“Diamond in the Rough” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #34 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Diamond in the Rough”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I booked this hotel in the random price lottery through Priceline, as my flight was unexpectedly delayed and I needed inexpensive accommodations quickly. Since I had never heard of Carlton Inn, I assumed it was a locally-owned hotel (which concerned me, having seen Priceline's evaluation of hotels).

I called the hotel and the clerk immediately dispatched a shuttle to pick me up. Jon, the driver, was pleasant and helpful with tips about the area. I arrived at the hotel and horror flashed before me ... the area looked dangerous and the buildings appeared old and rundown. I immediately wanted to protest and have Priceline refund my monies. But, I was stranded due to lack of transportation so I decided to make the most of it.

The clerk who checked me in was polite; however, she failed to honor the Priceline rate as she stated in our phone conversation. (I had to stay two nights due to the flight delay, but was only able to book one night online due to the late hour). Too tired to argue, I resigned myself to a less-than-mediocre night and went down the breezeway to my room, as the hotel has only outside room entrances.

Upon opening the door, I was invited into a small slice of luxury. The rooms were simply appointed but very modern in design and decor. The television was the same as the internationally-acclaimed 4-start hotel I had left the night before ... but the refrigerator and microwave were included complimentary at this property! In a separate area, like a walk-through office, I had plenty of desk space to spread out and work. Near the bed was an armchair to sit back and enjoy television. There must have been 15 hi-def movie channels PLUS a complete Comcast cable lineup that included all of the networks I love. MOST IMPORTANTLY, the bathroom was very clean which gave me final comfort that the stay would be fine.

The complimentary breakfast was simple and tasty. Again, the microwave in the room made heating up the extra sandwich quite convenient. There was a diner and several fast food options within walking distance. If you go to the diner, beware that service may not be great. But the food is tasty, so you will just save money on gratuity.

My only concern was my room had windows in both front and back. However, the inn did provide an overnight security guard who was vigilant and very helpful.

Upon departure, the shuttle driver, Noel, came down to my room to carry my luggage and load it on the van. He also helped me into the airport since I had more bags than hands. Again, all of the staff was very helpful in accomodating every request.

While the property is not 5-star glamorous, it is an affordable and appealing alternative to the brand-recognized hotels such as Hampton Inn or Best Western. I would choose this "diamond" again and enjoy the savings without sacrificing a large portion of the quality expected from a hotel stay.

*** One last note to the hotel management: I suggest removing the dog with the bandana from the lobby area. He's truly a lawsuit waiting to happen, even though he seems harmless and unassuming.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gary G, General Manager at Carlton Inn Midway, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments-we always appreciate them. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and will welcome you again with the same warmth you experienced on your recent stay.
We strive to provide a “visiting friends and family” experience when guests visit our Carlton family and Buddy “The Guard Dog” (if you must refer to him as such) is a gentle, friendly, hypoallergenic creature who belongs to one of our employees and has been with us for 10 years. Just as we do- Buddy loves having guests but will not approach a guest unless the guest approaches him for a hug or pet. Needless to say, he is wildly popular with kids-frequently posing for pictures with them. We do occasionally move Buddy to the office if anyone is uncomfortable with him.
Again thank you for your comments, they are very much appreciated and we hope to see you again.

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
SF Bay Area
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

We were there over St. Patty's Day and had a wonderful time. The staff could not have been any more helpful and knowledgeable about where to see the best of Chicago and the area. The shuttle was a saving grace with transport to the train and airport both day and night. The room was larger than we expected and very comfortable, clean and quiet. We must get back there soon with a bit warmer weather, but will definitely stay at the Carlton Midway again. Thanks for treating husband and I like family......

Room Tip: Ground floor was quiet, clean and very comfortable. Happy we didn't ask for the second level, s...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We wanted a weekend getaway in Chicago without overspending on the hotel. We chose this hotel which was under $200 for two nights. It was St. Patricks Day weekend. When we arrived at the hotel , the staff was very friendly. We did not understand how the "L" system worked and they provided us with a map and explained it all. They also provided us with the different fesitivies that was going on in the city. The hotel is located within 1 mile of the "L" which is about a 20 minute ride to downtown. The hotel provided us with a free shuttle to/from "L" station. I was skeptical of the cleaniness because of the price, but was pleasantly surprised. The room was quaint and clean. We had a wondeful stay and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Gary G, General Manager at Carlton Inn Midway, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience- we value your comments. We strive to offer the very best in concierge service and are glad we were able to direct you to some of the better events Chicago offers for St. Pat's weekend. Come back and see us this summer
Bloomington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Arrived very early to Midway (9:30am) and they picked us up, agreed to store our luggage til our room was ready, and gave us a room to use to change so we could head downtown, then gave us a ride to the "L". They could not have been more pleasant! Will definitely stay there again!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Suceava, Romania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

I don't know exactly how to start but first of all I want to thank everyone at Carlton Inn for making our stay so special and all the help they gave me with my plans to propose to my girlfriend. Everything was simply wonderful.
First of all, the shuttle came very fast at the airport to take us, the driver was very nice to take our luggage in the room and Talia upgraded our room from the full size bed to a queen size bed (which i can honestly say looked like a king) and this was very nice.Secondly Valerie gave us maps with the city, places where we can eat, she told us everything that we needed to know or asked.
When we got in the room we could not believe how nice and big it was. It had a table where we could stay and eat or stay at the laptop, a closet where we could hang some clothes and put our luggage, coffee, big television. For us to be more pleased everything was spotless, the bathroom very comfy, with a nice shower, shampoo and shower gel, and everything was smelling very clean,let's say.
Of course, we weren't there to stay inside, so we went to the train station, which by the way was very close, and enjoyed the city and the views. It's a truly spectacular city Chcago and personally i was very glad that i chose it to get engaged there:)
As you can see in the picture Valerie helped me with the heart and message for my girlfriend with the artificial rose petals i ordered from the Internet. Let's say that my fiance now was spechless when she saw everything, although i already had proposed at dinner.
I also don't want to forget thanking Gary for trying to help us find the Original Pancake House and being so nice with us. The breakfast was very simple, but for us it was enough. Also the location it good, it's a very peaceful and nice area in a good neighborhood. Not to forget, our room got cleaned every day and when we would come back in the night it would look brand new:)
If we would have an opportunity to come back in Chicago we would come back gladly to Carlton Inn. Thank you once again for making our stay so nice and for sure i will remember how everyone helped me with my engagement plans.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed 3 nights at the Carlton Inn in January, 2013 to attend a wedding reception and to do some sightseeing. We found absolutely nothing to complain about and the staff is fantastic. The hot breakfast was delicious and convenient. We will stay there again next trip.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We were delayed unexpectedly and were given the phone number for Carleton Inn Midway. They made the delay worth it. The rooms are very clean and the service was over the top. They offered to drive us to the local Walgreens and gave us lots of good information about the local restaurants.They answered our questions and when I forgot my charger, they called us to let us know and even couriered it to us. It's not far from the airport.
We will stay there again when we visit Chicago--this time on purpose!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton Inn Midway? Share your experiences!