“Great staff, but everything else is overrated” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hard Rock Hotel Chicago

You added Hard Rock Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601 (Downtown / The Loop)   |
Ranked #90 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Chandigarh
“Great staff, but everything else is overrated”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Good news:

- Very nice and helpful staff who called me by name. Very impressive.
- Business center was the best I have seen. Very comfortable and very good quality printer.
- Exercise area was amazing. I had a great workout.
- Very nice view from the higher floors. I hated to close the drapes at night.
-They actually put magazines in the room... that contain interesting articles! Not the usual rag promoting dull local sites of interest.
- A real Keurig coffee maker in the room. A noticable step up from the brewer.

Bad news:

- food is overpriced and terrible
- leaking faucets and toilets that don't flush very well
- The telephone, internet cable and lamp are stapled to the desk and unmovable. When you try to move the lamp, the whole desk jumps, which jostles the minibar, which in turn charges you for any item that moves. Same goes if you nudge the minibar while opening the drapes in the morning. I would have to say that the overall feeling I got was a real focus on trying to charge you as much as possible which made me uncomfortable
- housekeeping is fairly ineffective. I had to wait until the 3rd night to get a pen, pad of paper, extra washcloth, etc.
-the whole "rock and roll" experience really came off tacky and pretentious at the same time. Maybe it would be different if I was there for a music festival and meeting with musicians. But to a normal person in town, it really just looked like some loser's childhood basement fantasy.

Overall:

Acceptable. But there are a lot of hotels around the same price and I walked around in several of them while I was in town. So to be honest, if I return to Chicago I am fairly sure I will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I didn't get a good room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide such candid and thorough feedback on your most recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel Chicago! We're thrilled to hear that you received highly personalized attention from our staff and that you enjoyed several of our amenities: business center, gym, Keurig coffee makers and magazines. We wish you had encountered a more positive dining experience at one of our outlets and we do apologize for any frustration caused by the mini bar. Thanks again and we hope to see you again the next time your travels - business or pleasure - bring you to Chicago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Located in the Carbide & Carbon Building on bustling Michigan Ave, the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago is wonderfully suited for music lovers and travelers who are exploring Chicago's downtown core. Here are a few reasons I would gladly return to the Hard Rock Hotel:

1. Its LOCATION -- Michigan Ave is central to Chicago's most notable attractions. It made for an, approximately, $40 cab ride from O'Hare airport.The hotel is also situated directly across the street from the metro and underground pedestrian walkway (The Pedway) which was very convenient on rainy days and sub zero celcius weather -- both of which we experienced in the same week.

2. A spacious BEDROOM with a pillow-top matress, blackout curtains and an additional speaker attached to the TV for excellent sound quality. I admired the room's music themed decor. In fact, each floor of the hotel features captivating artwork and artifacts from some of music's most renown artists.

3. The exceptional CUSTOMER SERVICE from all of the staff -- with an honourable mention to our concierge, Sheila, who went out of her way to assure we got the most out of our Chicago visit.

4. Convenient IN-ROOM WIFI with decent signal strength. We were treated to complimentary Internet during our week-long stay.

5. Complimentary MUSIC DOWNLOADS from music.hardrockhotels.com.
I should mention the fantastic tracks (of all music genres) that could be heard throughout the lobby and entrance of the hotel, around the clock.

6. Loaner FENDER GUITARS available for use upon request!
There is also a television channel devoted to beginner guitar lessons.

7. Complimentary COFFEE available in the lobby every morning (...which was just as great as the $4 coffee offered in the adjacent restaurant). A Keurig coffee/tea maker is also available in guest bedrooms.

8. Two RESTAURANTS are connected to the hotel -- bassist Pete Wentz's "Angels & Kings" and the chic "Chuck's Manufacturing" restaurant.

If there is any room for improvement for this hotel, it is only in this fine detail:
I may be among the few guests who choose to take the stairs instead of the elevator when going between one or two floors. I must say, I found it a bit off-putting to find see a collection of cigarette butts on nearly every floor of the stairwell -- especially in a building that claims to be "smoke free".

But, this small flaw certainly wouldn't stop us from returning or recommending this hotel.
I eagerly look forward to our next stay in Chicago.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Wow, wow, wow! The first phrase that springs to mind when reading this review is "WOW." Thanks so much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to post such a thorough and positive review on your stay with us. It sounds like we were able to deliver an authentic experience through our ideal Michigan Avenue location, spacious rooms, WiFi, music download and Fender picks programs, complimentary Keurig coffee makers and unique restaurant offerings. Thank you for pointing out the improvement opportunity - we assure you that our hotel is entirely smoke-free and will be sure to keep an eye out for these incidents in the future. We eagerly await your return to our digs - thanks again!
Maricopa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Great downtown location. The meeting room facilities, staff and accommodations helped warm up the 8 degree temps outside. The Manufactures is a great place to grab a bite a drink and watch some football.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to share your outstanding (and certainly appreciated) feedback with us. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our Michigan Avenue location, meeting room facilities, staff and overall accommodations. We're also happy to hear that you enjoyed our vibrant, newly opened dining and cocktail destination, Chuck's Manufacturing. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!
Lemont, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago for the first time on January 19th & 20th and was truely Impressed and can not wait to stay there again. At the time of check in I found out I was getting an Upgrade because I was a Hard Rock Rewards VIP Member which made things even better knowing I was getting a much more expensive room for the promotional price of only $ 89.00. The rooms were very spacious and the view up Michigan Ave was truely Amazing. As a Hard Rock Pin Collector for the last 7 years I would definately recommend the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago to all my fellow Pin Heads for a truely Rockin Time in Chicago !!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Wow! Thanks so much for taking the time to post this outstanding feedback, Brent! We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the perks of being one of our beloved Hard Rock Rewards members and we certainly appreciate your willingness to spread the word to the rest of your "pinheads!" Thanks again and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago!
Rochester, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while attending PROMAT 2013. The rooms are fantastic and the service is incredible. The location is great too, being within minutes of attractions, restaurants, and shopping. I really enjoyed my stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you, Tim, for giving us a top rating on your most recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel Chicago for PROMAT 2013. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed excellent service from our staff, along with our Michigan Avenue location in close proximity to some of the best downtown shops, restaurants and area attractions. We look forward to welcoming you back to our digs the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The location was perfect! Right on Michigan Ave. where you could practically walk to many locations to sight see, etc.. Our room had a window view of the city that just left us in awe!!! Also, every floor level was filled with memorabilia of numerous musicians. Carolina made sure we had amazing service for our stay. Thank you so much for the great experience!!!

Helena C.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you, Helena, for taking the time to post this review on your recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel Chicago! We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our ideal Michigan Avenue location, the breathtaking city views from your room and the memorabilia we feature on every floor. We're excited to pass along your feedback to Karolina and hope to see you back the next time your travels bring you back to Chicago! Thanks again, Helena.
Terre Haute, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

It seems to be rare today to receive great service but that is exactly what I received from the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago. When I checked in it was late on a Saturday night and they were very busy. The room I received was nice but didn't have much of a view. When I returned the next day to request a room with a better view Jessica was more than happy to help with my request.

Overall very good hotel, in a good location, with friendly staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this fantastic feedback on the kickass service you received during your recent stay with Hard Rock Hotel Chicago. We certainly appreciate your acknowledgement that excellent service of this caliber is rare in the hospitality industry these days and we are the exception to that rule for you. We look forward to sharing your feedback with Jessica and we're thrilled to hear she could accommodate your request for a room with a better view. Thanks again for your comments; we look forward to seeing you again the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!