“The people make the difference” 5 of 5 stars

Carlton Inn Midway
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4944 S. Archer Avenue, Chicago, IL 60632   |
Ranked #29 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
London, Ontario
“The people make the difference”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I were in Chicago for the weekend, Apr 13, 2013 to do a bit of shopping and site seeing so we did our looking around and found this hotel. I am glad we did as our experience was certainly a good one. When we arrived we were greeted by a very friendly counter person who was very informative and extremely helpful. She pointed out all the amenities and services this place had to offer, which were many.

After checking in, we entered the room and found it to smell clean and fresh, two traits we enjoy finding. Considering the location and the price we were very pleasantly pleased as they had a microwave, a fridge and all the things we would look for in an extended stay location. To bad we were only staying one night as this room was defiantly a nice one. We often travel and have stayed in a wide variety of places, ranking this one pretty high up on our list. The thing that defiantly makes the difference for us though is the people. Straight through the check in to the cleaning staff, it honestly goes to show that these people have pride in this place. Certainly something that was extremely nice to see.

It was defiantly well positioned to get on the subway to head down town, only few blocks down the street, and considering the free parking, it defiantly saved us a bundle staying here for the night. The subway got us down town in only 15 minutes, which is pretty good, the only thing that sucked was how cold it was along with the wait for the train, I am guessing we just missed one. Beyond that it was pretty convenient having it so close to the hotel which provided easy access to any point within the city. My only concern was that if we came back late at night, the area around the subway exit was a little scary looking, especially for someone not used to that sort of site. Thankfully we didn't have that problem and I am sure if we requested the shuttle it would have come pick us up.

For the price, quality and location I would defiantly stay here again, without a doubt. My only thought though would be that if I am again coming down for one night, I will probably spend the extra money to get a place down town just to save the time on seeing the sites. However since my next trip here will be a longer one, I will defiantly be booking a stay here without hesitation and would recommend this to anyone looking for a quality place to stay with some amazing staff while in the city and area.

Room Tip: If you are going to stay here, make sure you have a few days to spend as it can take a while to get...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Bases on multiple reviews, we chose to deviate from our normal Chicago stays and picked a hotel outside the downtown area. The Carlton Inn exceeded our expectations particularly because of the the office staff. In all of my travels, we cannot recall any management as helpful and sincere as those at the Carleton Inn. We had wonderful suggestions and even a tutorial for using the train. Absolutely a great stay and opportunity to avoid expensive downtown parking fees.

• Stayed April 2013
Vancover, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

This property is hard to rate -- a super-nice staff goes the extra mile in every regard, for an old-style motel in a dour area. Convenience to Midway Airport and to the Chicago transit system are big pluses. Our room was fine but not memorable, and plane-noise was noticeable. If you're price-conscious, this is a very good choice at Midway.

Room Tip: First floor might be better for many folks, as the stairways to the 2nd floor are steep and narrow.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Staye don business, and while an older hotel, definitely full of charm. I liked that it was slightly different and unique than a regular box hotel. The bathroom was stunning with hex tile covering almost every surface, exposed chrome bath fixtures and neat claw foot tub. I worked with an architectural firm and from a design standpoint, it was a good unique place full of character to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am an over the road trucker in my truck broke down in Chicago today when I arrive at the Hotel the staff was very helpful the room was a lot better than I expected the stuff help me pull my stuff into the room they gave me a ride from the garage to the hotel then back to the garage the next day if I break down in Chicago again I am definitely staying here again

• Stayed April 2013
Brockport
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

One of my all time favorites and a genuine sleeper of a deal. Spotless and spacious rooms. Superb and hospitable service. All the staff fromYolanda and Valerie and YYvonne at the front desk to John and my favorite shuttle driverSteve made the stay the best part of the trip. An absolute bargain. Close to orange line. Great free breakfast with Dunkin Donut sandwiches and donuts. Can't wait to return.

• Stayed March 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked this hotel in the random price lottery through Priceline, as my flight was unexpectedly delayed and I needed inexpensive accommodations quickly. Since I had never heard of Carlton Inn, I assumed it was a locally-owned hotel (which concerned me, having seen Priceline's evaluation of hotels).

I called the hotel and the clerk immediately dispatched a shuttle to pick me up. Jon, the driver, was pleasant and helpful with tips about the area. I arrived at the hotel and horror flashed before me ... the area looked dangerous and the buildings appeared old and rundown. I immediately wanted to protest and have Priceline refund my monies. But, I was stranded due to lack of transportation so I decided to make the most of it.

The clerk who checked me in was polite; however, she failed to honor the Priceline rate as she stated in our phone conversation. (I had to stay two nights due to the flight delay, but was only able to book one night online due to the late hour). Too tired to argue, I resigned myself to a less-than-mediocre night and went down the breezeway to my room, as the hotel has only outside room entrances.

Upon opening the door, I was invited into a small slice of luxury. The rooms were simply appointed but very modern in design and decor. The television was the same as the internationally-acclaimed 4-start hotel I had left the night before ... but the refrigerator and microwave were included complimentary at this property! In a separate area, like a walk-through office, I had plenty of desk space to spread out and work. Near the bed was an armchair to sit back and enjoy television. There must have been 15 hi-def movie channels PLUS a complete Comcast cable lineup that included all of the networks I love. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the bathroom was very clean which gave me final comfort that the stay would be fine.

The complimentary breakfast was simple and tasty. Again, the microwave in the room made heating up the extra sandwich quite convenient. There was a diner and several fast food options within walking distance. If you go to the diner, beware that service may not be great. But the food is tasty, so you will just save money on gratuity.

My only concern was my room had windows in both front and back. However, the inn did provide an overnight security guard who was vigilant and very helpful.

Upon departure, the shuttle driver, Noel, came down to my room to carry my luggage and load it on the van. He also helped me into the airport since I had more bags than hands. Again, all of the staff was very helpful in accomodating every request.

While the property is not 5-star glamorous, it is an affordable and appealing alternative to the brand-recognized hotels such as Hampton Inn or Best Western. I would choose this "diamond" again and enjoy the savings without sacrificing a large portion of the quality expected from a hotel stay.

*** One last note to the hotel management: I suggest removing the dog with the bandana from the lobby area. He's truly a lawsuit waiting to happen, even though he seems harmless and unassuming.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gary G, General Manager at Carlton Inn Midway, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments-we always appreciate them. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and will welcome you again with the same warmth you experienced on your recent stay.
We strive to provide a “visiting friends and family” experience when guests visit our Carlton family and Buddy “The Guard Dog” (if you must refer to him as such) is a gentle, friendly, hypoallergenic creature who belongs to one of our employees and has been with us for 10 years. Just as we do- Buddy loves having guests but will not approach a guest unless the guest approaches him for a hug or pet. Needless to say, he is wildly popular with kids-frequently posing for pictures with them. We do occasionally move Buddy to the office if anyone is uncomfortable with him.
Again thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated and we hope to see you again.

Been to Carlton Inn Midway? Share your experiences!