“Solid Chicago hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Mother's Day Package!
Ranked #16 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Somerset, New Jersey
“Solid Chicago hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

Great location within walking distance of lots of things; comfortable beds, clean sleek and modern decor. Fridge in room (but no microwave). Continental breakfast set up outside elevators on each floor consisted of cereal, juice, yogurt, hardboiled eggs, lots and lots of pastries, bagels and toast, coffee and tea. Tray in room provided to grab what you want in your bathrobe (saw several people do this) and go back to room. Two drink tickets per person per day for lounge on 6th floor, open 5-8 with Italian style hors d'oeuvres served (meat/cheeses, bruchetta, pitas, veggies, etc. Room service from Harry Caray's across street, which I got was great but not cheap (what is?). Keefer's steakhouse downstairs can be charged to room as well but not room service. Overall, good value, cool hotel and great location-I'd stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you for the kind review. We’re so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the recent enhancements—like the addition of hard-boiled eggs, new coffee and in-room trays to carry the food to you room. I’m further pleased to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception and the recently expanded hours—now from 5-8pm. I’m also happy to hear you enjoyed the meal from our room service providers, Harry Caray’s Italian steakhouse. Your warm recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
kalamazoo, mi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My daughter and I needed a hotel room close to the Magnificent Mile for shopping. We chose the Amalfi because of the extras that were included with the room. All other hotels offered the accommodations only but the Amalfi has a continental breakfast for ALL rooms regardless of whom you buy your stay with. The breakfast consisted of juices, coffee, tea, pastries, fruit, and boiled eggs. Just right for getting you going in the morning. The buffet is set up by the elevators on each floor so it is easily accessible and can be taken to your room for consumption. Also included for all are an evening cocktail (2 tickets per person) and hors d'oeuvres- salsa, humus, pita chips, Baggett, salami, bruschetta, veggies and dips. The cocktails were your choice (I had a house martini) The hours were 4:30-8:00 and in a room with tables and chairs, intimate for conversation. The lobby is very small but doable and the desk clerks and doorman attentive. The room was roomy enough with a small frig and snacks and water available for purchase. There was a Keurig type coffee maker in the room. Aveda products in the bathroom. We have fun choosing a different hotel each time we come to Chicago. Although we enjoyed the amenities, it was not exceptional enough for a return visit as the room was average

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re delighted to know you and your daughter enjoyed your recent shopping getaway with us. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and the recently enhanced assortment of breakfast items. I’m also happy you were able to enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception and take advantage of the newly extended hours from 5-8pm. While I’m pleased to hear you appreciated our in-room amenities like the new Keurig coffee makers and Aveda spa products, I’m sorry the room overall was not to your liking. You’ll be pleased to know we will begin renovating our rooms very soon with a fresh and even more inviting look. We invite you to come back and experience our enhanced rooms once they’re completed. Thank you again for your helpful feedback. We hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future.

Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

The location of this hotel is primo to sight-seeing in Chicago! Its only a mile or less to all the major attractions in Chicago! The room was spacious and plenty of room in the bathroom. THe beds were surprisingly comfortable (huge compliment here as we have tempurpedic at home)The continental breakfast was outside the elevators on every floor which was nice. It wasn't anything spectacular, basically cereal, donuts, bagels, yogurt and juices. But it was enough for us in the morning so we didn't have to seek out another meal. Staff was great! And they had computer and printer to print boarding passes in lobby! We did not make it to cocktail hours on 6th floor! Lots of restaurants near by too! Will definitely recommend!!!

Con-no microwave in room (would have been nice for midnight snack), no fan in the bathroom so lots of steam during shower.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the rave review! We’re overjoyed to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m delighted to hear you were able to take advantage of our location in the downtown River North district and were able to walk to all the nearby attractions. I’m pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also happy to hear you found our rooms to your liking. While we don’t have microwaves in each room, we do have a few available for rental at our front desk. I’m sorry you weren’t able to join us for the evening cocktail reception—hopefully you’ll be able to attend during your next stay. Your gracious recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our first time in Chicago and the 11 nights we spent at the Amalfi were excellent. Even with my wife's disability, we found we could easily walk just a few blocks to many different restaurants and shops. The Amalfi staff were all very nice and helpful. The free breakfast has a wide choice of foods & drinks and two drinks each included with hors d'oeuvres at the evening reception, all added to our enjoyment. We'd certainly stay there again on a future vacation.

Room Tip: We had a corner room 611 which was a good size with King bed & gave us good views over two diffe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled to hear you and your wife enjoyed your recent stay with us! I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the newly upgraded selection of breakfast items. I’m also happy you were able to enjoy of our complimentary evening cocktail reception and take advantage of the newly extended hours from 5-8pm. We truly appreciate such a glowing recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon!

Winston Salem, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I loved the hospitality in Chicago, especially at Amalfi where they welcomed us during a very late check in with smiles, helpful advise, and waters. The room was a great size for a room in the city, not too tiny at all. (We got our deal on Hotels Tonight App) The bed's comfort level was OK and the bathroom nice and big enough for me and my friend to put our things on both sides of the sink. My one big problem was the shower. Unfortunately, there were a few hairs left in my tub that I had to fish out with hotel face towels. I was a little frustrated as I just wanted to shower and every time I thought I got the last one there was another... EW... Definitely a time when I would've wanted shower shoes.

Breakfast is served on each floor which is odd and not so fancy if your with someone but still a wide selection.

Location was great and very close to magmile, not too far from the parks either. It's close to trump tower. I'm so indecisive and the staff was always helpful when we kept asking them where to go or what to do or what we needed! Great help.

Despite the hair incident, again EW, I would definitely stay at the Amalfi again for it's location, room, and welcoming atmosphere.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. While I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay, I’m sorry to hear about the condition of your shower. I assure you that this is not typical of our hotel’s high housekeeping standards and I will be contacting you directly for more information. We will use your feedback to review and retrain our Housekeeping Department to ensure this is not an issue in the future. I am pleased to hear you liked our central downtown location and were able to walk to all the nearby sites, like the Magnificent Mile. And I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and newly enhanced selection of breakfast items. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at the Amalfi while in town for business because it was close to my office on LaSalle. It was a lovely surprise. I waited only 5 minutes to check in and the delightfully friendly staff felt badly that I'd waited and gave me additional drink tickets for their nightly happy hour. The room was a good size with a comfortable bed and very clean. In the morning there was a continental breakfast spread on each floor (thank goodness they provide robes) with muffins, English muffins, bagels, bread, cereal, yogurt, juice, milk, fruit, hard-boiled eggs, etc.. It was really convenient.

The fitness room was OK. It was clean with 3 treadmills and 2 ellipticals. I only had to wait once for a few minutes. That said, the treadmills could have used some maintenance and there was only one five pound weight and nothing else below 10 pounds.

The staff was really lovely and the location was very convenient for both business and pleasure. I asked for a room on an upper floor because I'd read about noise on lower floors. I was in room 627 and it was very quiet

Room Tip: Upper floor far from the elevator and the ice machine was quiet and I had a large window.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your thoughtful review with the TripAdvisor community. We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m especially pleased to receive such kind feedback about front office team—I’ll be sure to pass your kind comments along! I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the newly enhanced assortment of breakfast items. I’m also happy you liked our complimentary 24-hour fitness center and appreciate your feedback about the machinery. I’ll be sure to pass it along to our Engineering Team. We truly appreciate your gracious review. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

My husband and I booked our hotel room at the last minute using Book It. We had a king room on the 6th floor and the hotel was very accommodating when I asked for a quiet room. The bed was very comfortable, the towels were lush, room & bathroom good sized. I loved the fact that the bed had a blanket in addition to the duvet. We enjoyed complimentary cocktails- my husband had the Amalfitini and I had the Sorrento Sunset. We were surprised we weren't just offered beer and wine. The snacks were fresh. We also enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast which was served at the elevator. The pastries were delicious and everything was fresh. We learned too late to use the tray that was in the room. All of the staff was helpful and friendly. Noise wasn't an issue. The air conditioner was quiet and worked efficiently. Our only complaints were the lack of a TV guide and a broken door where the coffee pot and ice bucket were located. We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re overjoyed to receive such positive guest feedback. I’m pleased to hear you liked our rooms and appreciated our in-room amenities, like our new, oversized fluffy towels. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed our recently enhanced complimentary continental breakfast but sorry you missed the new serving trays placed in each guest room. I’m also sorry about the maintenance issues in your room, like the TV guide and broken door. I will be following up with you directly for more information so our Engineering team can rectify these issues immediately. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed our complimentary evening cocktail reception and were able to take advantage of our Ravello Lounge’s new extended hours from 5pm-8pm. I’m especially pleased you were able to indulge in both our signature cocktails—the Amalfitini and Sorrento Sunset. Your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you and your husband back soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!