“Awesome experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 167 hotels in Chicago
AL
“Awesome experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

This hotel is great! It is very conveniently located near the train/bus station and restaurants. There is also a complimentary free shuttle bus that runs 24/7. Their kitchen was being remodeled, so they provided vouchers for a free breakfast each morning at a local restaurant that was close nearby. The hotel is clean and the staff was very friendly and accommodating. I definitely recommend this hotel and I would stay there again.

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Prestwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My partner Martine and I stayed at the hotel in June for 10 days on our visit to take in the Chicago Blues Festival, we chose the hotel based on previous great reviews and they were all up to the mark. The hotel is perfectly situated a couple of minutes from the CTA system which takes you into downtown Chicago in 20 minutes and there is a free shuttle service to and from, not only the station but any local restaurants should it be required. Our 2nd storey room was more than adequate for our needs with everything we required for our 10 day stay, quiet, cleaned daily and very comfortable bed. An excellent vouchered breakfast was available every morning at the New Pindos restaurant two doors down and really set us up for the day. However it was the warmth and friendliness of the staff that really made our stay at the Carlton so exceptional, Gary, Valerie and the rest of the staff should be really proud of themselves for the manner in which they look after their guests, I cannot speak too highly about them. Chicago was an amazing friendly city and the Blues Festival more than surpassed our expectations, we would have no hesitation going back for another visit and would definitely stay at the Carlton Midway Hotel again

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Chicago was the beginning point for my Route 66 trip through Illinois and Missouri. Spent 4 days here, seeing all the sights on my list without the high price hotels, traffic and parking fees. This was in a great location, so easy to get to the subway and go anywhere you wanted to in Chicago.
They do have a breakfast in the morning which is good but I need a high protein start. There is a diner a block away that opens at 5:30AM with great breakfast items.
When I checked in I was given a CTA map and guide plus was able to purchase a 3 day CTA pass which I used everyday. I found it lots of fun to ride the train into the city everyday. I had planned this trip 6 months prior and studied the CTA system so I knew exactly where to get off and change trains.
There are several restaurants in the area. One night I ate in Red Lobster that was pretty good.

My room was clean and comfy, located on the second floor in the back. My window faced a local street and was very quiet.
The staff was friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Saint Charles, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We wanted to visit the sights in Chicago but not pay the high prices to stay downtown. We found the Carlton and saw the great reviews on line. The people were so nice on the phone and gave us a great deal as well. It is close to the transit authority and they even have free shuttle service if you want. Parking there is free. The rooms are very clean and comfortable. But the best part to me was the personal service they give you. Anything you ask they will help you with answers to all your questions if possible. The Manager, Gary was so kind and caring about you and one of his assistants, Valerie is as sweet as can be ! Their Mascot "Buddy" is also very lovable. The Inn appeared to be safe and secure although it is not an "upscale" neighborhood. I would stay there again any time. A Happy Missouri Guest-Sue

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fort Wayne, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

On June 7 and June 8 we had three rooms at the Carlton Inn which I found on TripAdvisor. Our family of 11 was in Chicago for a grandson's participation in the Pitch, Hit and Run event at U.S. Celluar Field. I wanted to be close to the ballpark, the front desk was very friendly and helpful in arranging for the rooms. The rest of the staff was also friendly and helpful in meeting our needs that weekend. We would stay there again.--A Thankful Grandfather.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Spring Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Went to the Chicago Blues Fest, and my Wife and I normally stay downtown. We decided to save a couple bucks and stay outside of town. I chose this hotel based on all the great reviews, and the others did not fail us. This place was perfect. The rooms were great, they treat you like gold, they offer free shuttle service to the train station (two blocks away), and to all area restaurants. One of the shuttle drivers named Steve is the greatest!! We took the train (orange line) from the hotel to Grant Park for the festival for $4.50 round trip. The hotel also gives you a $7.00 voucher towards a full service breakfast just a couple doors down from them, which was great! We told the hotel that we were also going to the Kingston Mines blues bar and they said hold on, we have a coupon for that which was get 4 people in free which was also a $60.00 savings! I'm the kind of person that will let a business have it if I feel I didn't get treated well, but folks, take it from me, the Carlton Inn Midway is the way to go! My Wife and I will definitey stay there anytime we go back to Chicago.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

We needed an affordable yet good hotel in Chicago to stay for almost entire week. We traveled for business and needed a place with free parking and Internet. Parking in Chicago is expensive ($20-$30 for couple of hours in a public parking in the Downtown). This hotel is far from the Downtown, but just 5 minutes walk away is a CTA train station and you can get to the downtown in 20 minutes. Hotel is secure and safe though located not in the best place possible. I left my laptop and passport there. Customer service is very good indeed. Staff at the hotel is really carring about their customers.

• Stayed June 2013

Been to Carlton Inn Midway? Share your experiences!