“Cute and quaint hotel...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Mother's Day Package!
Ranked #16 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Cute and quaint hotel...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

Boutique hotel very cute...location is great safe to walk around and safe to walkto michigan ave, and the El....hotel has been redone with fresh"make up"....rooms and lobby are not terribly large ( I guess because its an older chicagoproperty...all in all good experience.

• Stayed September 2012
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We’re delighted to know your stay with us was a pleasant one. I’m happy to know you were able to take advantage of our central downtown Chicago location—especially our close proximity to nearby Michigan Avenue. Thank you again for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back upon your next visit to Chicago.

Cordially,
Guest Experience Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
Avon, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

I stayed at the Amalfi Hotel in Chicago a year ago, and was back for another business meeting at the same time this year. I gave it a favorable review a year ago and I'm pleased to say that it lived up to my expectations again. Here's a quick rundown of the pros and cons.

Pros:
- Service is top notch - ti was last year, and continues to be. From the doorman to room service to the front desk, everyone was helpful and made me feel like I was an honored guest.
- The decor hasn't changed, which is fine by me - modern and clean.
- Bathroom was large and spacious, with a dual showerhead. I *love* dual showerheads, even though I know it wastes water. One of my vices.
- The breakfast buffet is continental - which appeals to me - but if you're looking for eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc., you won't find it here.
- Their coffee is definitely in the top 5 favorites of mine, it is *really* good.
- Business services were great - several conference rooms that were well appointed and perfectly sized.
- I'm happy to say that one of last year's negatives has been ironed out - the blackout curtains worked! At least in this room (maybe last year's was an anomaly), I had no problem blocking all light from entering.

Cons:
- There's not much to gripe about; the problem I had with the shower liner was not really there, perhaps it truly was user error.
- The TV services/response is really slow. They have warnings telling you there's a hefty lag time between pressing a button and actual response, but it's pretty darn slow, and I've spent enough time in other hotels to know it's not necessary. It may be that brand of TV, but it's not a good thing.
- Still no restaurant in the building (and I doubt there ever would be), but for those that consider it important, I'm noting it here. They do work with Harry Caray's across the way for any catering, lunches, services, etc. Room service was fast from there, I'll say, and the food was good.

Again, a great stay at the Amalfi, comfortable beds and now familiar surroundings, I'll stay here anytime I go to Chicago. If you have any questions regarding this review or the hotel, feel free to reach out! Thanks for reading!

P.S. For some reason TA isn't letting me add more than 3 photos - I have a handful more, but I guess there's a limit. :(

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We’re pleased to know your second stay with us was a pleasant one and that we lived up to the high standards you’ve come to expect from us. I’m delighted to hear you were able to indulge in our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciate the wonderful feedback about our coffee. While I’m pleased that you didn’t experience any issues with your blackout curtains, I’m sorry to hear that your TV and remote weren’t working properly. We’re currently working with our Engineering Department to correct this issue.

Please note that Keefer’s Restaurant which is located in the same building as us and easily accessible through our joined lobby, offers charging privileges to your room when you dine there. We’re truly pleased you enjoyed staying with us again and we look forward to welcoming you back for your 3rd stay!

Mankato, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

We will stay here again...the free breakfast and free cocktail reception was fantastic! The staff was very helpful and friendly. Thanks for making our first stay in Chicago excellent! We stayed for three nights. The location was great, and easy to get to great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for sharing your review! We’re so happy to hear your first stay with us was an excellent one. We’re honored to receive such kind feedback about our team and will sure to pass your comments on. I’m also pleased you enjoyed our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. Thank you again for taking the time to share with the TripAdvisor community. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

This was my second stay at the Amalfi. I travel to Chicago for work and this hotel is in a great location - near my meetings on Wacker, near L stop, and within walking distance of shopping on Michigan Ave. The hotel amenities are fantastic too - I love the breakfast on each floor. I can run out and get my coffee and a bagel in a my pajamas! :) I was only able to stop by the manager's evening reception briefly, but it was also great - wine, beer and snacks.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review! We’re overjoyed to hear you enjoyed your most recent stay with us. I’m pleased to hear you were able to take advantage of our central location in downtown Chicago for both your business and leisure needs as well. I’m also happy that you were able to indulge in our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast every morning. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming back again soon for your 3rd stay!

Sunrise, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was recently in Chicago for a business trip and stayed at the Amalifi Hotel. The hotel is clean, the staff very pleasant and the extra added touches were superb. Although I stayed on the top floor (6th) the view, if you can call it that, was of the tops of older buildings next door. The room was spacious, the beds very comfortable and the selection of TV stations acceptable. A continental breakfast is served on every floor right at the elevator area, which makes it very convenient especially if you want to just run down in your robe to pick up something quick. The 'happy-hour' room was right on my floor.......making it very convenient for me:)) Besides the drinks, they serve a very nice array of cheeses, anti-pasta and breads. It was a very pleasant visit.......I look forward to staying there again if the opportunity arises,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your review with the TripAdvisor community. I’m happy to hear your recent stay with us was a pleasant one! I’m pleased to know you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also pleased that you were able to partake and enjoy our complimentary evening cocktail reception as well! Thank you again for taking the time to share your review. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon!

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Had a great three night stay at the Amalfi. Was greeted at the door, checked in by friendly staff, and found the room to be very comfortable. Perhaps not luxurious , but clean, well decorated, the bath had plenty of supplies and , in our room anyway, very quiet. Really like the hotel amenities.. We took advantage of the continental breakfast each day. It was really nice to just go down the hall to get coffee and food. The selection was adequate and frequently restocked. We also checked out the happy hour one night. Nicely done and worth visiting. A plus for what you pay for the hotel room. One of the best features of the hotel is the location. We could walk to everywhere we wanted to visit. We walked down Magnificent Mile, over to Navy Pier, down to the Art Instittue and even down to Buckingham Fountain . Great restaurants surround the hotel. Many to choose from all within blocks. Overall we would recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper floors. There is a fire station close and you will hear sirens from time to time.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for the 5-star review! We’re delighted to know you enjoyed your stay with us and to receive such lovely feedback about our team. I’m pleased you were able to indulge in and enjoy our complimentary amenities like our deluxe continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. I’m also happy you were able to take advantage of our central location in the downtown River North district and visit so many of Chicago’s sites—like the Art Institute and the Mag Mile! We truly appreciate your glowing recommendation and hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon!

San Juan, Puerto Rico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

The Amalfi is centrally located in Chicago, has an Italan motif to it, and is very well run. The guest rooms are appealing, clean and of adequate size. The bathrooms are spacious and clean. Every staff member was friendly and helpful.

The hotel has a nice and convenient touch every morning by setting up a Continental breakfast buffet at a long table near the elevators on every floor for the guests to serve themselves and take their breakfast back to their rooms.

My stay was not cheap by any standard on the week I travelled, but the Amalfi was a pleasant experience overall.

Room Tip: Roome on the South side of the hotel face Kinzie Street almost at the corner of N. Clark Street, whi...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. We’re happy to know your stay was a pleasant one! I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed our complimentary deluxe continental breakfast and appreciated the convenience of it being served on each floor. I’m also pleased to receive such kind comments about our team—I’ll be sure to pass them on. Thank you again for taking the time to share your feedback; we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!