“Best Stay EVER...handed a Gibson Guitar at check-in to play during my stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

You added Hard Rock Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Ranked #90 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Birmingham, MI
“Best Stay EVER...handed a Gibson Guitar at check-in to play during my stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

If the question is "Do you get rock star treatment at the Hard Rock Hotel?" the answer is an absolute yes.

Upon checking in, I was asked if I'd like a Gibson Guitar to play during my stay...I then got to choose from a wide variety of all styles of Gibsons, settling on one I've always dreamed of owning (ES-335) and had it delivered to my room free of charge to play during my stay. It arrived with a small effects amp and a pair of headphones.

In addition to the coolest perk of any hotel that I've stayed with, the service was excellent at the front desk, the bar, the gift shop and throughout my stay.

The Hard Rock more than lived up to its name.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

So I am writing this from the hotel - 1st time for this...have used Trip Advisor many times and truely believe in the reviews (unfortunately for us we didn't look at the reviews for this one!). Can say I have never had the urge to write a review from the hotel itself before so much and say AVOID! It is a great location but that is it!

There are many other hotels in the area that also offer a great location and a better room/service for less than you will pay here. We have been in Chicago many times and have stayed at other locations in the downtown core...we were swayed by the pics and also by the "Hard Rock" name - our fault but please do not beleive the pics on their website - they have been taken long before the current condition of this hotel.

In our room we counted at least 45+ cigarettes burns in the carpet and at least a few in the furinture, numerous drink stainds on all surfaces...so like a wild party happened last night and they cleaned up the bottles and broken glass but that is all! The hotel service of your room is sketchy at best. You would do well to select another hotel in the area that will offer the same great location with much better service/quality at the same price or probably less!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
HardRockMGR, General Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
The Hard Rock Hotel Chicago would like to thank this guest for sharing their experience in our hotel so we can address their concerns for future visitors.

We extend our sincere apologies to this guest for having been assigned a room that should have been put out of service (presumably after some wild parties over Lollapalooza weekend). We most certainly would have offered to switch them to a more suitable accommodation had they come to us while on property with their concerns. We believe this room was placed “out of service” originally, but due to a computer error was erroneously put back in service for the front desk to assign.

We are excited to announce that full room renovations for our hotel are scheduled for 2010, and we have completed two sample rooms showcasing the new features. Additionally, we now feature 40-inch flat-screen HD televisions and iPod docking stations in all of our guestrooms as of July of 2009.

John Price
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

The location is outstanding, and my room was roomy with very nice bedding and kind of sleek, sexy look about it. But I also had a dusty bathroom and several knicks in the walls that could have easily been fixed. When I checked in the staff had a weird sort of snottiness about them that bugged me, but check-out was great, and the kitchen staff seemed very responsive. Oddly, the matzo ball soup has no matzo balls in it. Still tasty though. The free wi-fi and free printing is great for business travellers, but there are other hotels in the area that are nicer for the same money.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Cape Town
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2009

Great location, cannot fault it. Love the reception area, looks very smart. We were upgraded to a much nicer suite on arrival but it was noisy and too near the elevator which was a pity as it was really a swanky suite.

We politely asked to be moved immediately but I was not impressed with the customer service at the front desk. His response to our request was awful and he certainly needs training in customer service. Our room was changed the following day and we accepted the 3rd choice which was on a much lower floor but it was quiet. (Stay away from floors 26 - 28 tower part of the hotel due to the elevator noise) further dealings with the front desk staff the following day was not satisfactory either i.e. their attitude.

The concierge on the other hand was great and very helpful.

The rooms were good, smart & amenities were excellent. I loved the Aveda products in the bathrooms. There was some wear and tear in the rooms and some areas need to be refurbished, which may be happening as we had a brand new 42inch plasma delivered to our room.

I used the gym and it was very good. Overall I would say we had a pleasant experience and recommend it.

Gainesville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

Maybe my room was newly renovated, because it doesn't match the description of many of the reviews here. The room was bright, big, modern, and well decorated. I did pay an extra $20 for a "select" room. Maybe that's the difference. The corner room had four big windows which opened slightly and a great view of the river. A plasma TV sat on a very modern console. The bed and pillows were so comfortable, my wife wanted to buy one of the pillows. You can easily walk to the Chicago Art Institute, the "bean", and many other points of interest. WHen we asked the concierge for a recommendation for a nice place for a casual lunch and beer, he gave us a coupon for a free appetizer at the Emerald Loop Irish Pub, just blocks away. The food was so good, we ate there again the next day!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

You couldn't ask for more in a location for a hotel. We were able to get the rate of 189 so for the price and the half priced parking, it was a steal. I am not sure I would've paid any more than that for the hotel. We mainly paid for the location. It is walking distance from "the bean" and from all the shopping on Mag Mile and Water tower. If you needed a walgreens or cvs, there was one on every corner. The room itself is definitely older. I was expecting at least the tv to be updated. Room service is extremely over priced. We paid 70 dollars for two breakfasts, and a pot of coffee...if it wasn't supposed to be a romantic get a way I would've suggested to go to a coffee shop down the street. Check in was very easy along with valet parking. The staff was very helpful.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

Location is on North Michigan Ave between Millenium Park and Magnificant Mile. We are from New York City so it was like staying near Rock Center and 5th Avenue. Hotel is clean, staff is nice and there is a good bar scene. Skip the breakfast at China Grill in the mornings - it's nothing special and over priced and instead go to the Corner Street Bakery Cafe around the corner for better selection and price.
Drinks at the lobby bar are better than at China Grill but still pricey.

BEWARE of the mini-bar: it is weight sensored so don't try taking stuff out to put your own (less expensive) bottled water. It automatically charges the room if you take something out for more than 60 seconds. We had 2 $8.00 charges for bottled water that we didn't drink. The hotel glady reveresed the charge though.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!