“Superb Hotel in near north Chicago” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 169 hotels in Chicago
houston
“Superb Hotel in near north Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010 via mobile

We learned about this on Trpadvisor. It is a superb choice for loop area in Chicago. It's 1 block north of the river on State. The neighborhood is loaded with restaurants and pubs. The hotel offers complimentary drinks and snacks daily at 5:30 and breakfasts, so value is excellent. I'd go back without hestitation.

• Stayed December 2010
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Thank you for choosing the Amalfi and recognizing our location and value!

We are thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback on TripAdvisor and appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. My team is thankful for your recommendation and we hope to welcome you back again soon.

Melissa Driza
Amalfi Hotel Chicago

1,469 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on past tripadvisor reviews and was not disappointed. The hotel is in the middle of everything but still tucked away. Thr htrl to beautiful, the staff was nice and now i have a new favorite. I have stayed at tons of Chicago hotels and even of the chian hotels like the W or the Sofitel, I liked the Amalfi best. It is upscale without being stuffy. I will be back again and recommend it highly for anyone else.

• Stayed November 2010
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night as a little mid-week getaway, and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. From the lobby to the cocktail lounge to our room, everything was clean and comfortable. The free appetizers/drinks at 5:30 every day were a great touch and a nice way to get our evening started. The room was bigger than we thought it would be and the amenities were lovely. The decor was modern and chic, and even the bathroom exceeded our expectations. Plus we got a great deal through the hotel's website. I'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone coming to visit Chicago and even for locals looking for a little break from the norm.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

It's a really nice hotel, close to Michigan Ave. The view from the room is average, but this is always the case in Chicago when you stay in lower levels :-).
Room is OK for a 4 star hotel, very clean and comfortable with free internet, but the price of almost 200$ with tax is a bit too much, even for Chicago.
There is a free breakfast provided, but this is American style breakfast - a table on every floor with coffee, tea, soft drinks and some muffins. Nothing fancy.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I travel often but usually don’t need to stay in hotels (most travel is to my 2nd home on the west coast). The week of October 18th required travel with a hotel stay. I am a very particular person with an attention-to-detail. I booked a stay at the Amalfi for 3 nights on business. At first impression, I was impressed by the reception staff dress in their sleek attire with very cool hats for the bell staff. It reminded me of something very fashionable and current. The front desk area was something that totally surprised me as it resembled a reception area of a bank officer with just desks and chairs. The lobby area was very small but just the same, very comfortable. Check-in was completed in less than 5 minutes max with a reservation. The “experience designer” (desk clerk) was somewhat unreceptive, but I too was very short due to my own issues with airport travel. Nonetheless, if you choose to work in customer service, exceeding the customer expectations is the difference between thriving in business today and closing-up shop tomorrow. I stayed on the 5th floor (hotel has six floors) with a horrible view but I suppose it is impossible for all rooms having great views since the hotel is situated in downtown Chicago with tall buildings all over. The room was very small but surprisingly very stylish & comfortable. The bed was average but I did not have issue with the sleep quality. The iPod docking alarm clock was a nice touch. The shower was fine with plenty of hot water and had a double shower head that I liked very much. The bathroom amenities in my opinion were very nice products. I rarely use products in hotels but I found these products of a very good quality. The desk area was comfortable, adequate to do my work, and great internet connection (complimentary). Overall lighting was an issue but I just removed a lamp shade to get lighter. The room has a very nice bar setup that is well stocked with over priced items but does have free tea and coffee. The TV is a 26-30 inch flat screen with the standard hotel channels and overpriced movies. I did like the added DVD player with free movies at the front desk for your convenience. My only really negative was the carpet in the room. It was filthy and embarrassing. A major carpet cleaning is definitely needed. The exercise room was below average but I improvised and good in a fair workout daily. Finally, I very much liked the idea of the continental breakfast on each floor where you did not need to get dressed to go eat and the complimentary cocktail hour (5:30-7Pm) every night with light snacks. All-in-all, I very much liked my stay at the Amalfi and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Many thanks to the TripAdvisor community for your valuable feedback! We have reached out to this guest to follow up on the detailed comments and are happy to share some updates with other travelers.

Beginning this month, our fitness center will be renovated with new flooring, as well as upgraded with new work-out equipment with build-in LCD monitors. Also we are currently in the process of deep-cleaning the carpeting throughout the hotel and expect to be done with this treatment shortly.

Again we welcome your thoughts and comments and look forward to enhancing your experience at the Amalfi!
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I have stayed at the Amalfi twice over the last few months and will definitely do so again. The Amalfi is in a great location just a few blocks from shopping and business districts, has comfy, clean and spacious rooms, and the service is always friendly and cheerful. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but serves a continental-style breakfast on each floor by the elevators -- a very nice spread with breads, yogurt, cheese, juices, cereals, coffee and tea. On weekdays, there's also a happy hour with drinks and snacks in the lounge. Around the corner are plenty of restaurant and nightlife options, and the hotel is within easy walking distance of the Golden Mile in one direction and Millennium Park area in the other. The hotel is great for business travelers as well as anyone visiting the city for pleasure...it's a 'no frills' hotel and just a really great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your trips to Chicago! We welcome you to try Keefer’s Restaurant and Kaffe, located right in the building, if you have not done so yet. Their steaks and contemporary menu is highly recommended and an easy option for on-site dining as the hotel’s side entrance opens to the shared lobby.

I appreciate your excellent comments regarding the rooms, amenities and service and am happy to share them with my team. We hope to have you visit again soon!

Many thanks,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

My wife and I spent four wonderful nights at the Amalfi. The location was fabulous, as it was within walking distance of all of the great restaurants in the River North area, Michigan Avenue and even to the Loop area, Art institute, etc. The little extras really made a difference at this hotel. Having a continental breakfast on each floor along with a nightly cocktail hour (actually 1 1/2 hours), plus free wifi in the rooms made a big difference. There was also complimentary internet access in the business center along with a nice fitness center. My wife and I both felt that it was a nice change away from the big chain hotels as it was so easy to get back an forth from the lobby to your room (no long elevator waits, etc.) Also loved the bed and the double shower heads. We had great meals at Frontera Grill, Joe's stone crab, Lou Malnati's, Portillo's and at Harry Carey's. Our room was on the fifth floor and faced West Kinzie street so didn't have any noise issues like the previous poster experiened. Would definitely stay there again!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!