“Great service and such comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now!
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chicago, Illinois
“Great service and such comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

I stayed at the Amalfi for one week at the end of July and it was wonderful. I normally stay at good hotels (W, Century Plaza, etc) and the Amalfi topped those with it's very personal service throughout. The doormen greet you warmly on each return and the housekeepers smile sincerely as they offer bed turndowns and make sure the room is spotless. Every member of the staff seems to genuinely like making guests comfortable and that is what makes a great hotel.

The evening reception is a particular treat - I normally skip hotel "wine receptions" but at the Amalfi, they not only serve top shelf drinks made to your taste, they have a great antipasto - and I found my fellow guests a fascinating and eclectic mix. The Amalfi atmosphere makes these gatherings a comfortable place for a businesswoman travelling alone to relax and enjoy good conversation and a great drink at the end of the day.

The folks at the front desk also made a superb restaurant recommendation for me when I unexpectedly had guests for dinner - and got us a great patio reservation at the last minute on a Friday evening.

The beds are great, the ammenities top notch - and the shower is amazing. The morning breakfast buffet lets you grab a juice or coffee on your way out to meetings - add in the free wifi and you have a model of how a hotel should take care of business travellers.

Now that my company is moving me to Chicago, I plan to book occasional weekend "getaways" at the Amalfi just for the fun of being treated so very well!

• Stayed July 2005, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

On a recent trip to Chicago with a couple of girlfriends, it was my job to find a hotel in which we would not be swallowed up by major tourists but remain in the vacinity of Michigan Avenue so we can get all of our shopping done. So I read about the Amalfi Hotel on Trip Advisor and decided that we should all stay there. Well to my surprise that hotel was wonderful, but there was some misleading information about the hotel being around the corner from Michigan Avenue. Boy did we have to walk and in the heat and humidity that Chicago welcomed us with, we were not happy campers!! I thought that the hotel would be close to our favorite shops and it wasn't! Next time I must do a little more research before I select a hotel that will be more accommodating to our needs.

Jackson, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2005

I stayed here the weekend of August 5th, for two nights. This was the first of what I am sure will be MANY visits to this wonderful hotel! My first impression upon entering the lobby, was WOW! They had a player piano that was playing music, and it gave the ambience of elegance and class to this hotel. As I soon discovered, this ambience does not end there! You do not check in at a traditional "check-in desk". Instead, it is more like a concierege. I arrived rather early (12:30pm), and in most hotels they will not let you have a room until 3pm at the earliest. NOT HERE! After giving you your room keys, they ask if you will be needing dinner reservations or show tickets. They then offer the services of the bellman to deliver your bags to your room. I politely declined this, as I only had a small weekend bag with me. I entered the room and was instantly impressed! The room and bathroom were HUGE! There was an Amoir with a 27 inch widescreen television, a Dvd player, and a built in wet-bar! The king size bed with a pillow-top matress, and 500 thread count Egyptian Cotton linens, made me want to sleep all day! It was the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in! The bathroom was HUGE! It had a beautiful black granite countertop, with a fogless, lighted makeup mirror, a tub/shower with dual shower heads, and the type of shower curtain that bows out, so it doesn't stick to you! And the maid comes back in the afternoon to offer turndown service, and to freshen up your room. Just another fine example of how immaculate the service is at this hotel! But it still does not end there. Every day between 5:30pm and 7:00pm, they have a complimentary Managers Reception in the lounge up on the 6th floor. In addition to free drinks, they have a wide array of complimentary finger foods: cold cuts, cheeses, breads, stuffed olives, olive oil, etc. This was one of the minor areas that can be improved upon, as the lounge is quite small, and only open for the duration of the reception. It would be nice if it were open later, even if they charged for drinks after 7pm. Most of us were just starting to enjoy ourselves, when we had to leave. And in the morning, they offer a very nice continental breakfast on every floor next to the elevators. They offer a wide variety of pastries, breads, fresh fruit, juices and coffee. It would also be nice if they also offered milk and cereal, but this too, is a very minor area which can be improved upon. The location is perfect as well. Directly across the street from Harry Carry's and the House Of Blues, and just a couple of blocks to Michigan Avenue. All in all I very much enjoyed my stay, and will DEFINATELY be back!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

The Amalfi is one of the few hotels that actually exceeded my already high expectations. I found everything to be near-perfect during my brief 2 night stay. In fact, I wish I could have stayed longer.

The location is great. Just off of Michigan Avenue and across the street from the House of Blues. If you fly into Midway Airport, a 25-minute orange line train takes you from the airport to State/Lake station, 3 blocks away, for $1.75. For there, walk down State Street to the Amalfi! Best deal in town.

The room was comfortably appointed and well furnished. Free high speed internet, DVD players, Aveda bath toiletries and a nice Amalfi robe are among the room highlights.

Breakfast is served on each floor (a nice touch!) and consists of pastries, juices and fruit. An evening cocktail reception has great italian cold cuts, cheeses, etc. along with the signature "Amalfitini" or the cocktail of your choice. Kenneth the host was seriously overworked on a Friday night and the lines were long for the free drinks but he maintained a smile throughout.

I've stayed at other hotels. I'll return to the Amalfi.

• Stayed August 2005
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2005

It was our anniversary and the hotel found out because my husband called ahead to ask them to arrange flowers for the room (which they did and they were also wonderful). When we checked in they asked if we could wait a half hour which we thought was weird since it was a Thursday, but we went and got lunch while they checked our bags. When we got back and checked in we figured out why the wait - they gave us a two room suite on the corner with an entire wall of windows when we had paid for a double. The staff was great - the Amalfi-tini's at the cocktail hour were wonderful and even the croissants for breakfast were moist. We had a great time!!

• Stayed August 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

My wife booked this online. The pictures looked great and when we arrived the hotel met all of our expectations and more. The decor of the lobby was very cool, and the rooms was beautiful. Anyone on the fence because of price: open bar from 5:30 to 7. That will help offset any price worries. Nice touch of having a plentiful breakfast spread across from the elevators on each floor. Delicious pastries, breads, juices and coffee or tea. One other thing I noticed: every member of the staff we encountered greeted us. That's something that doesn't happen a lot. The hotel is located around the cornere from Michigan Avenue, so that's a plus. Overall, great experience and we will be back.

Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2005

Had a wonderful five night stay at the Alamfi and enjoyed every minute of it. Nice breakfast on each floor, robes and slippers in the room, Aveda products and a nice happy hour. Try the amaltinis. The reception does get crowded on Friday evenings when most people show up for the weekend but at any point during the week there is just a small number of people. The train(red) in within a few blocks and if you are willing to walk about five blocks you can take a train to either airport (save yourself the thirty-five dollar cab ride). Plenty of great restaurants around. Try Giordano's pizza and for a quick lunch grab a sandwhich from one of the many Potbelly's around. There is a fun bowling alley across the street by the House of Blues called 10pin. It is a swanky matini bowling alley. Also, if you have a chance, check out Bobby's bike and hike. There are a couple of three hour bike tours available and it is the perfect way to orient yourself with the city and see about seven miles worth without wearing out your feet. Keefer's is excellent as well as the lunch version of Keefer's cafe (which is right outside the door of the hotel). Two hour waits are common at Harry Carry's so we just stopped by for a drink one afternoon. The Redfish is a little overrated (they are owned by Friday's so what do you expect). Take the el to a Cub's game or go check out some of the young and trandy neighborhoods like Buckstown. I guess the best thing about the hotel is the location, not in the middle of the Magnificent Mile madness but gets you close enough to everything. Wish we could have stayed longer, I really wanted to go on the Gangster tour. The hotel will also set up reservations for achitctural tours and reccomend where to eat at three in the morning.

• Stayed July 2005

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!