“Decent Hotel in a great area” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now!
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles
“Decent Hotel in a great area”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My wife and I got a great deal from Jetsetter and was excited since it was advertised as a 4 star hotel. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it didn't feel like a 4 star. However, it was still a decent place to stay. It's in a great location; blocks away from Michigan Ave and the bed was quite comfortable. We were only there for a night so we didn't get to experience the breakfast and happy hour but we sure did want to try it. Maybe next time?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I’m pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago and visit all the nearby sites including Michigan Avenue. Hopefully the next time you stay with us you’ll be able to indulge and enjoy our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception! We truly appreciate your valuable feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
DETROIT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I don't even know the number I'm on of stays at the Amazing Hotel but it won't be my last in fact I'm thinking about returning again for my Pre-Birthday Celebration Good Friday Weekend. Everyone is so nice and the amenities are great. Like everyone has said the beds are so freaking comfortable, Manager's Reception is amazing (just get their on time) and the Continental Breakfast is just enough after a night in Chicago. I was kinda sad when I first arrived because I didn't see the usual Doormen but by the time I dropped my stuff off in the room and came back down I saw both of them and that made it like I just arrived at home. Location is great and they are opening a ton of new restaurants so you will definitely find something that will satisfy you. If you still don't know if you should book, just give it a chance.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re thrilled you enjoyed your most recent stay with us and flattered to have your continued loyalty throughout the years. I’m especially pleased to receive such kind feedback about our front office team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service so it’s a pleasure to know that our team contributes to you feeling right at home when you stay with us I’m also pleased to know you were able to take advantage of our downtown location in the vibrant River North district—especially all the newly opened restaurants you mentioned. We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the Spring!

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We enjoyed our 4 nite stay!! The Amalfi has nice modern decor and contemporary furniture. I like how the front desk is not one long desk, but 3 seperate ones so you feel like you are getting personal attention, and not just the next number in line. Very clean hotel, very comfy bed and pillows. And the shower!! Wow! Double headed shower which just melts away stress. We were sorry we took advantage of the happy hour once, but we were having too much fun the other nites. Amalfi has happy hour 5-7p with free alcoholic drinks and appetizers. There is also free continental breakfast on every floor in the morning by the elevators. Nothing to do cartwheels for, but good coffee, tea, bagels and muffins and fruit, enough to get you going in the morning. Staff was friendly and very helpful as well. Hotel was very close to downtown attractions like House of Blues and State street shopping. Michigan avenue is only a few blocks away too.

The hotel's room service food comes from Harry Carays restaurant acroos the street, which I hear is very good. The only thing we didnt like were the maids. They did a fine job cleaning, but didnt respect and/or understand the little sign on your door means DO NOT DISTURB! 3 times we left the sign on our door after we went out, and came back and the room was clean. Call me paranoid but I like to put my stuff away before people come in my room. On the last day we were sleep at 9a with the sign on the door, and she proceeded to come in for service anyway! Good think the lock was on the door. Besides that small thing we still enjoyed the Amalfi .Would love to stay again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the thoughtful review! I’m delighted you chose to spend your anniversary with us and to know it was an enjoyable one! I’m pleased to know you were able to enjoy and indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well as our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast. I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our Housekeeping Department; I will be contacting you directly for your room number so I may follow up with the department supervisor and ensure that this is a not an issue in the future. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back for your next anniversary—if not sooner!

A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

While a solid experience, the amalfi seems more like a touched up marriott than a ground up modern hotel. While the non formal lobby and pillow top mattress are nice touches. The hotel carpetting is tremendously drab and the desk set up remarkably dull.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. I’m pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m sorry that you found issue with our carpeting; we strive to maintain the highest standards for all our guest rooms and I apologize if this was not the case with your room. I’ll be contacting you directly for more details so we may rectify any issues. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your helpful feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked this hotel because of a great travelzoo deal and also based on the location and the daily breakfast and happy hour included. We were not disappointed!

The staff were all great from the friendly doormen and check-in staff to the bartenders at happy hour. The room was surprisingly spacious and the bed was very comfortable. There was a fridge and a great selection of glassware - rocks glasses, wine glasses and coffee mugs. The bathroom was also roomy and the Aveda bath products were lovely.

The location is great, just a block from the river. Restaurants, shopping and attractions are very nearby and an easy walk even in winter. We walked to the art museum, Macy's on State Street, Frontera Grill and the Magnificent Mile.

The daily manager's reception/happy hour on the 6th floor was a great touch. It was very busy, especially at 5:30 when it started. Lines streched out both doors for food and drinks. But bar service was great and the cocktails were free. (Be sure to tip the bartenders!). The food was ok. Salami, cheese, crostini and some toppings that went fast. The food spread was pretty decimated about 20 minutes after the start and was never refreshed. But it was a nice, little free snack.

Breakfast is set up each morning by the elevators on each floor with a toaster, breads, bagels, cream cheese, jam and butter, yogurt and cereal, coffee, tea, milk and juice. It was nice to have this small breakfast in the room rather than going out and spending $20 on breakfast.

All in all, this was a great hotel experience. We loved the location and service and would stay here again.

Room Tip: 5th and 6th floor have a bit of a view. Lower floors have none.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor! We’re thrilled to know you enjoyed your stay with us and especially pleased to receive such positive guest feedback about our team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to know we delivered on that promise. I’m also pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m happy to hear you enjoyed the complimentary evening reception as well but disappointed to learn the antipasto spread was not replenished. I’ve followed up with our Food & Beverage manager to ensure that this is not an issue in the future. Again, thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Milwaukee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We just returned from a 3 night stay at this wonderful hotel. We stayed in a corner king room which was very spacious and very quiet even though it was New Years Eve weekend. The staff goes out of its way to make sure guests get their needs met. The evening cocktail hour was an added plus as they served high quality alcohol, beer and wine in glass glasses, and was a nice addedh. The morning continental breakfast included coffee, juices, fruit and muffins and pastry.
The hotel has a great location with easy access to Michigan Avenue and many great River North restaurants, but is on a quiet street which is a rarity in this exciting city. We would highly recommend this hotel and we look forward to our next stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you kindly for the glowing recommendation! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent weekend stay with us and found your corner king room to your liking! I’m also happy that you were able to enjoy and indulge in our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well as our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast! I’m also happy to know you were able to take advantage of our location in vibrant downtown River North district with our many great restaurant options, as you mentioned. We truly appreciate your warm recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!