“Front desk blasé” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Mother's Day Package!
Ranked #16 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
NYC
“Front desk blasé”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I paid about $225 per night via advance paid rate from Jetsetter. It was classified as deluxe king room.

We checked in late at night and only one desk staffer was working. We had to wait for our turn and were then greeted with simply "next customer please." No hello or welcome. I don't need a royal red carpet greeting but after a long flight and train ride it's nice to feel like you've made the right choice of hotel. Then the staffer had trouble operating the computer check-in system. And then with my partner sitting right next to me, the staffer asked if I was alone and only needed one keycard. It was odd.

Room was fine, comfortable bed, clean. The simple convenient breakfast was satisfactory.

Check-out also had the same cold and slow process as check-in. No "thank you" just a quick "you're all set." Yes, I am.

Stayed May 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The hotel is really nice. Great customer service. Easy and quick check-in and check-out. The room was really nice and the bed very comfortable. The hotel room was clean. The bathroom tub did have old hair in it. But I always travel with my own cleaning products, so I handled it. The fitness room has tons of equipment. The buiness center was extremely useful for printing boarding passes. Hotel was about a 10-15min walk to metro(s). Biggest downfall was the breakfast. I wasn't aware that the breakfast didn't include any "hot" food (eggs, bacon, sauage). The breakfast is primary breads, fruit, and drinks. It wasn't bad; I was just expecting more. Since breakfast is so important when picking a hotel for my family, we wouldn't stay here again. But if this doesn't apply to you, it's a great stay!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m happy you found our rooms to your liking but do apologize for the housekeeping issue you encountered in our guest bathroom. I assure you that is not typical of our hotel and I will be sure to pass along your comments to our Housekeeping manager. We will use your feedback to review and retrain our team in order to meet and exceed the level of hospitality that you deserve. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our 24-hour Fitness Center and 24-hour Business Center. I’m sorry to hear our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast did not meet your expectations. I appreciate your comments and have passed them along to our Food & Beverage manager. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed our central location in downtown Chicago and were able to take advantage of our close proximity to all the CTA public transportation stations around us. Your thoughtful feedback is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago and show you our commitment to delivering a positive guest experience.

Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This is a top-notch hotel and we highly recommend it. My husband, two kids, and myself spent two nights here in early April. Our check-in was smooth and the room was well-appointed. Everything was clean (a MUST for me) and modern. The room even had a docking charger for my iPhone. There was a beautiful continental breakfast set up by the elevators every morning. Items included coffee, tea, OJ, cranberry juice, apple juice, milk, cereals, bagels, croissants, donuts, fruit, yogurt, and hard-boiled eggs. In the evening there was a complimentary happy hour. My husband and I each received two drinks and hor dourves/dessert. For example, one night they had bruschetta, salami and cheese, and brownies. The hotel was within walking distance to many great restaurants. The weather was too rainy and cold for walking to the Magnificent Mile with two kids so we took a cab (cost $6) but it would probably be a nice walk if the weather cooperated. If I could change one thing, I would add a fan to the bathrooms (not a huge problem). The best part of this hotel was the customer service. We were celebrating two birthdays, my husbands and my daughter's. The staff was fantastic and treated us like royalty from the time we checked in until we checked out.

Room Tip: There are only 6 floors but the higher rooms that face the alley instead of Kinzie Street are quiete...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear how much you and your family enjoyed your birthday celebration with us. I’m pleased you found our rooms to your liking and appreciated the in-room amenities like our iHome docking stations, conveniently located next to our guest beds. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the wide variety of items to choose from. I’m further pleased to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and enjoyed the selection of hors d’oeuvres and desserts. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed our central location in the downtown River North district and were able to take advantage of all the great restaurants surrounding us, as well as our close proximity to the Magnificent Mile. Hopefully you’ll be able to join us when the weather isn’t so rainy! We’re especially pleased to receive such kind comments about our team and to hear how memorably we made your family’s stay. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back for another Chicago getaway soon.

Nazareth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

In my recent trip to Chicago I stayed at 3 hotels (Kinzie, Raffaello, and Hyatt Regency Rosemont). This hotel had them all beat hands down. First the room was quite spacious with lots of outlets for today's modern traveler that has multiple cell phones, iPads, Kindles, etc. Also, the room was furnished quite nice and had a decent size fridge for any leftovers or beverages. I frequently found myself lounging in the couch right by the window as there was a ledge right there for a beverage. Speaking of beverages, every night there was a Managers Reception. You were given a token per night per person for your stay and you could get a mixed drink or beer. My wife had a lemon concoction that was fantastic. I grabbed a beer and was happy to not be railroaded into a Budmilloors. The hotel also had a decent continental breakfast. We didn't partake, but each morning we walked by and it looked good (we did get some coffee, which was good). We did utilize the exercise room each day and for the size of the hotel I was quite impressed with the array of machines they had (a couple of ellipticals, treadmills, I think a bike, a couple of machines and a full compliment of free weights). When we needed some towels and an additional blanket, after we called down to the front desk; both times we had them within five minutes.

As for location, this place was perfect. A couple of streets from the Loop, a couple of streets from Mag Mile, we basically walked everywhere. OK, walking to the Adler Planetarium at around 3 miles was pushing it, but everything else was within easy walking distance. I think this was one of the biggest draws for this hotel.

All in all, I would come back to this hotel if I'm travelling in Chicago. I don't know that I would even try anyplace else. The staff was very nice, the price was right, the location was perfect, and the surrounding area was decent. I would definitely recommend this place!

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for taking the time to share your glowing review. We’re overjoyed to receive such wonderful guest feedback! I’m pleased to hear you found our rooms to your liking and appreciated all the in-room amenities like the copious outlets and mini-refrigerators. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary 24-hour fitness center and appreciated the variety of machines available. I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed the coffee from our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast—hopefully you’ll be able to indulge in a little bit more during your next stay with us. It’s a pleasure to hear you enjoyed our central location in the downtown River North district and were able to walk to all the nearby sights, like the Magnificent Mile. I’m especially pleased to receive such kind comments about our team and to hear how helpful they were during your stay. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and it’s always a delight to hear we came through on that promise. Your 5-star recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back for another Chicago getaway soon.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We had a good stay at the hotel. The room was clean and the location of the hotel is amazing. We walked everywhere. The train & bus routes are also very convenient. Great restaurants around the area and there is a bar next to the hotel which is very nice & lively.
I gave it a star less because the sink of our washroom was clogged so kept filling up water but it got sorted out after we called the reception also the breakfast (next to the elevators on every floor) is okay but not the greatest. The never had milk available next to the coffee stand.

All in all it is a decent & convenient hotel to stay in Chicago.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughtful feedback. We delighted to hear you had a pleasant stay with us at Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you enjoyed our central location in downtown Chicago and were able to take advantage of all the sights within walking distance, as well as all the great restaurants surrounding us like our next door neighbors Public House. I’m pleased you found our rooms to your liking. I’m sorry to hear about the maintenance issue you experienced but happy to hear our team was able to rectify that quickly. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast but sorry to hear it was not replenished in a more timely fashion. I appreciate your feedback and have passed along your comments to our Food & Beverage manager. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your helpful review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

This was a great stay, in a spacious and very well-situated hotel. They're super well-organised, from receiving parcels in advance for me to the complimentary breakfasts laid out on each floor in the mornings.

The decor is vey modern and trendy, and always very clean. Beds are unbelievably comfy, all linen and toiletries are lovely. Staff extremely helpful and friendly,

The location could not be better, so close to river, shops, galleries and trains.

I would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Thank you kindly for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you had a “great” stay with us at Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you found our modern décor and rooms to your liking—especially our comfortable Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and H2O Plus spa amenities—an authentic Chicago product. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each guest floor. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of central location in the downtown River North district and enjoyed all the great shops and galleries surrounding us. I’m especially pleased to receive kind feedback about our team. We take great pride in delivering the highest level of service and it’s such a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back for another Chicago getaway soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel as many people wrote is very well located. It is close to Magnificent Mile (few blocks) and to The Loop (also few blocks.)
So you can walk to those places. The place is nice, small and chic.
The breakfast is served in each floor. It was OK. You need to bring it to your room. There are not tables to sit.
People in the staff were friendly. They answered all my questions about local directions.
The room was nice. The bed confortable.
About the evening reception there are some appetizers. We didn't eat them. We just passed by to see the room. I think that the tokens are for drinks and for what I heard
you only get them if you book through the hotel website. You would need to check about that.
I would like if the hotel would have a room to relax, or read and as I said it is a small hotel. it seems that the only place with some chairs is in the lobby.
There are restaurants around including a Chiplotle, Starbucks, Eataly,etc. There is a grocery store few blocks away.
Overall a good experience. My family liked it.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your kind comments with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased to hear you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us at Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you enjoyed our central location in downtown Chicago and were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the Magnificent Mile and the Loop as well as all the great restaurants surrounding us like Eataly. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, conveniently served on each guest floor for you to enjoy in the comfort of your own room. If you do need more space to spread out and enjoy breakfast, we’re happy to offer our guests access to our Double Cross lounge in the morning. I’m happy you found our rooms to your liking and enjoyed our comfortable Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. As you mentioned, we’re pleased to offer an evening reception each night featuring complimentary hors d’oeuvres for all our guests. Guests who book directly with us receive one drink token per night to enjoy a complimentary drink in our lounge. Hopefully you’ll be able to join us during your next stay. I’m further pleased to hear how friendly and helpful our front office team was and will be sure to pass along your kind feedback. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughtful review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back for another Chicago getaway soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!