“Great food” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #877 of 8,382 Restaurants in Chicago
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean, Romanian, Eastern European
Good for: Entertaining clients
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: With a history spanning over three decades, Little Bucharest Bistro has a new face in Chicago’s Old Irving Park area. Originally opened in 1970 and closed in 2004, the new Little Bucharest, which translates to “Little Paris of the East”, blends a touch of Eastern European heritage with American contemporary fare in a vibrant and modern atmosphere.“I wanted to bring the signature high-energy vibe of the old Little Bucharest into a new setting,” says restaurateur Branko Podrumedic. “The bistro will present Eastern European flavors in an approachable way to appeal to a more diverse yet discriminate audience.”
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

If you like eastern european food at all, like schnitzel or cabbage rolls or home-made bread... Look no further, this place will make your belly happy, trust a fat girl.
I've tried a lot of the dishes I know I like - over the years, a few favs include the eggplant salad (salata de vinete), tripe soup, porridge made from maize flour (mamaliga), cabbage rolls (sarmale). take some adventurous friends and try a bunch and see what you like.
These are very simple recipes and are some of the best tasting I've had.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Deerfield, Illinois
“A Taste of Romania”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Nestled in a small pocket of a neighborhood on the Northwest side, Little Bucharest brings you back to the old world where food, drink, and good conversation all contribute to a very comforting dining experience. The owner is extremely personable and welcoming and makes you feel that you are rather in his home than in his restaurant. The food is very good, many dishes reflective of native Romanian cuisine and reasonable. We visited Little Bucharest with our son and daughter-in-law who live not far from here and recommended that we dine there as they had previously dined there and really liked it. The veal paprikash and the romanian steak are absolutely delicious. My daughter and I split some borscht which was reminiscent of how it was prepared by our grandmother. Every dish is delicious and the ambience is warm and friendly by the waitstaff. My husband took his friends there for dinner and they all enjoyed it. i would definitely recommend this restaurant if you are looking for good food and a good time.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chicago, Illinois
“Eastern Europe in Chicago!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We've been to Little Bucharest several times and have always been impressed with food and service. We've had the smoked salmon and sausages/polenta for appetizers. This last time we had
veal paprikash and their famous short rib goulash. The beef in the goulash is so tender and it's over homemade gnocchi. We're Italian and we know our gnocchi and these are incredible.
The owners are husband and wife. He's on the floor making sure everything is running well (and it is) , coming by several times to check with us and his wife is in the kitchen with her grandmother's recipes. Entrees are under $20.00 and a really good Cabernet from Romania. We'll keep coming back.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012 via mobile

I must admit not really knowing how this place would be but we had been passing for over a year and wondering.
Four of us went on a Saturday night and the food was excellent! I had the pork schnitzel.
Small but good wine list and we selected wines from Romania. Again, we were surprised at how good they were.
The owner shopped by a few times to ensure we were happy and he was a very pleasant gentleman.
Must admit that our server was a little slow but we determined why.....she was also the bartender.
We are going back!

North Carolina
“Wish I had left when I read the menu selection”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

I did not like the menu selections at this restaurant. The portions were small and the food was forgettable. i would have left and went someplace else but I was with a group who wanted to try the selections. No one was happy with what they ordered.

Visited August 2012