“Fantastic - beyond our expectations!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kinzie Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kinzie Hotel to your Saves list
Kinzie Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   20 W Kinzie St, Chicago, IL 60654 (Formerly Amalfi Hotel Chicago) (Near North Side)   |
Offers & Announcements
Book Now & Save!
Ranked #17 of 168 hotels in Chicago
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Fantastic - beyond our expectations!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

I'm never shy about complaining or asking for a room change - so I was pleasantly surprised that the Amalfi Hotel offered more than expected. After a long Amtrak night, we appreciated the comfortable beds as well as the luxury of not hearing the guests in the next room flush the toilet. The breakfast offerings were substantial (unless you're the sausage gravy and biscuits type). The happy hour reception allowed us the opportunity to recharge. The staff was helpful - but not fawning. Even the windows were clean!
The hotel was centrally located to all the major attractions and close enough to public transit to venture beyond. This was our first trip to Chicago. We weren't surprised by the big city expense or the panhandlers - but we didn't know we'd find such friendly residents. More than once someone perceived we were confused tourists and offered directions. What is this - Pittsburgh?!
In addition to the don't-miss Art Institute and Museum of Contemporary Art, try swimming at Oak Street Beach, listening to the Blues at Rosa's Lounge, or taking in the archeological finds at the Oriental Institute at the University of Chicago - followed by perusing the huge book collection at nearby Powell's Bookstore. So many things to do - so little time! We'll be back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

1,459 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Polish first
Ft. Lauderdale
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011 via mobile

The room itself was fine and comfortable(very peaceful), but the customer service by the so-called, concierge or "experience something or the others" left much to be desired. First, I arrived and the doorman walked me to the desk. I was not greeted with the usual "Hello, welcome to...". Instead, I got, "Your name? ID?" No, "hello", no "welcome to the Amalfi Hotel," just plain old poor customer service from the very beginning! That left a very bad taste in my mouth, but I decided to let it go and see how the rest of my stay was.

The next day, I had some questions about suggestions on where to go to eat dinner. We were looking for any restaurant that was Chicago-based, not the usual chain hotel, and moderately priced. I went downstairs and was confused as to which one was the concierge, since in normal hotels, the concierge was separate from everyone else. But, at the Amalfi, there are two desks with hotel staff and by the door is the podium where the doorman stands. Well, I thought for sure the one at the podium was the actual concierge, due to the fact that anyone who stood there was always so pleasant and attentive. Just in case, I asked the ladies at the desk where I could find the concierge. They replied that they were! One of them was the lady who originally checked me in. So, I tried my luck with the other one, instead. I explained what I was looking for, in terms of restaurants, and lo and behold, she couldn't think of any restaurants to recommend to me! She said she lives on the South Side of Chicago, so she doesn't know the restaurants around there very well. Ummm, I'm thinking that if you are a concierge, then whether you live there or not, you'd still make it your business to know things like that! So, the other lady gave me a few names of restaurants, instead.

Then, I decided to order in one night and proceeded to call and ask for restaurants that delivered and I was told that I could order room service, which would come from a nearby restaurant. I did not have a menu in my room, so her solution was to read me the menu over the phone, line by line! After much annoyance, I asked them to send someone up with the menu, which she seemed annoyed to have to do!

Also, I noticed when we would go out for the day and come back, they would never say, "Good morning" or "Good Evening" when they saw us. That's what I am accustomed to at other hotels. My friend was so annoyed by this that one evening she passed by and then turned around and pleasantly said, "Good evening!" The response was a confused "Good evening," as if they were wondering why she said it!

The other employees were quite pleasant, especially the doormen! They always greeted you warmly and asked you how your day was going!

Housekeeping was ok, but after I left the room one day, I had to return because I forgot something. When I got back to the room the housekeeping cart was holding the door open, but the maid was not in the room! So, anyone could have gone in our room and stolen something.

The continental breakfast was fine and I liked that it was on every floor.

The wireless service was awful!!!!! My iPhone would not work properly the entire time I was there. Once I left the hotel, it was better!

The manager ended up calling me(bill issues) and we spoke about the customer service at her hotel. She apologized for her staff, but failed to offer a reduction in the bill! $20 off would have been a good gesture.

Two weeks later, management was still calling me regarding the conclusions I'd made regarding their employees. I was annoyed that it seemed as if the 2nd manager that called wanted me to change my mind! After 2 weeks, one two many phone calls, & much aggravation, management decided to credit my room for one night, split between my friend & me! Funny how they managed to do that, but never fixed the original discrepancy! I had to mail my friend a check for my half of the room, since they charged her for the entire amount & never fixed it, even after all those phone calls! (sigh)

Maybe it's because I am from Florida, which is a state that caters to tourists, that I am used to a higher level of service. That being said, I have traveled all over the world, as far as Japan and Ghana, and have received better service!

Overall, there are many hotels in the downtown area, so don't waste your money on this one!

• Stayed July 2011
jangulo, General Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Amalfi Hotel. In response to your review on TripAdvisor, I want to sincerely apologize for not upholding the level of service you expected. Clearly, your recent experience was not in keeping with our service standards.

We truly appreciate your feedback and please know that we take all guest feedback seriously. We are using your feedback to train our associates to ensure we extend a high level of service at every given opportunity.

Brian Cooney
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We stayed at this hotel last weekend and we really enjoyed it. The room was very nice, quite spacious for a boutique hotel and nicely decorated. It is also quiet and very clean. The bed is a king sized bed, quit comfortable, the bed linens are luxurious, but the mattress is not as comfortable “movement” wise as a pocket sprung mattress or a memory foam. The staff was great and everything we asked for (room with a view etc.) we got it. The view of the Chicago skyscrapers was amazing. The hotel is very well situated, close to all major attraction and restaurants; we didn’t have to use public transportation. The breakfast is “international” style, basic, but with a good selection and served on each floor. There is free cocktail and appetizers in the evening – quit a nice concept that made us feel like in an all inclusive resort. The parking is a bit expensive and it is valet only. You have to give a 10-15 minutes notice to get your car. We definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Quebec City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Since I was traveling with my three-year-old grandson, the Amalfi made our 6-day stay easy:
(1) the hotel was central so we could come back for afternoon naps;
(2) breakfast was served on every floor so he could eat before taking off for the morning;
(3) buses to the zoo, Navy Pier and other attractions were only a block or two away;
(4) Internet access was free.
But above and beyond "easy", the Amalfi staff made our stay a great experience. Every hotel employee, from front desk team to maids to the guys at the reception, was warm, friendly and welcoming. They made the hotel feel like home way from home.
Definitely will return.

Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I love the Amalfi. The staff is so friendly and helpful. The rooms are comfortable and include everything you might need. I love that the bathrooms have magnifying mirriors and a nice bench to sit on when applying your makeup or doing your hair. The free cocktail hour is fantastic. Their signature Amalifitini is the best drink ever. The breakfast on each floor is nice too. It is close to both Michigan Ave and State St shopping and there is plenty of nightlife around the corner. I will not be staying anywhere else when I'm in Chicago.

Abu Dhabi
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

I recently stayed at the Amalfi with my wife and 11 year old daughter. It was a good choice for number of reasons. The location near the Chicago River and the Loop is great. The hotel is close to river cruises, a free shuttle to the Navy Pier, great shopping and some great restaurants (Harry Caray's is across the street). The House of Blues is 1/2 a block away. And the hotel itself has free wi-fi, very helpful in figuring out daily travel plans.

However, all was not perfect. The lobby is miniscule, so there is no where to hang out on the property if you aren't in your room. The included continental breakfast was handy, but foraging from floor to floor looking for an elusive yogurt or banana bread (there is food provided outside each floors elevator) with other hotel guests seemed a little wierd. A dedicated concierge didn't exist here, leaving the doormen and reception to advise on the city. They weren't reliably accurate, though they tried. The last comment would need to be about the location. The sidewalk surrounding the hotel block is narrow and broken up and the building across the street is under construction.

Overall we enjoyed our time at the Amalfi, but after several nights were certainly ready to stay somewhere else.

Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

If you go to Chicago and you want to stay in the middle of everything, in a stylish small hotel, without spending a fortune, this is the place.
Helpful, courteous staff, free Internet, free breakfast (although the coissants are not very good) and free drinks and snacks from 5:30 to 7:00 PM.
Room is nicely decorated although small for North American standard.
So, even it is a small hotel, no bar, no restaurant, no swimming pool...it is a very good value !

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
AmalfiHotelChicago, Guest Relations Manager at Kinzie Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear Guest,

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay at The Amalfi. Our location really is central within the city and we’re glad that you appreciated it as well! As a boutique hotel, we love to serve our guests with a unique and memorable experience. We deeply regret hearing that you weren’t notified of Keefers, within the building, as a restaurant and bar option. The bar is open until about 11pm nightly.

When booking your next visit, please contact us so that we can make sure to accommodate you with a larger room. We have a very small handful of those slightly smaller rooms; the rest of our guest rooms are actually larger than standard Chicago hotel rooms. Additionally, we offer upgrades to both our Suites and Deluxe Kings for $10 and $100-$200, respectively. We look forward to welcoming you next time with a more spacious setup.

Again thanks for choosing the Amalfi and for contributing to our reviews. It is always rewarding to hear positive reviews from our fantastic guests and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Kindly,
Melissa Driza
Guest Experience Manager

Been to Kinzie Hotel? Share your experiences!