“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now!
Ranked #15 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Minneapolis, MN
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Amalfi is perfectly located. Walking distance to several different Metro lines, lots of restaurants, attractions, you name it. The cocktail reception is a nice touch and saved us some money. The breakfast is spartan, but really okay-no complaints. The staff is very friendly and helpful for the most part. When we checked in, the woman who we dealt with was surprisingly curt. The reservation was under my name, not my husbands, and she gave him a suspicious look. I didn't think too much of it until we passed her later on on our way out being very friendly and warm and full of suggestionsm to another couple. She was the only staff member who wasn't very gracious and helpful. The rest of the lobby staff was great. Our room was fine-only complaint was we were right across from the gym area and we could hear the door opening and closing early and late.

Room Tip: Don't stay right across from the fitness area.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. I’m pleased to know you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and found our central downtown Chicago location to your liking. While I’m pleased to receive positive feedback about our front office team, I am disappointed to learn that your check-in experience didn’t live up to our high standards of service. It is evident the person you encountered was not upholding the Amalfi standards, and I will be contacting you directly for more information so I can further address the associate involved and ensure that this is not an issue in the future. Thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

I stayed for a week at the Amalfi hotel and had an amazing experience. I've stayed for the same amount of time for business in Chicago before, and have never had this great of an experience.

Upon check in, I was happy to see the intimacy of the lobby and professionalism of the staff. When I told the front desk staff I would be unable to make breakfast the next morning due to leaving early, they sent up a breakfast to me that evening for the next morning. They were VERY knowledgable about the local area, public transit, and recommended the perfect restaurants for me based on my food likes.

The rooms are spacious, the bathrooms are huge. The showers have dual shower heads and the water pressure was great. The work out room is open 24/7 and has TV's on the machines which I love. They also had medicine balls, matts and free weights.

The breakfasts are good, if not a bit limited. But all I really require is cereal and they had many options for that. They have breakfast right outside your room, on your floor, so no need to be awake to grab a bite! Very convenient. Also you can lounge around in the provided bathrobe and slippers which are simply heavenly. I also slept the best I've ever slept in a hotel in their beds. The room was quiet and I didn't hear the busy city outside at all!

I'm not much for cocktails but the reception was decent. They had open bar and some cold cuts with bread/spread as appetizers. Didn't appeal to me very much, but it was a nice perk.

The location was fantastic for public transit on every El line, and most bus lines. If not directly outside the hotel, they are only a few blocks away. You're also right by a CVS to purchase metro cards.

My only complaint would be that the valet parking is quite expensive, but it's Chicago and I knew what I was in for anyhow. Next time, I will be staying at the Amalfi again for sure, but will most likely rely on the public transit since it's so convenient to the hotel and much less expensive.

The staff at the hotel went above and beyond the call of duty to make my experience exceptional. I stay at a lot of hotels, and I've never been given this much personal attention. It was truly extraordinary and they will get my business again.

I highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Chicago area and it's within their budget. The amount of service and amenities you get for the cost and location is superb.

Room Tip: If you need a restaurant recommendation, ask Chase at the front desk!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re absolutely thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our front office team. We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and I’m so pleased to hear we delivered on everything from directions, restaurants recommendations and more! I’ll be sure to pass your kind comments along to them. I’m further pleased to know you found our rooms to your liking as well as in-room amenities like our dual showerheads, slippers and bathrobe. Coming from an experienced and savvy traveler like yourself, your glowing recommendation is truly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

Plainview, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed at the Amalfi in August for five nights. This is a very nice hotel for a reasonable price and considering it's in the heart of the city, it's a terrific value. The rooms are a nice size and well kept. They offer free breakfast, and also a free cocktail hour from around 6-7 where drinks and light food are served. Overall, if you plan to stay in Chicago, I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to hear you enjoyed your August stay with us and found our central downtown location to your liking! I’m also happy to know you were able to enjoy and indulge in our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. We’re grateful to receive such a glowing recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Frederiksberg, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I parked in front of the hotel and I noticed that they had valet parking, which price was quite steep. The valet parking was almost 20 dollar more expensive than all the other places that I had used before but I decided to use it anyway as I just wanted to get in and relax. The price was 47 dollar a night, so you can say that it was paid.

I was quite surprised when I saw the hotel from the outside as the hotel looked really huge and it not something that I had expected. The valet guys were all over me when I arrived at the hotel and I took out my stuff and gave them the car keys and went to the reception inside.

The lounge area in front of the reception was quite full of people but it was also quite small compared to the huge hotel. The reception was two small desks with a girl sitting behind in an office chair. My receptionist found my booking quite fast and I was given a room on second floor, which I was okay with.

My room was quite nice and I especially liked my bed. It was large and pretty high, which is a fact that I like because beds in European hotels are usually quite low. The room was really bright and the Wi-Fi worked quite well. The bathroom was nice and I liked my room a lot.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We’re pleased to know you enjoyed your stay with us and you found our rooms to your liking. While downtown parking costs vary, our $47 valet parking rate is within the average of area hotels. If you’re looking for more economical choices, we do recommend several self-park lots in the area; however, they do not offer in-and-out privileges like we do for our valet parking. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.

Plainview, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I definitely recommend staying at this hotel in Chicago. The customer service was terrific and we enjoyed the complimentary breakfast and cocktail reception. The location was perfect for all attractions and activities. The room was clean and comfortable. You won't be disappointed with this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to hear how much you enjoyed staying with us and to receive such positive guest feedback about our team. I’m also pleased you found our complimentary amenities to your liking as well. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We look forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago!

Westampton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Amalfi is a small hotel in a very convenient area of Chicago, near public transportation. The staff is wonderful, especially Adriel who recommended attractions and restaurants and Karem.. The hotel offers a cold continental breakfast on each hallway in the am and a cocktail party in the evening.

The rooms are small, nothing special but the atmosphere and the staff made it special for us. Definitely would return again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
What a lovely review! We’re thrilled to receive such positive guest feedback—especially about our front office team! We pride ourselves on delivering the highest level of service and it’s a pleasure to hear we delivered on that promise. We’ll be sure to share your kind comments with Adriel and Karem as well. I’m further pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast as well as our evening cocktail reception. We’re truly honored to receive such a warm recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Mechelen, Belgium
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Hotels in Chicago are expensive, and so is this one.
But compared to other hotels in the area it's probably one of the best value/money wise.

The hotel personnel is courteous and always welcoming you with a smile. There's a free happy hour for guests each day with free drinks, rooms are clean and sound proofing is decent. The beds are really comfortable.

Only a couple of negs: the airconditioning is pretty noisy and so are the ice machines in the hallways. There are not enough cupboards to store your clothes if you're in for a long stay.

The breakfast is ok, but you need to be fast. As the breakfast is a buffet in the hallway, you need to return to your room to eat.

Room Tip: Corner suites are a bit larger. In the center of the hallway you can have lots of noise from the ic...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you kindly for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We’re pleased to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found our complimentary amenities like our evening cocktail reception to your liking. I apologize for the air conditioning noise you experienced; that is not typical of our hotel’s HVAC system. I will be contacting you directly for more information so we can rectify that issue immediately. I also appreciate your feedback about adding more storage units in the room and will be sure to share with the appropriate departments. Thank you again for your feedback—we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back upon your next stay in Chicago.

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!