“little treasure in Big City” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Memphis, TN
“little treasure in Big City”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2011

Amalfi is a boutique hotel with 6 floors in the River North Area. Close to everything one needs. The staff is friendly, the rooms large and beds comfy. They have a continental breakfast that is served buffet style just outside the elevators on every floor. Fresh coffee, and baked good, cereal, milk and fruit and yogurt. Very convenient, especially since they provide bathrobes, so you can run to the breakfast and take it back to your room to enjoy.
However the best part is the happy hour every evening from 5:30 to 6:30 with FREE amalfitinis. The free wireless internet in the rooms is a plus. There are several very good restaurants in the area. we were here for part business and pleasure.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

The Amalfi Hotel is a very nice hotel in downtown Chicago, close to everything. As a frequent Chicago business traveler, who has stayed at many hotels in downtown Chicago, I would say that this is one of the best. Free internet (that works!), continental breakfast on each floor, gym, and restaurant on site. Would definitely come back. No complaints!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

Enjoyed a two night stay at the Amalfi in early August with family members. We arrived quite early and although not able to check into a room yet, we were able to store our luggage until we we returned later. The hotel called us when the room was ready. Slight hiccup with the reservation as our confirmation showed a much lower price than what was showing on the computer, however that was corrected to show what was on our reservation confirmation (so make sure that you bring your confirmation with you!).
The red line EL and the museum campus bus are only about a 5 minute walk from the hotel and are very convenient. We walked to Willis Tower and Navy Pier and both took about 20-25 minutes or so. On the walk to Navy Pier you cross over Michigan Avenue for some fantastic shopping on the magnificient mile! It is about a 10 minute walk to the Hard Rock Cafe and about a 5 minute walk to the Chicago Riverwalk. House of Blues is about a 1 minute walk from the hotel. There are a ton of restaurants, pharmacies, bars, starbucks and cafes all around. Harry Carry's is right across the street.
Cabs are plentiful, though pricey, and a welcome relief for a ride back to the hotel! Taxi from O'Hare to Amalfi was $45, from Museum of Science and Industry to Amalfi was $20 and from Hancock Observatory to Amalfi was $12. We bought 3 day passes for the CTA for $14 and used that to get around town as well. The pass was well worth it and can be used on the EL and on the busses.
Lou Malnati's pizza delivers to the Amalfi and eliminated an hour or more wait at their restaruant. Order early and request a set delivery time. They do not include any silverware or plates, so ask for paper products if you need it. We requested some plastic forks from the hotel and they were too busy to bring us any and would not let us come down to the front desk to pick them up ourselves!
The hotel breakfast had a great variety and was convenient being right on your floor. It is set up by the elevator and served coffee, tea, juices, bagels, donuts, breads, cereal, whole fruit, yogurt and string cheese. Being able to get your breakfast and bring back to your room was so nice.
The room was clean and contained the usual hotel stuff, including the $8 bottle of water! At least they marked the bottle with the price. There was a refrigerator/mini bar (that took a key) in the room but we did not open it for fear of being charged for something that we did not take, but may have moved or looked at. The hotel has computers and printers so that you can check on your flight and print out your boarding pass. Three of us had iPhones and we had no issues with the internet connection or speed. Newspapers are available in the lobby. Ask at the desk for maps and they will give you a ton of maps of the area and brochures on things to do in Chicago.
The bellman/doorman was super friendly and so helpful. He really made the stay at the hotel a great one. I would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2011

Best service and amenities of any hotel at which we have stayed. The staff is professional and friendly and helpful. Love Love Loved it!
Cocktail Reception from 5- 7 every night for guests and a great breakfast served on each floor.
Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I love this hotel its perfect for the city. The rooms are very comfortable very clean and the bathrooms are good sized. they have a happy hour on one of the floors, which is a nice touch. The breakfast bars are served on every floor in the morning and has more than just your typical frosted flakes in a box. Its a pretty central location and is perfect walking distance to some pretty great places.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I'm never shy about complaining or asking for a room change - so I was pleasantly surprised that the Amalfi Hotel offered more than expected. After a long Amtrak night, we appreciated the comfortable beds as well as the luxury of not hearing the guests in the next room flush the toilet. The breakfast offerings were substantial (unless you're the sausage gravy and biscuits type). The happy hour reception allowed us the opportunity to recharge. The staff was helpful - but not fawning. Even the windows were clean!
The hotel was centrally located to all the major attractions and close enough to public transit to venture beyond. This was our first trip to Chicago. We weren't surprised by the big city expense or the panhandlers - but we didn't know we'd find such friendly residents. More than once someone perceived we were confused tourists and offered directions. What is this - Pittsburgh?!
In addition to the don't-miss Art Institute and Museum of Contemporary Art, try swimming at Oak Street Beach, listening to the Blues at Rosa's Lounge, or taking in the archeological finds at the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago - followed by perusing the huge book collection at nearby Powell's Bookstore. So many things to do - so little time! We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Ft. Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011 via mobile

The room itself was fine and comfortable(very peaceful), but the customer service by the so-called, concierge or "experience something or the others" left much to be desired. First, I arrived and the doorman walked me to the desk. I was not greeted with the usual "Hello, welcome to...". Instead, I got, "Your name? ID?" No, "hello", no "welcome to the Amalfi Hotel," just plain old poor customer service from the very beginning! That left a very bad taste in my mouth, but I decided to let it go and see how the rest of my stay was.

The next day, I had some questions about suggestions on where to go to eat dinner. We were looking for any restaurant that was Chicago-based, not the usual chain hotel, and moderately priced. I went downstairs and was confused as to which one was the concierge, since in normal hotels, the concierge was separate from everyone else. But, at the Amalfi, there are two desks with hotel staff and by the door is the podium where the doorman stands. Well, I thought for sure the one at the podium was the actual concierge, due to the fact that anyone who stood there was always so pleasant and attentive. Just in case, I asked the ladies at the desk where I could find the concierge. They replied that they were! One of them was the lady who originally checked me in. So, I tried my luck with the other one, instead. I explained what I was looking for, in terms of restaurants, and lo and behold, she couldn't think of any restaurants to recommend to me! She said she lives on the South Side of Chicago, so she doesn't know the restaurants around there very well. Ummm, I'm thinking that if you are a concierge, then whether you live there or not, you'd still make it your business to know things like that! So, the other lady gave me a few names of restaurants, instead.

Then, I decided to order in one night and proceeded to call and ask for restaurants that delivered and I was told that I could order room service, which would come from a nearby restaurant. I did not have a menu in my room, so her solution was to read me the menu over the phone, line by line! After much annoyance, I asked them to send someone up with the menu, which she seemed annoyed to have to do!

Also, I noticed when we would go out for the day and come back, they would never say, "Good morning" or "Good Evening" when they saw us. That's what I am accustomed to at other hotels. My friend was so annoyed by this that one evening she passed by and then turned around and pleasantly said, "Good evening!" The response was a confused "Good evening," as if they were wondering why she said it!

The other employees were quite pleasant, especially the doormen! They always greeted you warmly and asked you how your day was going!

Housekeeping was ok, but after I left the room one day, I had to return because I forgot something. When I got back to the room the housekeeping cart was holding the door open, but the maid was not in the room! So, anyone could have gone in our room and stolen something.

The continental breakfast was fine and I liked that it was on every floor.

The wireless service was awful!!!!! My iPhone would not work properly the entire time I was there. Once I left the hotel, it was better!

The manager ended up calling me(bill issues) and we spoke about the customer service at her hotel. She apologized for her staff, but failed to offer a reduction in the bill! $20 off would have been a good gesture.

Two weeks later, management was still calling me regarding the conclusions I'd made regarding their employees. I was annoyed that it seemed as if the 2nd manager that called wanted me to change my mind! After 2 weeks, one two many phone calls, & much aggravation, management decided to credit my room for one night, split between my friend & me! Funny how they managed to do that, but never fixed the original discrepancy! I had to mail my friend a check for my half of the room, since they charged her for the entire amount & never fixed it, even after all those phone calls! (sigh)

Maybe it's because I am from Florida, which is a state that caters to tourists, that I am used to a higher level of service. That being said, I have traveled all over the world, as far as Japan and Ghana, and have received better service!

Overall, there are many hotels in the downtown area, so don't waste your money on this one!

• Stayed July 2011
jangulo, General Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Amalfi Hotel. In response to your review on TripAdvisor, I want to sincerely apologize for not upholding the level of service you expected. Clearly, your recent experience was not in keeping with our service standards.

We truly appreciate your feedback and please know that we take all guest feedback seriously. We are using your feedback to train our associates to ensure we extend a high level of service at every given opportunity.

Brian Cooney

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!