“Amalfi keeps getting better” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Travelocity Kinzie Hotel
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Grand Opening Special!
Ranked #19 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Cincinnati Area
“Amalfi keeps getting better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2009

Updated info: They're done with lobby construction and the new lobby is very nice with a flowing water feature and updated furnishings. This renovation just happened as they celebrated five years in business.

The Amalfi Hotel occupies floors 2-6 or a 17-story office building in downtown Chicago, in a very convenient location... walking distance to Magnificent Mile shopping and within a block or two of five fine steakhouses (Keefers is in the same building, Harry Caray's, Sullivans, Ruth's Chris, Smith & Wollensky are just a block away, Chicago Chop House, Kinzie Chop House, Morton's of Chicago are very short walks).

Service is very nice, although I didn't challenge their "experience designers" (why can't we just call them the front desk clerks?). The maids are "comfort stylists", the porters are "impressionists". Are we paying for these words? Sounds expensive. And silly. All of the valet, bellhop and wait staff, regardless of what fluffy title they were given, were remarkably kind for Chicago.

The best way to experience the Amalfi is to find your best deal on one of the discount websites (I used Expedia) and call the Amalfi to get a rate match. They will do that. You may see a rate above of over $300 a night, but I just stayed there for $132 a night, and you can't beat that at any other classy place downtown. My personal previous best rate was at the House of Blues before they became Hotel Sax at $145 a night.
Valet parking, as it is in downtown, was up there.. $44 a night with in and out privileges.
Not a trace of cigarette or cigar smoke in the place... it's relatively quiet for downtown... the infrastructure works well (icemaker, refrigerator, door locks, HVAC, elevators, etc.)... and the beds are the best you'll sleep on (better than I own). The wireless networking was fast and smooth, and no extra cost. The LodgeNet television/in-room movie system is still undergoing a transition to HD, so the TV video wasn't HD and was stretched for now, and the reaction to the remote was slow. They promised this was undergoing improvement soon.
I'll stay there regularly unless they charge me rack rates.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business

1,341 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Polish first
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

Decided to stay at this hotel based on this site and another site’s recommendation. Went to Chicago for a romantic weekend with my husband; our only solid plans was to see Wicked.

We booked through Orbitz ($246 final total for 2 nights) since they had a 20% hotel sale and then had a 15% coupon code in January. The hotel will match any internet price and give you a free upgrade (but couldn’t match all the discounts we got).

I chose the hotel since it was centrally located and had complementary breakfast and cocktails.

Even though I had called a week before about our dates, the hotel failed to mention that their lobby was closed & being renovated. They did everything out of this small hallway by the elevators. I inquired about the cost of upgrading and the guy went into a long speech about how they don’t know Orbitz price so they wouldn’t know how much it would be. Usually I either simply get a complimentary upgrade or just pay a small set fee. Oh well.

The room was somewhat small (it is downtown Chicago) and if we were in a room anywhere lower than the 5th floor we would have had a view of a brick wall. The room was nice and the beds were VERY comfortable. In our bathroom there were a couple dark hairs in the tub that I have a hard time believe the cleaning staff could have missed. If it wasn’t already midnight when we arrived I would have probably gone down and complained. Everything else seemed very clean.

The breakfast is simple coffee, bottled fruit juice, and pastries. It was great to be able to throw on a robe, go into your hallway, grab a cute tray and bring back food to your room.

One of the other reasons that I choose this hotel was their “experience designers”. We started by searching for a good sushi restaurant for lunch. The guy wasn’t very helpful other than giving us a print out of the address of one nearby. I was so disappointed with my experience designer’s lack of energy or care, that I ended up going to their business center and using TripAdvisor to find a good place for dinner.

On the point of the business center, it is free, had 4 computers (1 mac) and a printer. Two of the four were frozen, but it is still nice to find a hotel in Chicago that isn’t going to find every little thing to charge you for. They also had free wireless internet and don’t forget the free breakfast and cocktails.

In terms of the cocktails, we never took advantage of it. We arrived too late on Friday night, and Saturday we were out exploring Chicago from their 5:30-7 timeframe.

All in all, the breakfast in bed and the location can’t be beat. I wouldn’t mind coming back, but I am going to try a different hotel next visit to downtown Chicago.

• Liked — Free breakfast & Location
  • Disliked — No real service
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2009

My parents and I stayed at the Amalfi in July 2008 on our summer trip to Chicago. It took a few minutes of driving in circles to find it, but eventually we did. The moment our car pulled up to the curb, two helpful men were there to take our luggage into the hotel and valet our car (valet survice is offered). It`s true that the lobby is small compared to most hotels, but what it lacks in space, it makes up in quality. The whole hotel smells like fresh flower and zest, and the bright, modern colours really add a nice touch. The conceirge booked us into our room right away, and we had staff bring our luggage up to the room.

Our room was on the top floor of the hotel (there are other businesses on the higher floors), and the best place to be. The room was quite small, but it was very clean, comfortable and had a pretty good view from the window (not like it matters all that much). There were many new magazines like InStyle, ect on the desk, which was great. The bathroom stocks the most amazing Aveda products, which I admit to taking a few home with me. The two-headed shower is lovely and the bathroom is overall very clean and modern.

Our room was right across from the room where they offer free happy hour and light food at night. You would think it would be noisy, but from in our room, you could hear nothing. The happy hour was great, you could go in (even with your children, but bringing young ones could be a problem) and get whatever drink you like (tip if you want), and there were an abundance of breads, cheeses, meats,ect. Very nice to go to before dinner.

In the morning, they offer breakfast on each floor, right outside the elevator. I went in my PJ`s every day, and they had a good assortment of fruits, juices, coffees, teas, croissants, buns, pasteries, bagels, ect. The only thing my family complained about was the lack of hot food or a toaster for bagels, but I think it wasn`t such a big deal. If your floor was out of some pasterie or whatnot, you could go to the floors below and take one of theirs.

The Amalfi offers a "business" center, which is basically a very small room with two computers and a printer. That is fine since the internet is free, and almost always the computers are empty, so you don`t have to wait.

The fitness room is large and well-stocked, though we didn`t use it.

For restaurants in the area, try Harry Caray`s across the street (great bar food), or for a really hip, cool environment try the restaurant which is right behind the hotel, called Rockit Bar and Grill. VERY good food, young atmosphere.

I would refer anyone to this amazing hotel!

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

This was a gem of a place. I found an internet rate of $153 a night and they matched it when I called. Call the hotel direct, not the toll free reservation line to get the match.

Room was spacious and clean, beautifully furnished. It's in a great location.

Loved the breakfast ON EACH FLOOR. Just run right out in your robe for coffee, bagels, pastries, fruit, yogurt - the works.

Took advantage of the free happy hour with drinks and apps one afternoon. The attendant was great - warned us when our brand of red wine was getting low and set the bottle back for us to finish. Wish this happy hour was in a better place - perhaps with more atmosphere - but it was a good way to unwind and relax.

Check in and out were both a breeze and everyone was very friendly and nice. Will stay here again next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Pensacola, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2009

The Amalfi is a great hotel. The only reason I gave it an above average rating and not Excellent is because of our limited interaction with the staff. The lobby is apparently undergoing a renovation because we checked in in a small room right outside the elevators. Check-in was quick and easy and the staff was very helpful though. The room was nice but not over the top. We got a great rate through Expedia by staying 3 nights so it was definitely worth it. The quality of food for breakfast was good and the nightly free drinks in the lounge were a nice touch.
The location was perfect for us. We were within walking distance to shopping, great restaurants, and the theaters. If it was too cold to walk, it was a very cheap cab ride.
Overall, I was very impressed with this hotel and would recommend it to any of my friends.

• Liked — LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION
  • Disliked — The lobby wasn't open.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Lincoln, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay here at the Amalfi. We checked in on the 23rd of Dec. and are leaving tomorrow morning (Dec. 28).

Here are just a few of the highlights:
--Steps away from the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue, but in a quiet location. We were on the 4th floor and heard very little street noise.
--Very friendly staff: we loved that there was a doorman to call taxis and that the "experience designers" were there to give us directions and recommendations if needed.
--The managers' reception and continental breakfast: Both were free of charge! In the morning we enjoyed a quick breakfast (yogurt, fruit, bagels, pastries, juice, and coffee). In the evenings we were offered drinks in the lounge and some nice Italian appetizers. The first night there, I asked the bartender if he could make an amaretto sour (the liquor wasn't on the list of available ones), and he went out of his way to find amaretto for me. Everyone here was so friendly and accommodating.

• Liked — The location and staff!
  • Disliked — no pool :(
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Warren, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2008

This is not your typical chain hotel. Very hip and trendy furnishings from the unusual sit down with an agent front desk to the trendy quality room furnishings.

The Amalfi was very clean, bright and warm. The hallways were bright and well lit. The room was large with quality furniture, a big comfortable bed complimented with plush bedding. The pillows were comfortable.

The bathroom was also very large with marble vanity and a large shower with great water pressure.

The breakfast was unusual in that they set it up on each and every floor instead of a room on the ground level. The food offered was nothing special, your typical continental fare.

The free wireless internet was fast and reliable throughout my stay.

This place is a winner and i'd happily return.

• Liked — Clean, Comfortable with free fast reliable internet
  • Disliked — Nothing, no issues.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!