I could see what programmes were on now and next and had handy ports at the front so I could plug my ipad in and watch programmes from my ipad on the TV.

Lots of sockets in handy places, by the desk and by each side of the bed. I usually end up un-plugging lights etc in other hotels, so very pleased that they had put some thought into this.

Wi-fi really speedy, had to log in each day but didn't take long and could have 5 devices, which was very handy.

I didn't notice the noise from the fire station. I was on the 11th floor, not sure if that was why.

Breakfast for toast and cereal was good, my favourite thing about breakfast was that they didn't insist on showing me to a table, you can sit where you want, but if you needed anything from the staff, they were always close by and quick to clear plates etc. Tea and coffee stations were set up by the elevators so if i didn't have time for breakfast, I could grab a tea before heading out and didn't need to go to breakfast to get it.

Good location for food and shopping.

The only thing this hotel needs was a safe in the room - not that anything got stolen, but it would have given me peace of mind.

Would definitely stay here again.

Ms. Fernandes,

Thank you for sharing your recommendation of the Hyatt Place Chicago River North with other Trip Advisor Reviewers. Seasoned business travelers like you have a keen eye and notice the little details such as the plug and play options on the televisions, easily accessible outlets and strong, continuous Wi-Fi throughout the hotel that keep our guests coming back for more. We appreciate that you have noticed our offerings, and we will also share your feedback regarding the suggestion of providing an in-room safe.

Thank you for being our guest!

Hyatt Place Management

Been to Hyatt Place Chicago / River North? Share your experiences!