“Wonderful Stay, Wonderful Price” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Chicago, IL
“Wonderful Stay, Wonderful Price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night as a little mid-week getaway, and we couldn't have been happier with our experience. From the lobby to the cocktail lounge to our room, everything was clean and comfortable. The free appetizers/drinks at 5:30 every day were a great touch and a nice way to get our evening started. The room was bigger than we thought it would be and the amenities were lovely. The decor was modern and chic, and even the bathroom exceeded our expectations. Plus we got a great deal through the hotel's website. I'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone coming to visit Chicago and even for locals looking for a little break from the norm.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

1,457 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Polish first
Warsaw, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

It's a really nice hotel, close to Michigan Ave. The view from the room is average, but this is always the case in Chicago when you stay in lower levels :-).
Room is OK for a 4 star hotel, very clean and comfortable with free internet, but the price of almost 200$ with tax is a bit too much, even for Chicago.
There is a free breakfast provided, but this is American style breakfast - a table on every floor with coffee, tea, soft drinks and some muffins. Nothing fancy.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

I travel often but usually don’t need to stay in hotels (most travel is to my 2nd home on the west coast). The week of October 18th required travel with a hotel stay. I am a very particular person with an attention-to-detail. I booked a stay at the Amalfi for 3 nights on business. At first impression, I was impressed by the reception staff dress in their sleek attire with very cool hats for the bell staff. It reminded me of something very fashionable and current. The front desk area was something that totally surprised me as it resembled a reception area of a bank officer with just desks and chairs. The lobby area was very small but just the same, very comfortable. Check-in was completed in less than 5 minutes max with a reservation. The “experience designer” (desk clerk) was somewhat unreceptive, but I too was very short due to my own issues with airport travel. Nonetheless, if you choose to work in customer service, exceeding the customer expectations is the difference between thriving in business today and closing-up shop tomorrow. I stayed on the 5th floor (hotel has six floors) with a horrible view but I suppose it is impossible for all rooms having great views since the hotel is situated in downtown Chicago with tall buildings all over. The room was very small but surprisingly very stylish & comfortable. The bed was average but I did not have issue with the sleep quality. The iPod docking alarm clock was a nice touch. The shower was fine with plenty of hot water and had a double shower head that I liked very much. The bathroom amenities in my opinion were very nice products. I rarely use products in hotels but I found these products of a very good quality. The desk area was comfortable, adequate to do my work, and great internet connection (complimentary). Overall lighting was an issue but I just removed a lamp shade to get lighter. The room has a very nice bar setup that is well stocked with over priced items but does have free tea and coffee. The TV is a 26-30 inch flat screen with the standard hotel channels and overpriced movies. I did like the added DVD player with free movies at the front desk for your convenience. My only really negative was the carpet in the room. It was filthy and embarrassing. A major carpet cleaning is definitely needed. The exercise room was below average but I improvised and good in a fair workout daily. Finally, I very much liked the idea of the continental breakfast on each floor where you did not need to get dressed to go eat and the complimentary cocktail hour (5:30-7Pm) every night with light snacks. All-in-all, I very much liked my stay at the Amalfi and would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2010
Many thanks to the TripAdvisor community for your valuable feedback! We have reached out to this guest to follow up on the detailed comments and are happy to share some updates with other travelers.

Beginning this month, our fitness center will be renovated with new flooring, as well as upgraded with new work-out equipment with build-in LCD monitors. Also we are currently in the process of deep-cleaning the carpeting throughout the hotel and expect to be done with this treatment shortly.

Again we welcome your thoughts and comments and look forward to enhancing your experience at the Amalfi!
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

I have stayed at the Amalfi twice over the last few months and will definitely do so again. The Amalfi is in a great location just a few blocks from shopping and business districts, has comfy, clean and spacious rooms, and the service is always friendly and cheerful. The hotel does not have a restaurant, but serves a continental-style breakfast on each floor by the elevators -- a very nice spread with breads, yogurt, cheese, juices, cereals, coffee and tea. On weekdays, there's also a happy hour with drinks and snacks in the lounge. Around the corner are plenty of restaurant and nightlife options, and the hotel is within easy walking distance of the Golden Mile in one direction and Millennium Park area in the other. The hotel is great for business travelers as well as anyone visiting the city for pleasure...it's a 'no frills' hotel and just a really great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2010
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your trips to Chicago! We welcome you to try Keefer’s Restaurant and Kaffe, located right in the building, if you have not done so yet. Their steaks and contemporary menu is highly recommended and an easy option for on-site dining as the hotel’s side entrance opens to the shared lobby.

I appreciate your excellent comments regarding the rooms, amenities and service and am happy to share them with my team. We hope to have you visit again soon!

Many thanks,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

My wife and I spent four wonderful nights at the Amalfi. The location was fabulous, as it was within walking distance of all of the great restaurants in the River North area, Michigan Avenue and even to the Loop area, Art institute, etc. The little extras really made a difference at this hotel. Having a continental breakfast on each floor along with a nightly cocktail hour (actually 1 1/2 hours), plus free wifi in the rooms made a big difference. There was also complimentary internet access in the business center along with a nice fitness center. My wife and I both felt that it was a nice change away from the big chain hotels as it was so easy to get back an forth from the lobby to your room (no long elevator waits, etc.) Also loved the bed and the double shower heads. We had great meals at Frontera Grill, Joe's stone crab, Lou Malnati's, Portillo's and at Harry Carey's. Our room was on the fifth floor and faced West Kinzie street so didn't have any noise issues like the previous poster experiened. Would definitely stay there again!!!

Tampa, Fl.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

Have been staying at this hotel every year for 5 years but won't again. Seems that a nightclub moved in nearby and we could hear the bass thumping all night until 5:am. Upon complaining the reception person gave us a card and said "call me before you come NEXT TIME and we will get you a room away from the noise. I think hotel was full so that's why we were not offered another room. Stayed 4 nights and Sunday night was the only night we were not disturbed as the nightclub was closed. It's a shame as we always liked this hotel. Strange this is the first time we were NOT emailed a survey after out stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
The hotel appreciates all guest feedback and takes every opportunity to read reviews and comment cards in order to maintain the highest level of service and accommodations possible.

The General Manager has personally reached out to the neighboring establishment to address the noise disturbances this guest recently experienced. We regret that we were unable to make a room change or resolve the issue at the time of the incident. Additionally, we have reached out to extend our apologies and assure them that we are taking every measure to prevent it from occurring again.

Management Team - Amalfi Hotel Chicago
Clarinda, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

We were very pleased with our stay at the Amalfi...it is a smaller hotel and lobby, but very beautiful. The staff were VERY helpful and courteous, at the door, lobby, maids, etc. The breakfast every morning was great and plentiful and was kept filled. The complimentary drinks and appetizers in the evening were beautiful and good. The house drink amalfitini was GREAT!!! Our room was a good size for 4 of us and the bathroom was a very nice size, we never felt crowded. We will stay there again if we ever make it back to Chicago. Very good location as well to all the sights.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!