“Great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #82 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Eau Claire
“Great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Wasn't cheap but a great deal on get a room made it possible. We had a king room and were very happy with the amenities. Workout equipment was fabulous!! Great location with plenty nearby. Staff were all helpful and friendly. Room service one night for dessert was expensive but sooo good;-)

• Stayed September 2012
HardRockMGR, Manager at Hard Rock Hotel Chicago, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Thank you very much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago for your most recent trip to Chicago! Reviews like yours are my favorite to read - it sounds like you truly enjoyed an authentic experience that rocked! I'm happy to hear that our Michigan Avenue location, close proximity to restaurants in the heart of downtown Chicago, excellent workout equipment and friendly staff exceeded your expectations. Most importantly, I'm glad you enjoyed the sweet treat you ordered from our in-room dining menu! (I'm a big fan of those desserts, too!) Thanks again for your commentary and please keep us in mind the next time your travels bring you to Chicago!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Polish first
Fla
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Paid $200/night for business/pleasure trip

Pros:
- close to trendy locations (eg the Witt is close)
- the neighborhood has a youthful vibe, which is surprising why this Hard Rock is so subdued
- good restaurants nearby (eg morons, mcmormick & shmicks)
- staff is friendly
- gym is well stocked with nautilus and weights
- carbon carbide building is a piece of history ,... If you're into that

Now the Cons:
- why do I have to pay for wi-fi?? other hard rocks include this in the price . Perhaps this is the main reason I cannot give 4 stars
- no restaurant of rebound- disappointing for an establishment that should be the jewel of the neighborhood
- "clubs are small and dark"
- Spartan decoration and no celebratory atmosphere seen at other hard rocks

Room Tip: Try to book with th hotel directly if there is a chance you may have to leave early
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to post your candid comments. Overall, it sounds like you enjoyed our centrally located downtown Michigan Avenue location, helpful staff, well-stocked fitness center and historic home in the Carbide and Carbon building. We appreciate your concerns about the restaurants on property and are excited to announce the opening of an exciting new dining establishment called Chuck's Manufacturing in a few short weeks. We hope to see you back the next time your travels take you to Chicago so that you can try it out and give us another opportunity to rock your world! Thanks again for your review!
Orlando
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Short version....everyday we had to track down essentials that should have been in our room. 3 days only 1 regular coffe for 2 people....broken hair dryer, make up mirror did not work, no heat in bathroom, no bathrobes in room, no water pressure in shower.
Ice bucket sat outside our room 2 days,the one that was out there when we arrived! We never did get an ice bucket.
Only one lotion in room the whole time.....did not restock water glasses.
These are all things that should not happen.

Room Tip: Tower level appears to be the last cleaned...thus housekeeping carts are not stocked. Two rooms in t...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies for your less-then-ideal experience. You are absolutely right; it is not our guest's responsibility to chase down the essentials and I'm discouraged to hear that you were put in that unfortunate position. I take your comments very seriously and will investigate and address this issue with our team as we continue to improve on the service we deliver to our guests. Thank you again!
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

After reading some of the less than glowing reviews on here I thought I'd help redress the balance a little! I stayed here for 4 nights from the 13th Sept 2012, I had a deluxe king room on the 22nd floor (Lenny Kravitz floor). Firstly location, this hotel is perfectly placed for the downtown experience, you are within a few minutes walking distance from Milenium Park, Grant Park and Magnificent Mile which is also on N. Michigan avenue, you really feel like you're central to everything. The staff were always friendly when I spoke to them and got the impression that nothing would be too much hassle. The room was a good size and well maintained, the bathroom was also spacious with a nice walk in shower, everything was clean and the decor was very good. On the 4 nights I was there I didn't evidence any undue noise or problems with rowdy guests, obviously that can happen anywhere at any hotel! I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anyone and would have no hesitation in staying here again should I head back to Chicago. Also, if you're looking for a true American diner experience for breakfast head to Pittsfield Cafe on E. Washington St, it's hidden away in some office blocks but is a really warm and friendly place to have a cup of coffee and some eggs bendict!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you so much for choosing Hard Rock Hotel Chicago and for taking the time to provide such positive comments on our Michigan Avenue location, outstanding service and your overall experience with us! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay on our Lenny Kravitz floor and that our staff was friendly and helpful to you during your 4-day stay. I can't wait to share your kind words with the rest of the team and trust me when I tell you that we'd love to welcome you back the next time your travels bring you back to downtown Chicago. Thanks again, Simon!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

From the time I checked in till I left, the staff was really friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to a glorious room on the 16th floor, with big windows and views out to Lake Michigan through buildings and towards the Chicago river. Comfortable bed, groovy furniture. Bathtub a bit small given all the amenities, but no complaints. Loved the Keurig coffee maker also. Beautiful old building, glad it is getting used.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

While the atmosphere is wonderful, there's always a part of me that can't help but want just a little more. The staff here have always been nothing but friendly. But there's just that sour taste that I keep leaving with seriously has me reconsidering my next trip.

I was a little dismayed that I paid for a second room, for a total of more than $1000 per night, after the lady taking my reservation said the maximum occupancy was two. Upon check-in, I was informed that my third guest could have slept on the couch and didn't need the extra bed. I know it sounds cheap; but that's where he wanted to sleep originally and money does, of course, speak very loudly when taking a trip like this one.

As I said in my title, this trip is my third in a year to this hotel. I've stayed on the 33rd and 34th floors before. Both of those stays left me with a sour taste in my mouth. On the 33rd floor in September 2011, the curtains were painted to the walls, the tile was coming off the shower, and table had all sorts of molded food crumbs and a giant crack. So In February 2012, I stayed on the 34th floor. Mind you, there was absolutely NO security latch on the door. The result... as I was stepping out of the shower, room service opened my door and tried delivering a wine and cheese platter to someone named Karen. Nevermind me standing there naked... just take it away. They still tried charging for the platter at checkout, too. I learned then that you had better unplug the room phones at night because you'll get someone else's courtesy wakeup call at 6 am.

So on this trip I splurged a little for the Xtreme Suite. Again, I wasn't allowed two people in the bed and one on the couch. So I had to get the extra bed. But like I said, that changed at check in. Imagine being told that I needed to spend extra only to be told a few months later that I didn't have to. Not fun. I also tried confirming the room layout again a week before checking. I was told that it was a two bedroom, one bath. It was a two bedroom, 2.5 bath. Can anyone in reservations get the story straight?

But the part I seriously enjoyed doing was arguing about the internet. Apparently, if you book online you get free internet. Well, that's what I tried to do. But in order to book this room, you HAVE to call. So in the end, I managed to get one voucher code for one of our internet capable devices. I didn't enjoy everyone coming over to use my laptop when they each brought one of their own. If you plan on traveling with others, be prepared to pay extra for the internet if you can't manage to get a voucher code.

The room itself felt pleasant. It wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the 33rd and 34th with their very slow heat and a/c. This one was responsive.

The fit and finish, however, still left much to be desired. The toilet in the master bath leaked, so every now and again while sleeping you hear the toilet filing back up. The bathtub leaked while trying to take a relaxing bath. As I was the first to take a bath, imagine me turning my head and seeing pubic hairs dancing around the top of the tub. I wasn't really excited anymore. Housekeeping apparently missed them. There was a good amount of mold growing around the air vent in the bedroom. Just like on the 33rd, the tile was falling out of the shower in the second room. One of the light globes in the room was broken and there were other burned out bulbs.

The sheets in the second bedroom had a few odd looking blood stains. Not sure where they came from.

Getting off the elevator, one of the signs had apparently lost a few of the letters, so the repair was to write on it with black marker. So classy!

The pool table was a nice addition, though the cue sticks are in need of repair. Some of them have no tips!

The paneling on the door was coming apart and the base molding looked like it had seen better days. Be careful not to brush your toe on this loose panel.

The closeup mirror in the bathroom was loose and not securely tightly to the wall, so a little difficult to use.

Be careful not to bump the cord going to the arcade game. The outlet in the wall is very loose and will give you a nice little shock.

The table under the TV needs to seriously be refinished.

The security needs to be upped a little bit. There is a keycard reader in the elevator, but anyone can use the elevator to get to the tower rooms. On my February trip and this trip we've had drunk people banging on the doors or loitering at the elevator. I mentioned it then and was told the problem would be rectified. Apparently, in seven months they couldn't fix it. But at least the side doors are locked after 11 now.

Great job on valeting my luggage when I arrived. Just wasn't sure why I got some lady's purse instead of my laptop bag.

The view up there is great, other than the dirty windows which I think really can't be helped. If you're considering a stay towards the top of the hotel, consider just getting a tower suite and saving yourself some cash. The Xtreme suite didn't really feel very extreme to me at all. A little bigger with a pool table and mini arcade machine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I stayed at the Hard Rock during a recent convention in Chicago. The hotel was conveniently located in downtown and we were able to walk to Rush street and other local attractions. The hotel itself was just OK from an accomidation standpoint. I, and the people i was traveling with, did't like the decor in the rooms. Who wants pictures of rock stars in their bathroom?? Also the constant music made it feel like we were in Vegas rather than in Chicago.

The doors didn't seal too well so I heard all the noise in the hallway at 3 AM! Didn't sleep well at all. Not a place i would stay again if there were other options.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Been to Hard Rock Hotel Chicago? Share your experiences!