“Most helpful staff” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Voorhees, New Jersey, Usa
“Most helpful staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We (family of 3) made somewhat last minute plans to visit the University of Chicago. Unfortunately it was the same weekend as the Chicago Marathon, and there were virtually no rooms available in or near the city. We were extremely fortunate to have found a double room at the Carlton Inn. This property is a standard motel, within close walking distance to the CTA orange line. My review is primarily about the exceptional staff and unexpected service and kindness. Regardless of the fact that they were over-the-top busy, they arranged taxis and other transportation for us, worked with us to ensure we would be where we needed for the many appointments we had on campus, and even picked us up from the bus station, with our bags, to then promptly shuttle us to the airport. This is a place that truly values their customers, and goes above and beyond to demonstrate it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

347 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cherokee Village, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

From the moment we stepped foot in the door, every single employer at Carlton Inn bent over backwards to make sure that we had everything that we needed. From printing directions off for us for our Chicago adventures, to taking us wherever we needed to go, and then picking us up from the Orange line after a busy day of exploring...they were on top of things and VERY helpful and kind. This is the ONLY place we will stay in Chicago when we visit, because we feel like family. Thank you ALL so much for making us Arkansans feel right at home in the windy city. We'll be back soon.

-Brooke & Brad Rega

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had a little difficulty finding the place even with GPS but the stay was enjoyable, the staff very friendly and helpful. Since I needed a handicap accessible room, they were abble to accommodate. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Bull Shoals, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Clean and functional, but the attitude of the staff and management puts this little place above the rest. Not only did they have a free shuttle, but took me to and collected me from local resturants.
Save yourself time surfing around looking for value and book this little gem. You will not be disapointed.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Vermillion, SD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Everything here is fine. The staff is friendly and helpful, the rooms are nice, and it's near the subway line. I will definitely stay here again. There's no swimming pool or restaurant, and there doesn't seem to be a NA option on the checklist, for things that they don't have.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We flew into Midway, called the hotel, the shuttle picked us up in 5 minutes. Check in was easy, they turned the heat on in the room before we got there, the internet was at full power on the far side of the building, the room was HUGE, the bed was HUGE, good shower pressure, good cable, they offered to print our boarding passes and gave us a ride back to the airport for FREE! (we tipped well, please tip well)
All in all a great hotel for a night's sleep and a clean room.
I didn't wonder the neighborhood, so I can't vouch for that but it looked cool and local. The restaurant up the street was really friendly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The reason why I made a reservation at this motel was that it was the only accommodation available in the whole Chicago area with reasonable rates and easily reached by metro (last stop on the orange line before Midway, 5 minutes on foot to the hotel). It turned out to be an excellent choice, and I can confirm the positive reviews already posted. When checking in, I was asked whether I preferred first or second floor, and I replied that I'd like a room far from the street. I was given room 215, on the second floor and facing northwest. It was extremely quiet, as the only noises I could hear (at daytime) were kids playing, planes on their landing path to Midway (which didn't bother me in the least), and occasionally a train whistle. The room was not really spacious, but more than adequate, clean and well equipped with fridge, microwave, coffee machine, and flat-screen TV with lot of channels. The queen size bed was firm but comfortable. I could sleep very well with no need for earplugs. The only very minor issue was that inside the room the WiFi signal was somewhat week and the connection dropped from time to time (though just getting closer to the door it got much more stable).

Continental breakfast was simple but quite good. The personnel was very friendly and helpful: they sold me a 3-day CTA pass, gave me a transportation map and a few tips on how to use metro and buses. The last day I checked out before 11, and having my plane later in the afternoon, asked if I could stay in the lobby for a couple of hours or so working with the laptop: they invited me to stay in my room till I was ready to leave, for no extra charge; very nice of them, I really appreciated it! There are many sites where to eat at walking distance, you'll find a list in the room.

To summarize, this is a basic but very nice motel, with affordable rates, well connected by metro, and with outstanding service.

Room Tip: Rooms facing northwest are very quiet.