“It's my home away from home” 4 of 5 stars

Carlton Inn Midway
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4944 S. Archer Avenue, Chicago, IL 60632   |
Ranked #33 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“It's my home away from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I go to Chicago every year for a full week of work. The people who work at Carlton Inn remember me. They are the most friendly, helpful, courteous hotel folks I've ever come across. The rooms are neat and clean. I like having the refrigerator and microwave in the room. I need those! For my job, this hotel is the perfect location. It's a free and quick shuttle ride from Midway and it's easy to get on the Stevens Expressway. There is a good grocery nearby, small non-chain restaurants, a Target, etc.
I will emphasize that the staff at Carlton Inn Midway are the reason this is a great place to stay. They go out of their way to take care of you and are genuinely friendly and helpful. See you next year!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

376 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Liberty, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great staff service, good clean rooms, good food. Stayed for a couple of days, and it was still pleasant afterwards. We would recommend it to anyone staying in this area of Chicago. Will be staying here again in the future! ~Xavier

Longmont, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The Carlton Inn near the midway airport is a decent friendly place to stay.The room was clean if not well appointed. The bed was horrible, lumpy and hard on one side and lumpy and soft The grounds and surrounding area was clean and well kept. The staff was always friendly and helpful. They were also very responsive to room requests. But, the best reason to stay at the Carlton Inn is the shuttle service. In particular one driver who made our stay terrific. He picked us up from the airport with pleasant conversation, made a couple suggestion for where to eat and helped us out with some necessities we had forgotten. He ran us around a couple more times always pleasant and helpful. He also teaches martial arts to kids at the local rec center. He is a true chicagoian. They serve a free continental breakfast, but don't be fooled the pancakes taste like rubber. Do try out Pindos for breakfast. The neighborhood is not the greatest so do take them up on the free shuttle service. The L is only a couple blocks away and they will shuttle you over. If you take a cab into downtown it will cost $25-$30. All in all the Carlton is not the Hilton, but worth the money so if you go say hi to our driver for us.

Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a very nice two-story motel in a nice residential area near the Chicago Midway airport. Their shuttle service provides convenient access to Midway and to nearby restaurants and grocery stores. The Pulaski station of the Chicago Transit Authority "L" system is less than a five minute walk from the motel. The rooms are clean and well maintained. I will stay here again on my next visit to Chicago.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I picked this motel based on the reviews I read regarding the friendly staff and the location to a train station. The price was in my range but far from downtown, the train right around the corner only took 10 to 15 mins to get downtown. The Carlton Inn desk gave me perfect directions to get to the hotel using public transit from the bus station, they picked me up at the train station and showed us to our room. Later that night they recommended a bar/grill and gave us a ride there, picked us up when we finished dinner, took us by a convince store to but random things and back to the motel. The next morning they woke us up when we requested had a huge breakfast selection and a ride back to the shuttle to head down town. All the desk workers and drivers were very friendly and helpful. We will defiantly come back to Chicago and stay at the Carlton Inn Midway when we do.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Sunnyvale, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed in Carlton Midway Inn during Chicago marathon. Both rooms were very clean and quiet. Breakfast was good. Shuttle to MDW airport is convenient but we did not use it. "El" train station is only 7-8 min away but it takes ~20 min of ride to get to The Loop. - this is the only drawback.
Do not forget to show your AAA card - the do honor it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

I had an early flight out of Midway airport and needed somewhere close to stay one night. The hotel is older, actually a two story motel with all outside entrances. The front desk staff were very friendly. They have a full breakfast, but the kicker is you walk down the street to a restaurant with a seven dollar voucher. The restaurant is okay, just a local cafe. Had a full eggs and potatoes meal, but it is hard not to go over the voucher dollar amount and then to tip on top. The rooms are quite spaces with a fridge, microwave, and eating area. The bathroom is dated, but very serviceable. I am told there is a shuttle. Don't know, didn't need one. Also, supposedly near the El, but didn't notice. It is close to the airport which is what I needed and it worked just fine. I thought is was a little pricey at 120 per night, but it is Chicago, I guess.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Gary G, General Manager at Carlton Inn Midway, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Stonecreek Arabians,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for taking the time to comment. I am happy that we met your needs for lodging for an early Midway flight. Our remodeled breakfast area has been re-opened for about two months now after a temporary closure for repair and renovation. During your stay we were using the adjoining restaurant with a voucher to serve our breakfast. I apologize for any resulting inconvenience the closure caused and look forward to serving you when future need arises.
Warm Regards,
Gary

Been to Carlton Inn Midway? Share your experiences!