“Very convenient and great location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now!
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Wausau, Wisconsin
“Very convenient and great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2012

We stayed at the Amalfi for just one night. We booked a room that included parking and the valet parking was very convenient and fast. The rooms are clean and spacious and the continental breakfast is nice. The beds are really comfortable. The location is also great. It’s easy to walk everywhere downtown.

Room Tip: Try and get a room that does not haev a brick wall view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2012

I've lived in Chicago and now travel there often for work and this is hands down my go-to hotel that I also recommend to friends and family. It's extremely convenient to all of the tourist hot-spots, clean, comfortable, very affordable, and with all of that comes free breakfast, free wifi, and free happy hour that includes appetizers. Need I say more?

The breakfast isn't huge. Don't expect the big vat of eggs in the lobby. It's served near the elevators on every floor and includes juices, coffee, fruit, cereals, donuts, bagels etc. The basic continental service that does the trick for me! Happy hour was also a very nice surprise. When I read about it, I expected a tiny glass of wine in a plastic cup as well as some chex mix. That couldn't have been farther from the truth. They have set up a big room with some tall tables, comfy chairs and a big screen TV to make it more of a lounge feel. (This means that there isn't a hotel lobby bar. But really? People are complaining about that? There are fantastic bars/restaurants literally RIGHT next door.) The hotel then offer an open bar as well as a big spread of Italian appetizers - breads, meats, cheeses, olives, etc etc. You could easily make a meal out of it. I've found this alternative to be a great way to cap off my work day by kicking back with a free glass of wine (or 5), chatting with other guests and relaxing while not having to be holed up in my room alone.

My rooms have always been very comfortable as well as quiet. I've never run into loud AC issues like another reviewer noted. It's true - you're not right on the river so you most likely won't have a fantastic view. But for around $100 less per night and amenities galore, they can keep their view and I'll walk the one block to see the river in the morning. :)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
De Pere, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2012

Room 632 is a corner king suite that has windows on three sides.......you can see the top of the John Hancock center....it was just gorgeous! I love the location of this property, especially for going to the theater. We ate one night at Theory which is directly behind the Amalfi (same block). It was a Thursday night and they had $5 burgers. It was seriously the best burger I had ever had! Back to the Amalfi---concierge service was great...very professional and helpful making dinner reservations, etc. The nightly reception and basic breakfast keeps me coming back. I also LOVE that they put a sheet on top of the comforter. I am a germ freak and this makes me so happy! So, there are two sheets...one next to your body, then a blanket, then a down comforter, then another sheet. Just seems cleaner.......If I have any negative feedback it is this - some healthier choices for breakfast would really be great and the coffee was not hot (just warm) and just wasn't really good at all. Still---I will be back and I will be requesting room 632. I will remember that view for ages......

Room Tip: get room 632----huge king suite with wonderful views
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2012

Amalfi hotel is very convenient for the centre of Chicago but doesn't have a view of the river. It is comfortably but basic - i.e. good for a night if you're on business but poor if you're in Chicago on holiday and want to be able to relax in the hotel.

Positives: Great (and free) wi-fi, decent sized rooms, friendly staff.
Negatives: Breakfast is poor (although it is free), noisy heating/air-con (I had to switch mine off at night), no bar or lounge to meet drinks and have a drink.

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
AmalfiHotelChicago, Front Office Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you found our location in the central River North neighborhood convenient and our staff accommodating. We apologize your room did not have a view of the river; while not all of our rooms have views, a majority offer views of the downtown area that are available upon request.

While our Ravello Lounge is under renovation, we do still offer our complimentary cocktail reception every evening on the 6th floor. We also invite you to try Keefer’s Restaurant and Bar, located right inside our building. Their steaks and contemporary menu is highly recommended and an easy option for on-site dining as the hotel’s side entrance opens to the shared lobby. We look forward to welcoming you back to Chicago if you choose to stay at the Amalfi for your next visit.

Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

This was an excellent hotel! I love a hotel that caters to you, if even just a good continental breakfast, but not only did they have a really good continental breakfast, but also, every night they had a coctail party with free coctails!! Wow, I have never been to a hotel who serves an open bar with coctails, beer and wine! The workers were really accomadating, and very pleasant! The hotel was in a prime neighborhood, where we were able to walk to all the major food chains, and all the theaters!! We stayed a week here at this facility, and I would definately go back again, and again! It was an excellent Value, expecially for all we got! This is well worth the money we spent.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for sharing your Amalfi experience! We’re thrilled you enjoyed our complimentary amenities such as our continental breakfast and evening cocktail reception. Our “prime” location (as you fittingly put it) in the River North neighborhood offers a great selection of restaurants and nightlife and I’m delighted you were able to take advantage of it!

Thank you for recognizing our customer service and sharing your comments with other TripAdvisor travelers. We appreciate your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back to the Amalfi upon your next visit to Chicago.

Warm Regards,
Kauniainen, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

Friendly staff, big enough and quiet room. Excellent drinks in the happy hour, but that whole concept I can live very well without. No nice lounge or restaurant (the Ravello one was beeing renovated) where you could have breakfast and hang out - and to a comment in this forum. No, I do not want to bring that breakfast to somewhere else. That breakfast, full of fat and carbs, was the third worst I have seen in a hotel of good standard. Luckily there was a 7/11 and Starbucks round the corner where I could pick up something to eat that was at least half-way nutricious and some drinkable coffee. But not beeing able to have a good breakfast in a nice environment will make me avoid this hotel when in town.
Also I found it unacceptable not beeing able to even discuss late check out before 7 a.m. the same morning.
The location is good, with many restaurants close by. Logging on to the WiFi was very smooth.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. We’re pleased to know you enjoyed our spacious accommodations and convenient location in the vibrant River North neighborhood. We apologize if our complimentary continental breakfast were not to your liking; we do try to offer a number of nutritious items such as fresh fruit, healthy cereal options and nonfat yogurt. As we are always looking to improve our breakfast selection, we appreciate your comments and will be sure to pass them on.

As you mentioned, we are renovating our Ravello Lounge and delighted to inform you that these renovations will create a more spacious environment with new lighting, furniture and a custom mural of the Amalfi Coast. We invite you to come to stay with us again so you may experience our breakfast in a more comfortable setting.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My usual Chicago hotels were all sold out during a recent business trip, so I decided to give Amalfi a try. The location in River North is excellent, particularly if you're interested in nightlife. The staff was all business when I checked in - no mention of the free breakfast on every floor, I found out about that the next morning (nice surprise). Room size was good, generally clean and comfortable bed. I had a room in the back of the hotel which literally faced a wall, so the view was awful and there was little natural light. In fact, the whole hotel feels...dark and cavernous? Nothing wrong here, per se, but I think there are better options in the area, my favorite being the Dana Hotel .

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
As a regular Chicago visitor, we appreciate your choosing to stay with us at the Amalfi and delighted that you found our location in the vibrant River North neighborhood convenient. We’re sorry that the view was not to your liking; we do have a number of rooms with views of the downtown area that are available upon request. We apologize that your Experience Designer did not mention the complimentary continental breakfast at check-in. We appreciate your feedback and will use this as an opportunity to re-train our associates so this oversight will not occur again in the future.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope that you will consider staying with us upon your next visit to Chicago.

Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!