“Nice motel,friendly staff, close to downtown” 4 of 5 stars

Carlton Inn Midway
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4944 S. Archer Avenue, Chicago, IL 60632   |
Ranked #27 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Orlando, Fl.
“Nice motel,friendly staff, close to downtown”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We were visiting family and booked this motel because of its proximity to family and downtown,and free parking. We were able to check in early in the day which was nice and the front desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean for the most part,there was a dirty towel left behind the bathroom door and the carpet needs a good shampooing. The microwave and refrigerator were a nice plus. We found the room very quiet at night as well and rarely heard any planes. The drive to downtown took about 15 minutes and using the app Spothero helped us find cheap parking for the days we wondered around downtown. Overall the room served the purpose as it was really only used to sleep.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm not sure what is going on with this property. One of the negative reviews I saw before my trip has disappeared. It was from a gentleman who had just arrived in his room and could tell things weren't right. I figured his negative review was just a fluke. Big mistake! We arrived after midnight and it was too late to try to find anything else. First, the room was clean and the staff was friendly, but that should be expected anywhere. I did enjoy the shower. My teenage daughter was nervous because of the neighborhood the hotel is in. The beds were small and I have never slept on a more uncomfortable mattress. My mattress at home is pillow top, but nothing too fancy - not Sleep Number, Tempur-Pedic, or anything like that. I could feel the springs poking into me on the mattress at Carlton Inn. About the time I was able to finally get past my discomfort and get to sleep, the ridiculously loud heating/cooling unit would start up. It woke my husband and I up several times in the night. With the shape of the property, the parking was in the middle of all of the rooms, and every time someone else would arrive or depart, the noise would wake me up. I woke up early the next morning and called the hotel office immediately. I was informed that all of the hotel's beds are the same. I got on the phone with Orbitz and made arrangements to check out and get as much of my money back as possible. We stopped by the Carlton's continental breakfast buffet before we left. The donuts were stale and the breakfast sandwich was still frozen. We moved to the Holiday Inn and Suites by O'hare. We got a two-room suite with 2 queen beds for $89 per night. Our rate at Carlton was $137. The Holiday Inn beds were plush and comfy and the bedding was good quality. I'll be looking for Holiday Inn and Suites from now on wherever I go!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Gary G, General Manager at Carlton Inn Midway, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Ms. Eldridge,
I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet your needs on your recent stay. We were unaware there was an issue and wish that you had called it to our attention during your stay so that we could have addressed it at that time. In any event I thank you for taking the time to comment and I am glad that you found the room clean, enjoyed the shower and found the staff friendly.
Bed style and size are matters of individual preference. You booked a room with two Full Double Extra Long beds. It sounds like a Double Queen Room, available at the same rate, may have been a better choice for your needs.
As for the comfort of your mattress we pride our self on comfortable bedding. We use a high quality brand name mattress and replace them on a regular basis. Providing our guests a comfortable night's sleep is a top priority for us. I personally inspected your mattresses and was not able to duplicate your experience. Nonetheless I had both mattresses replaced in that room and am awaiting a visit from the manufacturer's representative to be sure that no other guest experiences a similar problem.
Regarding the continental breakfast, we do offer doughnuts and bagel sandwiches as part of our complimentary breakfast. They are delivered fresh each morning. The breakfast sandwiches are served wrapped and refrigerated with simple microwave heating instructions on the case. Our guests enjoy the sandwiches and consistently give it high marks for taste and convenience. I am sorry you were unaware that it needed to be heated.
Guest comfort and satisfaction are the cornerstones of our operation. I am so sorry for your experience and will reach out to you through your username to see if we can make amends.

Thank you again for your comments.
Davenport, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We went for a weekend trip, Baseball, Museums ect.
So it was at a good location to catch the L to get around.
The staff is super friendly and helpful. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable.
Glad we stayed and will definitely book a room again when we head to Chicago.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Pomona, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were just supposed to have a lay over in Chicago Midway airport on our way to Los Angeles but due to a terrible storm we were stuck at the airport. Fortunately we were able to get a room at your hotel for the night. Victor, the young man that checked us in, was so helpful, polite, and looked so well put together (considering he was so busy and it was about 1am). The shuttle driver Noel was great. The young man doing security at the hotel was very helpful. In addition to the staff at the hotel, we were so surprised with the laundry room availability and the complimentary shuttle service provided from and to the airport. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed. The close proximaty to the airport was also a plus. Your hotel saved us from having to sleep at the airport and again the staff on that night was terrific.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwalk, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

We came to Chicago for a family funeral, and needed to pick up a daughter @ Midway Airport, so selected this hotel, based on a great rate. We were welcomed professionally, and offered all forms of assistance - plances to eat, transportation, baggage assistance. We followed their dinner suggestion and had a memorably wonderful meal. The next morning they offered, and we accepted, transport to the airport to pick up the daughter. They knew their way around, so this went beautifully. WE will definitely stay here again, and recommend it to anyone.

Upland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Best stay and reasonably priced. Rooms are clean and quiet. Continental breakfast provided a variety of choices, plus coffee makers are in the rooms. Hotel is conveniently located just a block from CTA (the El) and only 4 or 5 stops from the loop making travel to and from the city easy. Even though its only a short walk, the hotel will shuttle you to and from the El if you prefer not to walk. The staff provided outstanding service and was very helpful. We asked for information on museums and were given a list of attractions that contained times and step by step directions to get to them. At one point we ventured off on our own and got lost - a call to the hotel and the staff put us back on the right track. Don't be fooled when you drive up, it looks like a Motel but the service will be like staying at a 4 Seasons. This will be one of the best stays you will have in Chicago.

Room Tip: The hotel is shaped like the letter U. We had a room in the back on the second floor. It was quiet...
London, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I were in Chicago for the weekend, Apr 13, 2013 to do a bit of shopping and site seeing so we did our looking around and found this hotel. I am glad we did as our experience was certainly a good one. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly counter person who was very informative and extremely helpful. She pointed out all the amenities and services this place had to offer, which were many.

After checking in, we entered the room and found it to smell clean and fresh, two traits we enjoy finding. Considering the location and the price we were very pleasantly pleased as they had a microwave, a fridge and all the things we would look for in an extended stay location. To bad we were only staying one night as this room was defiantly a nice one. We often travel and have stayed in a wide variety of places, ranking this one pretty high up on our list. The thing that defiantly makes the difference for us though is the people. Straight through the check in to the cleaning staff, it honestly goes to show that these people have pride in this place. Certainly something that was extremely nice to see.

It was defiantly well positioned to get on the subway to head down town, only few blocks down the street, and considering the free parking, it defiantly saved us a bundle staying here for the night. The subway got us down town in only 15 minutes, which is pretty good, the only thing that sucked was how cold it was along with the wait for the train, I am guessing we just missed one. Beyond that it was pretty convenient having it so close to the hotel which provided easy access to any point within the city. My only concern was that if we came back late at night, the area around the subway exit was a little scary looking, especially for someone not used to that sort of site. Thankfully we didn't have that problem and I am sure if we requested the shuttle it would have come pick us up.

For the price, quality and location I would defiantly stay here again, without a doubt. My only thought though would be that if I am again coming down for one night, I will probably spend the extra money to get a place down town just to save the time on seeing the sites. However since my next trip here will be a longer one, I will defiantly be booking a stay here without hesitation and would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality place to stay with some amazing staff while in the city and area.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, make sure you have a few days to spend as it can take a while to get...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Inn Midway? Share your experiences!