“Nice niche” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now!
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Chennai (Madras), India
“Nice niche”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Initially, when we booked Kinzie through hotwire.com in a secret deal, we were a little skeptical. Nobody knew the revamped, renamed boutique hotel. But, we hoped for the best, and went ahead to request an upper floor, corner room.
When we checked in, late at night, the receptionist assured us it was a lovely room. I squealed with delight. We were on the 6th floor and had windows on three sides. What was unimportant is that the windows looked straight into the hotel opposite, but, hey, we had the road in between. Nice, large bathroom, except that it was not well planned. Nothing to hang towels on near the tub / shower, which meant we had to go dripping to the opposite side of the large bathroom to dry ourselves. Other than that, all was good. Breakfast on each floor is an innovative way to overcome the space crunch. It could feel like breakfast in bed if your partner brings in the food for you as you lounge around. I did for the husband. Breakfast is the same every day, so be warned, it could get boring.
Another distinct advantage - free alcoholic beverages every evening. I loved that we could walk to wherever we wanted - Millennium Park, Navy Pier, Hancock Tower, Sears Tower, and of course, the shopping.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are large, with windows on three sides. Choose one as far away from the nightclub next...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for sharing your kind feedback. We’re pleased to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking. I appreciate your feedback about our guest bathrooms and have passed along your comments to our Engineering Department. I’m pleased you enjoyed our location in the downtown River North district and were able to walk to all the nearby sites—like Millennium Park, Navy Pier and the shopping along Michigan Avenue. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our complimentary evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your helpful review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back upon your next Chicago getaway.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We recently traveled to Chicago for pleasure. We booked this hotel through Hotwire and really scored BIG! This hotel is in a GREAT location. We felt safe at night walking around the area and it is literally blocks from about everything we wanted to visit. The hotel was updated and clean. The hotel served an amazing breakfast each morning outside our room. They have an array of food available on EVERY floor. There was an abundance of food...from fruit, hard boiled eggs, cereals, doughnuts, pastries, breads and bagels available. They also had free drinks available in the evenings for adults. The hotel staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. They recommended a pizza place to us and then gave us a coupon for a free dessert! Great hotel - we would love to stay here again!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy to hear you found our central downtown location to your liking and were able to walk to all the nearby attractions. I’m pleased you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking as well. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, conveniently served on each guest floor and appreciated the wide variety of newly upgraded breakfast items. And I’m delighted to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. Your 5-star recommendation is much appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I recently stayed at the Kinzie for a night out in Chicago. The location was perfect! We were just a short walk away from howl at the moon. From the front desk staff to the valet staff, everyone was helpful and professional! Another great part about the hotel is the continental breakfast that is located on every floor and the complimentary evening cocktails. Next time I'm in Chicago I will look at staying here again :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KinzieHotel, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Thank you kindly for the 5-star review. We’re so pleased to hear you had an “excellent experience” with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m happy you found our location in the downtown River North district to your liking, especially our close proximity to all the restaurants and nightlife—like Howl at the Moon, right around the corner. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast—conveniently served on each guest floor, as you mentioned. I’m happy you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well. We truly appreciate your kind recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chicago very soon!

Bothell, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stayed at the Kinzie last weekend in Chicago. I was on the 6th floor with a wonderful view. And right down the hall from the daily happy hour suite. The room was beautiful and even had a sitting area with a sofa. Continental breakfast is served every morning in the lobby on each floor. So convenient to walk out my door and get breakfast and fresh coffee. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The water in the lobby was delicious...one day it was cucumber water, the next day made with fresh watermelon. I felt like I was at a spa!
Almost forgot to mention the bed...heavenly.
I will stay here every time I visit Chicago!

Room Tip: I liked the 6th floor so I was near happy hour!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for the rave review! We’re overjoyed to hear you had a “wonderful weekend” with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—especially our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. I’m also happy you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each guest floor. I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary fruit-infused water, served every afternoon in our lobby. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next Chicago getaway.

Stratford, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Shared a room with 3 fantastic friends and had adequate space and comfort. Visually beautiful space, comfy beds, spacious bathroom, loved the breakfasts on floor level and cocktail hour with appetizers! Quiet and clean. Staff couldn't have been more helpful and accommodating. Would definitley stay here again. Within walking distance to downtdown and Millineum Park

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor and found it quiet. No complaints. It did face another building so we...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you and your friends “loved” your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated rooms and décor to your liking—especially our comfortable new Serta Perfect Sleeper Signature beds. I’m happy you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and walk to all the nearby sites—like Millennium Park, now celebrating it’s 10th anniversary! I’m further pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast, as well as our evening cocktail reception. We truly appreciate your gracious recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Coconut Creek, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

This hotel does it smart. Having the continental breakfast on every floor and the nightly manager cocktail hours was something I have not seen before. The employees are incredibly helpful and nice. I was traveling alone and they were able to give me advise on how to get around safely. There was noise at night from the bar across the street and the local traffic. This is expected whenever you're in a downtown type area. The hotel had a wonderful location. Next time I head up to Chicago I plan on staying at Kinzie again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for sharing your kind feedback. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m especially pleased to receive such great feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s such a pleasure to hear we came through on that promise. I’m happy you found our location in the vibrant and bustling downtown River North district to your liking. I’m also pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. Your thoughtful review is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

My daughter and I stayed in a 6th floor suite. It was very comfortable and amazingly quiet even though the room was situated over a main street. Having just returned from an out of town business trip where I stayed at a different hotel having a room over the main street, it was unbelievably noisy and made sleep difficult at times. Not true of the Kinzie Hotel suite.
The Kinzie Hotel is warm and inviting and pleasantly decorated. Bathroom amenities and on-floor buffet breakfast were wonderful.
All the employees I met were very nice especially those in reservations, Amanda Travers and Katie Russell. Not often does one have the opportunity to meet the general manager, Patti Koehn or the office manager, Melissa Drza who were equally as welcoming.
Great experience overall and looking forward to returning soon.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for the lovely review! We’re delighted to hear you and your daughter had an enjoyable stay with us at the new Kinzie Hotel. I’m pleased to hear you found our newly renovated Deluxe One-Bedroom King Suite comfortable and décor to your liking. I’m happy you enjoyed all our amenities, like our in-room H2O Plus spa products and complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. I’m especially pleased to receive such wonderful feedback about our Front Office and Reservations teams. We will be sure to pass your kind comments along. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you and your daughter back for another Chicago getaway soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!