“Had a blast!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #83 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Manhattan, Illinois
“Had a blast!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I decided to have a staycation with another couple from the area (we don't live far from Chicago), and we picked this place due to a Groupon deal it was promoting. Check-in was a breeze, and our rooms were super cool. We were in a corner king suite, which overlooked Michigan Avenue to the North and East. We could also see Lake Michigan!

We really enjoyed our stay. We definitely made it a frugal one - we parked in a different overnight garage to not pay the $50 fee the hotel has. We also ate all of our meals out. (Everything on their menu is really pricey.) Be aware that in the king rooms there's a big window in the bathroom that makes showers very drafty! We really enjoyed the amenities included though (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bar soap, shower cap, vanity kit, sewing kit, hair dryer, makeup mirror, etc).

Our only complaint was the sheets on the bed. I swear they're made out of something with plastic in them. They felt really rough and scratchy and they did not breathe at all. Woke up several times in a sweat! it was a top sheet and a thin comforter and I was in a total sweat because the blankets did not breathe! Our friends had the same problem with their sheets in their room, so I'm sad to say it wasn't just a fluke isolated to our room. Seems the sheets are just really scratchy everywhere.

Just be aware of the scratchy sheets! It's such a neat place with a very cool, moody atmosphere. Haven't been to a hotel like it before. Would love to go back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Wow! Thanks so much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago for your recent "staycation." Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed the city views from your corner King suite and the in-room amenities offered to our guests. We are disappointed to hear that the sheets weren't to your liking and apologize for any discomfort they might have caused during your stay with us. We hope you will keep us in mind the next time you decide to schedule another "staycation" in this great city of ours! Thanks again for taking the time to post this positive review!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for one night during the weekend as we went downtown from the suburbs for Restaurant Week. The location is very convenient, just a short walk from the shops on Michigan Avenue and a five minute taxi to plenty of other spots downtown.

The staff was pleasant and helpful. The lobby and restaurant areas are very nice, trendy etc. Our room, though, was just mediocre. There was mildew in the shower. Things were generally unkempt, with a dirty table and everything on the walls- light fixture, pictures- was all crooked. I guess somebody partied hard the night before... The largest detractor though, was the noise. I expect some street noise being the city. However, we were on the 14th floor and there must have been a fan or vent right outside our window because consistently every 20 minutes there was the loudest thumping/popping sound. It was extremely annoying.

My advice, if you can get a good deal, it's worth the stay. Otherwise, at regular rates, there are better hotels downtown more worth your time and money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to pass along your feedback to us. We're happy to hear that you enjoyed our friendly, helpful staff and convenient downtown location on the base of the Magnificent Mile. However, we're incredibly disappointed to hear that you encountered issues with the noise and cleanliness of your room. We take your comments very seriously and do sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay. Thanks again for the feedback!
Bartlett
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We checked into the Hard Rock Hotel, which is situated directly on Michigan Ave just steps away from the Chicago River. It's a perfect location to start out your day or night. The hotel staff was phenomenal, and the accomodations couldn't have been better. Our room was spacious and when we walked in we got the impression that we were the first ones to ever stay in it. Modern, clean and a perfect 10

Room Tip: We had a room over looking Michigan Ave and the River. Couldn't beat it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
A perfect 10 - music to our ears! Thanks so much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to give us a little love with your awesome review, Don. We're excited to hear that you enjoyed our ideal Michigan Avenue location and our staff was able to provide outstanding service to you during your stay with us. We would be thrilled to welcome you back to our digs the next time your travels bring you back to Chicago. Thanks again, Don!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Front desk staff was terrible. After a late night went to check in - before they handed my room key to me the staff asked if I had a problem with them. I said no, they replied they don't like the look on my face. Sorry but Hard Rock boasts a party atmosphere and after a long night of that maybe I didn't have my best face on, but to try to start trouble with me at the front desk was terrible. Frankly it was a little scarry to stay there after their comments. Next morning at check out the front desk staff provided me no reciept nor told me what my total for the stay was, they just said - ok just room plus tax you're good, you can go. Thanks Hard Rock... well I'm gone and never comming back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
George, thank you very much for taking the time to post this review and inform us of the negative experience you encountered with our front desk team during your recent stay with us. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the treatment you received; it's very uncharacteristic for our staff to treat our guests in this manner and we will be addressing this internally. Please contact us directly if you would like to discuss in further detail: info@hardrockhotelchicago.com. We take your comments very seriously and do appreciate your feedback. Thanks again!
North Little Rock, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

This was an excellent place to stay. Only 2 blocks south of the Magnificent Mile of shopping. Centrally located to everything. I walked all over the town from here with no problem. El Trains and Subway were around the corner 2-5 blocks. Bus stop across the street. Hotel staff was very helpful and courteous. I stayed in a standard room, and it was fine. Had about a 36" lcd tv with remote, Keurig coffee maker with decaf and regular coffee, and tea. Hair Dryer (1750 Watts) and lighted makeup mirror in bathroom. 4 pillows on bed, and 2 decorative pillows. Extra pillow and large blanket in closet. In-room Safe Deposit Box. It only costs me $10 for a refrigerator in my room for 8 nights. They brought it right after I checked in. Internet is a little outrageous, and I think it should be available 24 hours after you pay, instead, it goes off at midnight. It was $13.50 just for standard internet. A faster line was $18.50. Also, if you bought the internet, you couldn't connect to it with your smartphone without being charged the same charge again. I called front desk, and they said it cost that per device. If I ever needed more coffee, I would just go down to the front desk and they would give it to me. The concierges on each shift were very helpful. They would make any dinner reservations or give directions. They told me how to get to the pedway to walk underground out of the cold. I would have never known about this. If you ride the blue line or orange line from the airports to the loop downtown, then you can walk about 5 blocks and be at the hotel. There's a Walgreens and CVC Pharmacy across the street. They have food and drinks, and most items that you would like. There was full-fledged grocery store probably about 1/2 mile away, which only took me about 10 minutes to walk to called Dominick's. I even walked to the Navy Pier and all the other places. Milleneum Park was just 3 blocks south of the hotel. That's where you will find "The Bean", the ice-skating rink, and the Art Institute of Chicago. Everything was pretty quiet in the hotel, except the last night, some girl screamed down the hall but she disappeared quickly after that. Ice makers are on floors 2-22 I believe. I had a beautiful view from my room on the 23rd floor. I could even see the Chicago River. Eating places are all around that area, and even on the premises. I was pleasantly surprised to find a chilled bottle of Champagne waiting for me when I arrived. I thought that was very kind of them to do that. I've never gotten that anywhere else I've been. They were just overall wonderful. I would definitely stay there again. I hate it they don't have a swimming pool or hot tub, but they do have a pretty nice gym with towels, water, and tv.

Room Tip: I had a king size bed in my room, but I had ample space.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thanks so much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to post such a thorough and outstanding review on your stay with us. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed our central location on the base of the Magnificent Mile, helpful and courteous staff, beautiful city views and in-room amenities. As a quick note of disclosure, WiFi is available at no charge for those guests who book reservations directly online with us through our website. Please keep that in mind the next time you stay with us - we certainly hope to see you soon and can't wait to welcome you back! Thanks again for providing us your positive feedback.
Aurora, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Hotel is top notch all the way around. From the time you pull up bell hop is right there w valet. Check in is a breeze. The rooms are really unique with the different rock photos. Each floor is a different theme. Its right near the Chicago theatre and on Michigan Ave. Rooms are not soundproof so you will hear your neighbors late night fun or the drunk couple talking in the hallway at 2 a.m. Other than that pretty good hotel for the money.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Thank you for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago during your recent trip to the Windy City. We are beyond excited to hear that you received rock star treatment from our friendly and outgoing team, particularly our bellmen and front desk staff. It sounds like you enjoyed a unique and authentic experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you and your family back to our digs anytime. Thanks so much for taking the time to share this incredible feedback with us!
Rockford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Great hotel. Perfect hotel location for the magnificent mile. On the river, close to everything. Scott Thompson and Ben Brady at the concierge desk made it great with their advice for restaurants and things to do. The in house bar was fun, and it was 1 block from the train station at Millenium Park. When we go back, this is where we will stay.

Room Tip: ask for the city view-sometimes no extra charge
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Wow! Thanks so much for staying at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago during your recent trip to the Windy City. It sounds like you enjoyed an authentic experience with us and we certainly appreciate your positive feedback regarding our awesome Michigan Avenue location and friendly, helpful staff. We're thrilled to pass along your comments to Scott and Ben (they rock!) and we look forward to seeing you back at our digs very soon. Thanks again!

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!