“Fantastic room and service” 5 of 5 stars

Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601   |
Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic room and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Huge room on corner of building overlooking the start of the Magnificent Mile, great service during stay, supplied with fridge and microwave without asking, also free wifi throughout hotel.
Reception staff were extremely helpful and strived to provide a great experience during our stay
Highly recommended hotel in a great position for shops, magnificent mile, sights and park, 5 minute walk from the 'bean'.
Rooms are complete with 42" TV with sound system and ipod dock alarm, air-con huge bed and chaise longue, and swivel arm chair, and of course a desk, lots of power points too !

Room Tip: ask for a corner room with a view of the magnificent mile ! - rooms ending in 04
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share such outstanding feedback with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your spacious room overlooking the Magnificent Mile, highly attentive service from our staff and central location in close proximity to downtown's hottest restaurants, shops and local attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time your travels bring you to Chicago. Thanks again for the review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Polish first
Duluth, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I stayed here for a conference. I was able to easily get to the Magnificent Mile from the hotel and see some of the interesting architecture in the area. The food at the facility was good, and every staff person I dealt with was very pleasant and helpful. I enjoyed seeing the rocker memorabilia on the different floors. The bed was comfortable. For me, drawbacks were the room quality (chipped, dinged veneer on desk and dresser) and room cleanliness (corners and windowsills hadn't been cleaned in a while). Lots to see in the area; I felt safe except for one wrong turn I took, about two blocks behind the hotel. I bought bottled water, soda, and snacks from the Walgreen's next door, due to the high prices at the hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing this review on your most recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our central location on the base of the Magnificent Mile, music memorabilia on every floor and highly attentive and personalized service from our staff. Please accept our sincerest apologies that the room quality and cleanliness did not meet your expectations. We hope to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you downtown so we can really WOW you in these areas. Thanks again for your review!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

This is an awful hotel for its price. Rooms are dingy. The lobby is ice cold and blaring with horrible music 24/7. The internet is not free. It really feels like a 3 star hotel. The location is not bad.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

Thank you for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback on your stay with us. While we're happy to hear that you enjoyed our central Michigan Avenue location, it sounds like our musically-inspired atmosphere is not your style. As a note of disclosure, we do offer free WiFi for guests who book their reservations directly through our website through a program we call "Wi-the-Fi-Not." Thanks again for your review!
Chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

I paid full price for a "Platinum" level room. I was with the SHRM Conference. I was only able to reserve one night at the SHRM rate. I was left in the same room, however I really didn't feel my room was a platinum level. It had 2 chairs and a small table that my co-worker did not have. The room was slightly bigger, but that was because it was a room accomodated for disabled. That's why I don't feel I really got a platinum room. There were two peep holes, one lower for the disabled. The shower had no door at all therefore it was a little chilly when showering. The extra room in the dressing area and room were most likely due to accomodate a disabled guest. There wss one day I did not get any extra shampoo / liquid bath soap and ran out. There was very little room to place your toiletries in the bath room. I had to move the hand towels to the window. The speaker on the TV was not working adequately. The bed corners were hard and you could feel them when you sat on it. The curtains were partially torn. It was totally disappointing and certainly not what I expected from the Hard Rock. Although I did not book all 3 nights through SHRM when I made the reservation I explained to the agent why I was booking directly. I did not get the SHRM flyers delivered to my room for the two nights I booked myself.

I rarely complain about a hotel room but at $350 a night, this was ridiculous.

Review collected in partnership with Hard Rock Hotels & Casinos

First and foremost, thanks so much for taking the time to share this feedback on your recent stay at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago. Please accept our sincerest apologies that the room size and layout were not to your liking; as a note of disclosure, our platinum king and two-queen rooms have approximately 500 square feet. We are sorry that we were not able to deliver an authentic experience that rocked and hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to earn your brand loyalty. Thanks again for the review!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel on Michigan Ave. in Chicago. It was a very convenient location because it was central to several attractions in the city (including the ones offered in the CityPass). After checking in, my boyfriend and I noticed that where the elevators were located behind a wall from the front desk, there were doors that led right to the street that had no security. You could not see these doors from the lobby and there weren't any security or hotel staff in the vicinity of those doors. I had thought to myself that it might be okay if they locked those doors at night. There was also no security in the elevators as some hotels need you to enter a room key in order for the elevators to move. On my last night staying there, around 2 am, a strange man banged on my door really loudly and knew my first name violently yelling for me to open the door. No reasoning for opening the door but knew my name. We called front desk after the banging stopped (approx. 5 mins) and asked them to send security up to check and stated that people were banging on doors. We heard these men run across the hallway and bang on another room's door screaming another name. In the morning, while checking out, the lady at the front desk didn't ask how our stay was so we decided to email them when we got back home. After emailing the hotel about the occurrence that happened and said we felt information was compromised, we got a response of "Are you sure you didn't tell people your name?" and "Why wasn't a complaint made about this? I don't see anything logged." Is calling front desk asking for security immediately because people are banging on doors at 2 am not a complaint? I responded to the questions and never heard back from them again. This hotel does not have security at all and does not care about the safety of guests! I would not suggest this hotel to anybody!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to share this valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us; we only wish you had enjoyed a more positive guest experience. We are deeply disturbed by the incident you encountered and have consulted our Loss and Prevention Manager; unfortunately, he has no record of this incident. Please send all email correspondence you've had up until this point to email@hardrockhotelchicago.com so that we can better address this situation and investigate this matter internally. Thanks again for taking the time to post this review and please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences you encountered during your stay with us.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Hard Rock Chicago was centrally located which made it quick and easy to access Millenium Park, Magnificent Mile, State Street shopping, the architectural boat tour (highly recommended!), and bars and restaurants (Giordano's is just a block away!). Other than the location, Hard Rock didn't have much going for it. Although the style of the hotel is quite cool, the rooms seem very dated and need some renovation. Even just a simple coat of paint would've made our room feel less dated. Don't take anything out of the mini-fridge, even if you just want to make room for a bottle of water to keep it cold, becuase you'll get charged for it!!! Good luck trying to use the free wifi in the lobby. It rarely worked. Starbucks down the street is your best bet. I'm surprised in this day and age they even still charge for wifi. One of the concierge guys provided great suggestions and another one not so much. There were two recommendations we took from the latter concierge and we were disappointed. For the price, I think there are nicer hotels with just as central a location. I don't think I'd stay at Hard Rock again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
First and foremost, thank you for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to post this review. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our central Michigan Avenue location in close proximity to Millennium Park, the Magnificent Mile and State Street shopping. We sincerely appreciate your feedback with regards to the mini bar and Wifi and apologize for any inconveniences they caused you during your stay with us. We hope you will consider giving us another opportunity to earn your brand confidence. Thanks again for the review!
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Great location! Even got to get in on a small concert by India Arie in the lobby bar area one night! That was worth the stay in of itself! Probably can't have that experience at Motel 6! :-) The front desk and concierge staff were excellent with directions, suggestions, etc. Getting there to and from O'Hare was easy on the train!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share this rave review on your most recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel Chicago! We're thrilled to hear you think so highly of the property and that you were able to attend the private India Arie event we hosted in celebration of her "Songversation" album release - she certainly put on a wonderful performance! Please keep us in mind the next time your travels bring you to Chicago. Thanks again for the review!

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!