“Wonderful surprise; will definitely return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Michigan
“Wonderful surprise; will definitely return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

We stayed here when my husband had a meeting in the hotel. I wasn't sure about what to expect since we usually stay in the Gold Coast. The hotel far exceeded all of my expectations - from the staff to the room accommodations to the amenities, it was a nearly perfect experience. It is truly a boutique hotel; you step into a small lobby featuring a waterfall and small tables for service (this actually is the only weakness we found because it meant a delay in check in). The rooms are surprisingly spacious, very quiet, and very well appointed with free wireless, very comfortable beds and linens. The hotel offers a lovely continental breakfast served on each floor, which we found both convenient and welcome, so we could relax and get ready in our room and enjoy it privately. The nicest feature was the lovely evening reception offered for guests, featuring antipasto and excellent drinks, including their signature Amalfitini - it was fabulous! The hotel staff were all exceptionally accommodating; they kept our bags after we checked out and even allowed me to use their business center afterwards, even though technically, I was no longer a guest. This was extraordinarily generous of them and helpful to me (I was under a deadline). While the hotel is not directly off of Michigan Avenue, it's only a short walk to the beginning of the Magnificent Mile and some of the city's best restaurants, or to museums in the Loop. During our short time there, I had no trouble doing major retail damage all the way up to Oak Street and down to Monroe Street! We will definitely return and recommend it to others.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2010
As a new guest to the hotel, thank you so much for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor! We appreciate being recognized for our boutique sensibility and are thrilled to have exceeded your expectations. It would be our pleasure to welcome you and your husband again and we hope to make your next stay equally as convenient and enjoyable.

Melissa Driza - Amalfi Hotel Chicago

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
fort wayne, in
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I stayed in this hotel for one night this past weekend. I originally had a room booked at the Sutton Place Hotel for Sat. and Sun., but then decided to go to Chicago a day earlier. I couldn't find an acceptable rate for the one night for the Sutton Place, so I booked a room at Amalfi on Fri. Because of this experience, I had an opportunity to do a direct comparison of the two hotels. Let me tell you, it's not even close.
The Amalfi is a high-class hotel without the high-class attitude, or the high-class system of nickel and dimeing you. Unlike the Sutton Place, there is no additional charge for high-speed internet(which I have never experienced in a good hotel downtown). Also, each floor has a free continental breakfast every morning that consisted of bagels, rolls, yogurt, fruit, etc. On top of this, each night there is a cocktail hour where they have an open bar for all of the hotel guests. A good opportunity to mingle if you are so inclined, or to just have a couple of free drinks. At the Sutton Place, continental breakfast costs over ten dollars, and I guarantee there wasn't a cocktail hour. Also, Amalfi had a decent free workout area that my girlfriend utilized. I'm not sure if this is customary or not, but it's a good feature for those who need a little workout.
The room was nice. There wasn't anything particularly unique about the rooms, but they were very clean, the decor was current, and they had an LCD television with a DVD player. The Sutton Place's room had a better setup, with a better bathroom(large tub, and additional standup shower), but it just felt a little dated with an older television, and a slightly outdated look.
The feel of the two hotels was quite different as well. I'm not a world-class traveler, and I'm not extremely wealthy. The Amalfi just seemed less snooty. I felt very out of place at the Sutton Place, and I had no reason to. I could afford both hotels, and I wasn't walking into there wearing ripped jeans and a Kiss concert tee(not that there's anything wrong with that). I can't really explain the difference. It's just a feel I got. One thing that is kind of telling is the ice situation. I guess having ice machines in your hotel implies something substandard, but you can put them somewhere that is not visible or audible to the guest unless you need to use them. This was the case at Amalfi, whereas at Sutton Place we had to call for room service in order to receive a bucket of ice. I know that this seems meaningless, but it just added to the impression.
The area where Amalfi is located is nice. It is walking distance to many things. We walked to Navy Pier(about twenty minutes), and could have walked about ten minutes to get to Grant Park. Also, there are plenty of bars and restaurants in the area, and Michigan Avenue is a couple of blocks away. Also, the red line is within a couple blocks. The area surrounding Sutton Place is nice, with a lot of designer stores, and good restaurants, but it wasn't really my thing. I'm not going to Gucci, and I don't really want to pay six dollars for a bottle of Heineken.
In conclusion, I think this hotel is great. I've never stayed anywhere that I enjoyed more. Comparing it to another four-star hotel, I give this better marks in just about everything. Even if you have to pay a little more, you get your money back by taking advantage of the complimentary services.
I couldn't recommend Amalfi more.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2010

Great hotel as it was close to Frontera Grill and to the theatre. Lots of good restaurants and bars close by. A bit away from Michigan Avenue, but nice. Happy hour and breakfast were nice touches. I would stay there again!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Memphis, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2010

I just took my daughter and a friend to Chicago to celebrate her 30th birthday. We were 3 women on our own in a new city. The Amalfi Hotel was a great place to stay! We felt safe and were in a great location. We could have been closer to Magnificent Mile but were glad to be centrally located for the subway access and to all attractions south of the river. We had no idea where the hotel was but it turned out to be perfect! I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone. We were right across the street from Harry Carey's restaurant and never heard a sound while we slept like babies all night. If you want a very easy, comfortable and safe place to stay then this is the place. Loved it!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2010
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Amalfi after your ladies getaway. I’m thrilled to hear your birthday celebration in the city was a success and you were happy with your accommodations with us. We appreciate your review and hope to welcome you to Chicago again!

Best,
Melissa Driza
AMALFI HOTEL CHICAGO
Canton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2010

We can not give this hotel a better review. From check in to check out! Friendly, accommodating staff. Continental breakfast bar, beautifully displayed. Evening cocktails and appetizers again wonderful.. The Hotel is perfectly located in heart of city, close to everything and including some great restaurants. We tell all our friends with family in Chicago this is where to stay!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2010

This is a wonderful place to stay. The rooms are great, very clean. This is a pet friendly hotel, we took our small dog with us. It would have been nice for the front desk to be able to tell us more than "go left is what I tell people" when inquiring about where our dog could potty. Response should have been, go left several blocks and across the street to a dog potty area near trump Towers. Also, check out is noon and maid was knocking on our door at 9:45 even with the DO NOT DISTURB sign on door. Good thing the security bar was set on the door, or she would have been in the room with us while we were sleeping. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Amalfi_Hotel_Chicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Thank you for your review and positive comments. We apologize for failing to clearly direct you to a dog-friendly area and in response, we used this matter as a training opportunity for the Front of House team. Additionally, we now include the directions in our “Pet Lovers Guide” for future guests and their travel companions. Your concerns regarding the room service disturbance has also been addressed and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Again, we appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your pet on your next stay at the Amalfi.
---
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager
Savannah, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Amalfi for our honeymoon while on his R&R from Iraq. We made reservations and a couple requests, EVERYTHING met and exceeded our expectations. The staff were very polite and helpful, but the suite said it all, near floor to ceiling windows from the living area continued into the bedroom of our suite, a bottle of champaigne chilled to the exact temperature of full flavor. It was honestly like a movie, room service was great we didnt wait long for anything and they were all very helpful in recommending places to go and restaurants to visit. We are originally from South Bend IN only a couple hours from there and have been to Chicago several times, but never experienced anything like the Amalfi.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!