“Awesome Hotel and Staff!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Cyber Monday Savings!
Ranked #16 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Lakeland
“Awesome Hotel and Staff!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

It didn't matter what time of day or night we headed out the staff always greeted us, going and coming, with a smile. Restaurants they recommended were excellent.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

Great hotel to explore chicago from. Just blocks from the blue line train that will save you from having to pay for a taxi from O'hare airport, it also is situated 2 blocks from the magnificent mile, 2 blocks from the loop, with plenty of high calibre eateries around the hotel. The best part, and the reason I booked the hotel was the free breakfasts, and the free wifi which most chain hotels do not provide. A very surprising bonus was at 6 o'clock in the evening the hotel has a complementary cocktail hour where they supply all the guest with free drinks, a very nice personal touch, where as a solo traveller, it gives you the chance to meet fellow travelers is you so wish. The room are standard, nothing special, but clean and have everything you need. Highly recommend the place for location, special touches and price.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

This trip to Chicago was off to a bad start with me missing my morning flight. I ended up getting here at midnight and didnt check in until 1 am. This is my first time staying at Amalfi, the previous time I stayed at Affinia. The location was great, a few blocks from Magnificent Mile, Subway-Clark/Lake station and other attractions were within walking distance. Check in took a bit of time since I wanted to put incidental deposit on a different card rather than the one I used to pay for room charges, the front desk was quick to accommodate this request and sped me through the check in process. I was exhausted and starved and they gave me menus of nearby restaurants that were still open and deliver to the hotel upon my request, that was very neat. The room (209) was probably the worst room u could get, of course i wasnt expecting a spectacular view since i didnt request and paid for one. The view of the brick wall of the building next door wasnt a problem. However I felt like I was staying in a matchbox because my phone cant even get any reception. The room itself was spacious but outdated, the bed was comfortable and I loved the 2 shower heads. But the room wasnt spotlessly clean since there were strains of hair spotted in the bathroom sink and on the bed. I decided I wasnt going to be a pain over that stuff. Free wi-fi was painfully slow even though I didnt use it much. I wont complain since it's free, but if you're going to offer it to your guests as complimentary, wouldnt it be more useful if the guests can really benefit from it? It's pointless for the hotel to offer it if the guests cant really use it. I woke up late and didnt make it to complimentary breakfast which front desk later informed me that it only last until 9:30 am. I requested privacy so the maid didnt come in and clean the room but they were curteous in leaving me a note that if I wanted the room cleaned they were still available. The next morning I did make it to breakfast and it was great, not a lot of choices but they were enough to get me through the morning. My overall stay with Amalfi was good, there's no such thing as perfect but u can always try. I'd be willing to give Amalfi another try the next time I visit Windy City.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

We were pleased with our stay at the Amalfi in Chicago. We booked through Expedia and took a chance based on reviews and all went well. Large room, view of the city, comfortable beds, clean and nice large bathroom. Extras included buffet breakfast on each floor, which was well stocked with cereals, fruit, juice, sticky buns etc. Also, cocktail party each evening at 5:30 pm until 7 ish. Cocktails and appetizers. Staff was great, friendly and helpful. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Mnneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2011

They treated us really well. Friendly service, rooms cleaned very thoroughly each day, free breakfasts and cocktail/apps hours. The location was perfect -- easy access to sightseeing, shopping, food and el lines. If you are celebrating something, let them know in advance. They'll make you feel special.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Louisville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My wife and I wanted a nice place to stay to celebrate our 20th anniversary and didn't want a chain hotel, so we took off to Chicago and stayed at the Amalfi. Not knowing downtown Chicago, it looked on the map like location might be a problem, but we couldn't have been more wrong! The Amalfi is centrally located and very near the river, Michigan Ave, the riverwalk, etc. The staff couldn't be more helpful, and the bellmen were especially good. We're not fans of valet parking, but even that was OK. The rooms are luxurious, and it's really convenient to have breakfast on each floor and not have to dress to go to the lobby. They encourage you to go in the provided robes, which are very comfortable.

A couple of things to be aware of...since the hotel is downtown, the views are not so great as it is surrounded by taller buildings. But in Chicago, most people don't spend much time in their rooms anyway. One other caveat...we bought tickets to a show through their concierge about a month ahead of time which were, of course, nonrefundable. After a couple of days, I went directly to Ticketmaster and found that I could have gotten the same tickets for over $100 less. Oh well, lesson learned.

Regardless, it was a wonderful experience and we will not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and have windows on three sides.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Experience Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Happy 20th Anniversary!

Thank you so much for sharing your positive thoughts about the Amalfi Hotel Chicago with fellow travelers. It makes our jobs worthwhile to see that you enjoyed your stay. We’re very happy that you found our location convenient and enjoyed our amenities, such as the plush robes and breakfast.

We are so sorry to hear about your unfortunate ticket mishap. We'll be sure to investigate the miscommunication with Ticketmaster further in order to maintain our customers' best interests. Thank you for being so understanding and patient. Please let us know next time you visit and we'll be sure to send you something special to welcome you back to the Amalfi Hotel Chicago.

We hope to see you again soon!

Warmest Regards,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager
Mahomet, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2011

My husband, myself, 21 year old daughter and 17 year old son stayed here one night over Labor Day weekend. Having never stayed in a non-chain hotel outside of WDW I wasn't sure what to expect. This hotel is amazing! We were in Chicago for our anniversary and I had indicated that on the reservation. We had a good rate already via TripAdvisor, but when arriving found out they upgraded us to a King suite with the huge windows and two tvs and a large bathroom with many Aveda products. We were again surprised when two wine glasses and a bottle of wine in ice came to our door compliments of the Amalfi. Such a nice touch!! The breakfast had lots to pick from and is so nice that it is on your own floor. We walked to the Grand Lux Cafe for dinner since Michigan Ave. is just a short two blocks away. This is in a great location and I would definately stay there again!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!