Ok. I really wanted to love this hotel. There are so many positive things about it but the negative aspect is too important to simply sweep under the rug.
First, the positives!
1. Location! This hotel is in a perfect location to most of the popular sights and attractions in downtown Chicago. Great restaurants such as Sunda, Mastro's, etc are just around the corner. The nightlife around the hotel is close and happening, if that's what you are going for. More on that in a bit.
2. Transportation. The hotel is very close to the loop so if you need to take the CTA, you are very close.
3. Shopping. The Magnificent Mile is just a short walk from the hotel so you don't really even need a cab to drag all of your spoils back from an epic shopping trip!
4. The Hotel. The hotel itself was nice with great people working the doors and very nice people doing the check in. Jose was our guy and did a very quick, friendly and efficient check in upon our arrival. The one exception was the person we talked to about the noise in one of the rooms next door (see screaming wedding shower below). She was nice but fairly indifferent. I suspect it is because the hotel was full (I was told that by one of the doormen) and she really couldn't do anything about it. It was OK though. All I was really concerned about was whether they were checking out or if we were going to have to listen to them all night again.
1. Noise, noise, noise. The location is VERY noisy. There are a few clubs that are very close to the hotel that were thumping until almost 5am. The PublicHouse was the insanely deafening culprit down on the corner of Lake/State, just below the Amalfi.
Between the clubbing out on the street, the screaming drunks, the multiple wedding parties staying at the hotel, the SCREAMING gaggle of women in the room next to us holding a bachelorette party Saturday night then a wedding shower on Sunday morning, as well as the dozens of kids running up and down the hotel halls early in the morning while their brain dead parents were preparing for checkout, I could have gone to a Cubbies day game and tried to take a nap amongst the bleacher bums and had a better chance of getting some peace and quiet.
It wasn't just a weekend thing, either. The area was just as noisy on Thursday night as it was on Saturday night.
One of the problems you have with the hotel is that it has just 6 floors. Even though it looks like a high rise on all the photos you see, it isn't. There are what seemed like offices up above. So even if you get a room on the "top floor", you are still going to hear all of the chaos going on down on the street all night.
That being said, I know that the club noise and the street noise is not the fault of the hotel. It's just something that is going to happen when you are staying in one of the most vibrant neighborhoods in the 3rd largest city in the US. I only mention it here in this review in case someone is choosing this hotel thinking that they are going to get a good night's sleep. It's not gonna happen, people...
If the loud, drunken nightlife is what you are after, then this place is good for you. If you are looking for a quiet, romantic get away, I would find somewhere else to stay.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
August 29, 2011
Report response as inappropriate
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay while visiting Chicago. It’s a pleasure to hear that you found our location and guest services useful during your stay. We value your feedback and appreciate the time you took to review the hotel for other travelers.
We are sincerely sorry for the noise levels that disrupted your sleep. While our location is certainly within one of Chicago’s most vibrant neighborhoods, it’s disappointing to hear that any guest of ours lost sleep. We are currently working with the city to rectify the noise from neighboring establishments and we truly regret to hear that any noise within the hotel was bothersome as well. We apologize for the loud volume of the wedding party and children in the hallway; please know that this is a unique situation and the hotel will continue to make a stronger effort in maintaining a more peaceful environment for our guests.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you again and assure you a more pleasant stay. Please contact me if you would like to further discuss the inconveniences of your visit.
Thank you again for choosing us during your trip to Chicago.
Guest Experience Director
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.