“Great Choice” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now!
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Mississauga, Canada
“Great Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

Location is perfect, you can walk everywhere and also close to train if you are flying in/out of town. Many restaurants around if you don't want to go to far.
Breakfast on every floor is great . Complimentary cocktail is a nice touch , nice place to go to at the end of the day. Staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are great. I would definitely recommend and go back

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, August 15, 2014
Thank you for the 5-star review! We’re so happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and walk to all the nearby sites and restaurants. I’m pleased you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also pleased you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception. Your kind recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Clevleand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

We recently came to Chicago to get married & do some research for work ( I know, what an odd combo, right? lol). Decided upon the Kinzie from all of the positive reviews on here. Since we had a morning incoming flight, I called two days before hand to see if the hotel might be able to let us check in earlier, to make it easier on us. I spoke to Meg & she said that she would make a note & try her best. We arrived earlier than planned & when we came to the font desk, Meg (who I spoke with on the phone) was working. She kindly explained that our room was not quite ready yet, but she could call us when it was. No biggie. The hotel held our bags while we got our marriage license, ate some breakfast & did some exploring of the city.

We headed back to the hotel a few hours later & our room was up graded to a corner suite. We were so impressed by the awesome view of the city! We did a quick clothes change & headed out to do more site seeing. Before leaving, we thanked Meg for the beautiful upgrade. When we came back to the room a few hours later, there were chocolate covered strawberries, a bottle of champaign chilling & a very sweet note congratulating us on our wedding. I was so impressed that she remembered our conversation & took the time to arrange such a kind gesture. A class act, all the way. It made our stay & special day that much more memorable.

In addition to the first class customer service, the nightly manager's happy hour is also a great perk. I enjoyed a few tasty cocktails. We will for sure be staying here again & will spread the word to our friends. The Kinzie & its employees know how to do it right!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the rave review! We’re thrilled to hear you had a “wonderful” stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m especially pleased to receive such great feedback about our team—Meg in particular. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and I’m delighted to hear we were able to make your wedding day a memorable one. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share such a gracious recommendation. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Bend, OR
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This hotel is in the perfect location to explore Chicago. The decor is thoughtful and modern while still very comfortable. We were in a corner suite with floor to ceiling windows with an incredible view. We will definitely be back every year!

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the rave review! We’re delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I’m pleased you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district and were able to explore all Chicago has to offer. We look forward to welcoming you back next year—if not sooner!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2014

This Kinzie Hotel was really really nice.The room was updated and immaculate. The staff was very nice and helpful. Location was great. Right next to The Public House sports bar and down the street from the river walk, Navy Pier and House of Blues.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the thoughtful review. We’re happy you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased you liked our central location in downtown Chicago and were able to take advantage of all the nearby sites and restaurants—like Navy Pier and our next-door neighbors, Public House. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking as well. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Our family has stayed at The Kinzie Hotel numerous times (also when it was The Amalfi) and we have always been impressed. From family trips to Chicago or a weekend getaway for my husband and I, we have always had top notch service. The hotel is in a great location in River North, easy to get to everything on foot or by public transportation. For those driving, there is parking a block away. The staff is professional, courteous, and always goes above and beyond to make our stay memorable. Rooms are spotless, beds are super comfortable! We love the continental breakfast on each floor too! For anyone looking to stay in the heart of it all at a lovely hotel with affordable rates, The Kinzie is for you!

• Stayed July 2014
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Thank you for the lovely review. We’re so pleased to receive such wonderful guest feedback—especially from a loyal guest like yourself. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor at the Kinzie Hotel to your liking—including our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. I’m also pleased you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district and were able to take advantage of all the sites surrounding us. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m especially pleased to receive such positive guest feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. We truly appreciate your thoughtful recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back for another Chicago getaway soon.

St. Petersburg, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I would give this this hotel a 4.5. Not PERFECT but pretty damn near perfect. I will preface that I like writing reviews about what could be better, why I liked it, and if I would stay again.

First of all, when booking I was disappointed because on the hotel website it says they offer a "Best Price Guarantee," well they kinda DON'T. If you book the lowest rate, prepaid, they do not price match that. They had a better rate literally 12 hours after I booked. I contacted them and they said they don't offer the "Best Price Guarantee" on that rate.

One of my biggest pet peeves in the world is air conditioning in hotels. Kinzie's air conditioning is not the best. It's confusing, doesn't go very low, and doesn't offer a fan option so air can get stagnant quick. I asked the front desk if I was using the air conditioning right because it has a very weird set up. You have to set up the outside air, and inside air, I have no idea if one affected the other. Anyways I asked the front desk how to use it, and they suggested that they send up an air conditioning engineer. We were on our way out and didn't want to wait, so partially our fault. I think the front people should be able to answer this basic question though. To best honest though we also experimented and thought we found the right "mixture" and it still wasn't great.

The other things that really didn't bother me but it might bother others. First, the continental breakfast was ok at best. First morning they offered orange juice, second morning, cranberry, no orange juice. From what I can tell they didn't really replenish anything, so if it was gone when you get there, you'd either have to go scavenge on another floor (breakfast is served on every level) or call maybe? One morning I took the last cup, one morning there was none of the tea I wanted. No cold water. There was hard boiled eggs, cereal, fruit (bananas, apples), pastries, and bagels.

They offer a managers happy hour, but I honestly had no idea where it was? We had some drink tokens but had no idea where to go. Also had no idea where the gym was. There were no maps in the rooms to tell people where these things happen. The lobby and front desk was often VERY VERY busy (pretty small) and we didn't see fit to wait, and bother to find out where these things were at. We were rarely in our hotel room so it wasn't a big deal.

What I liked: everything else! The rooms were decorated well, the bed was super comfy, the couch was comfy, shower head(s) were great, they provided robes that were very comfortable. I loved the flavored water they offered every night in the lobby. The location was P-E-R-F-E-C-T, we walked to the River, Millennium Park, restaurants, bars, there is a CVS close by, shopping, train stations, we had more than enough to do within walking distance. The Bellmen were always one step ahead, and super friendly.

Would I say there again? The air conditioning bothered me a lot. The location was primo but there are a ton of hotels in the area. I wouldn't not stay there again, next time I go to Chicago I'm going to look around, but will probably start out with Kinzie.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your helpful feedback. While I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay, I’m sorry to hear our Reservations department did not honor our Best Rate Guarantee. I will be following up with you directly for more information to ensure this is not an issue in the future. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms to your liking but apologize about the issues with our HVAC system. Our front office team is able to assist our guests with quick instructions for the HVAC but if you need it go lower than 68 degrees we do need to have our Engineering Department assist. I’m sorry that our team didn’t make it clear upon check-in where our complimentary evening reception and 24-hour complimentary Fitness Center were located. That information is also located on the key packets guests receive at check-in as well as in our in-room compendium. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—including our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds and comfortable new robes. I’m happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast but apologize it wasn’t replenished in a timely fashion. I appreciate your feedback and have passed along to our Food & Beverage manager to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future. I’m happy you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking and were able to take advantage of all the great restaurants surrounding us and nearby sites like Millennium Park. We truly appreciate your helpful comments. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Bolingbrook, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

Fantastic boutique hotel in a fantastic location. We were looking for a great place to stay for the weekend for a reasonable rate - we found it! This hotel is awesome. Nightly managers reception with cocktails and appetizers - all excellent by the way. Also, continental breakfast on each floor every morning. The reservations Supervisor Amanda knew is was out anniversary and surprised us with a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries upon our arrival. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler... We'll be back for sure!

Room Tip: King room was excellent - super large bathroom - shower was fantastic