“Good value unless you actually intend to sleep” 1 of 5 stars

You added Hard Rock Hotel Chicago to your Saves list
Hard Rock Hotel Chicago
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   230 North Michigan Avenue, Chicago, IL 60601   |
Ranked #77 of 169 hotels in Chicago
“Good value unless you actually intend to sleep”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

A luxury hotel wannabe that misses on most marks. Staff is fine and friendly but rooms leave ALOT to be desired. Try paper thin walls (unless you enjoy listening to your neighbors party and intimate moments even when they aren't being especially loud), an echochamber for any conversation in the hall, a ventilation system that blows cold air directly over the bed, terrible room lighting that feels like living in a cave, a flaky remote control, a convenience bar that warns you it has a motion sensor on the snack table, a Keurig that was broken, a toilet paper roll that you have to get off the tpilet to actually be able to reach, and oh ... almost forgot, a picture of Sting on the wall tied up and with duct tape over his mouth. I suppose that's "edgy", but not what I want to be staring at sitting in bed..

There's a reason that this hotel is centrally located on Michigan Ave and runs so cheap compared to everything else nearby (cheaper than some motel sixes I've seen). ..... It sucks.

Couldn't pay me to stay here again and that's the first hotel in 20 years I've said that about.

You've been warned.

• Stayed December 2012

1,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Polish first
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We initially chose this hotel due to walking distance to the French Consolate; it ended up being perfect in other areas - location to shopping (walking distance), restaurants, Starbucks, etc and every hotel staff was nice, friendly helpful. Even the valet offered to take a picture for us! We plan on coming back for vacation since overall experience and location was great!

• Stayed December 2012
Tulsa, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Fantastic location in downtown Chicago. Just a few blocks from "The Loop". Staff is always excellent and even loaned us an umbrella on a rainy night! Each floor as decor from a different musician and the room are sweet! Chuck's Manufacturing, the new restaurant inside, is great new addition to the hotel also.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lacon, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

In Chicago for the Killers show and stayed at the Hard Rock. Easy to get to. Central location for foot, cab, or public transportation to MANY attractions. All staff was friendly and professional. Booked room thru HRH website - nice price point. Each floor had unique music related memoribilia.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I recently hosted my annual Holiday Party at Angels & Kings inside the Hard Rock Hotel - Chicago and I must say the experience from cradle to grave was beyond superior. I began working out the initial details with Tabitha Williams and I must say her professionalism and response time to my questions/needs was second to none leading up to the event.

My expierience was only heightened when I arrived at A&K the day of the event and was greated by Michael Felton and Yavonna. Both Michael and Yavonna exhibited the knowledge, expertise and overall understanding of the hospitality industry to make any event/function seamless.

I would highly highly recommend A&K for your next party or event. The staff is on point and truly cares about the customer. This is very tough to find in the industry. Tabitha, Yavonna and Michael are truly assets to the Angels & Kings / HR Hotel Brands.

In addition, I stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel the night of my Holiday Gathering and it too was a wonderful experience. The rooms are updated, modern and clean. The staff from the front desk to the concierge to bellhops was warm and accommodating. The location of this property is also perfect...located right on Michigan Ave, you're literally steps from everything Chicago has to offer.

Twitter: @ottoade

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I have to say...I was a little skeptical about staying here at first with my friends but as soon as we pulled out of the cab on the first day til the time we left in a cab I was impressed! The staff here is what makes it all worthwhile....they are simply amazing and sooo accommodating! Concierge service was top notch and provided us with anything we needed and answered any and all questions!
Another fantastic perk about staying here is the 2 bars and restaurants attached to the actual hotel. I mean really, you can start your night off without having to even leave the building! They had the coolest retro-hip style restaurant and bar called Chuck’s Manufacturing that my friends and I went to dinner at and have drinks (which btw…we all got free drink tickets as soon as we checked in) to start off our lil vaca! We were actually celebrating a friend’s birthday and it turned out to be one of the best dinners my friends and I have ever had together (and we always do something special on all of our bday’s…there’s 4 of us)! Our waiter, Rhett…was simply fantastic….hahah…wow he absolutely made our night. At one point I think I actually told his manager to let him off work so he could join us! He explained everything on the menu to a T, which led to us all simply loving our meals, in addition to bringing us free bday shots he provided us with phone chargers (apparently this is something they offer…which is soo cool bc we were there for over 2 hours and all of our phones were dying…awesome!) and told us all about the city nightlife and all the hot spots to go. He even introduced us to the manager and the head chef of the restaurant! Such a nice and awesome staff….like I said we had sooo much fun and I would recommend it to anyone. As a matter of fact…I’m trying to convince my friends to go back for my bday!

Room Tip: Just call and talk to front desk...they are soo helpful! :-)
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I was staying at the Hard Rock Hotel in Chicago for business and decided to grad dinner and drinks with some co-workers at the new restaurant (Chuck’s Manufacturing) that opened adjacent to the hotel.

The architecture at this place is very modern, but it’s also comfortable. I would have no problem watching a sporting event at this place. They have a great DJ playing some awesome music which really complements the overall atmosphere nicely. They have an extensive food menu and they make everything in house, which is a huge plus for me. I don’t like eating at restaurants that outsource its entire menu to some local food service company. You can tell the chef at Chuck’s really put some thought and effort into designing the menu for this new hot spot. I highly recommend the Salmon Burger with Sweet Potato Fries. It was Heaven in my mouth!

The staff and service at Chuck’s was incredible. They employee some really good looking Cocktail Waitresses and bartenders. My drink of choice is a Ketel One and Tonic, but that night I wanted to try one of Chuck’s unique cocktails. Our waitresses Laura and Vanessa recommended the Gearbox (Skyy Citrus Vodka, Lime, Lemon, Green Apple, and Ginger Beer). It was a solid cocktail that was a welcome change to my go to drink choices. John the bartender really knows how to make a solid drink and he served my cocktail in a proper glass, which is nice to see.

Overall Chuck’s Manufacturing is an AMAZING new restaurant and bar that I highly recommend visiting if you are from out of town or a local Chicago resident. I will be visiting Chuck’s again when I return to Chicago for work in February 2013.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!