“Large Room Good Service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile

You added Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   165 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #44 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
New York City, New York
“Large Room Good Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I usually stay in the Loop but the great price and free internet, not available at my usual 1st choice, lured me uptown.

It's a great bargain. The hotel is in very good shape, the room larger than most and, as mentioned in most reviews here, the staff is super friendly and helpful. I did not try the restaurant as there were so many options in the area.

I will stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Courtyard by Marriott Magnificent Mile. We are so glad that we were able to accomodate during your most recent stay to Chicago. We appreciate your kind words about our staff; we work hard to exceed guest expecations. We hope yo visit again soon and we recommend you try our restaurant, Viand Bar and Kitchen.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Dover, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great location for exploring the Magnificent Mile of Chicago, but a block off the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue. (Right next door to Garrett Popcorn!)

We found our king/sofabed room to be spacious and clean with room to spread out for our family of four. Valet parking and front desk staff were friendly and were able to accommodate our early check-in request.

We experienced two minor drawbacks to our stay, but both were handled quickly and graciously by staff once notified. We experienced noisy children playing in the hallway and running from one room to another in their large party, and the hotel changed our room to another floor with no problem even though it was 9:00 pm and we had been in the previous room since that morning's early check-in. We had booked the Escape Transportation Package which included valet parking, but when the bill was received under the door the next morning, we were charged additional for parking. This was taken care of at check-out when I mentioned the discrepancy, but I am sure that it would have remained on my bill if I had not brought it to their attention.

All in all, a fantastic stay in a great location in Chicago for a very reasonable price (check out the transportation package if you will be driving into the city-- parking is VERY expensive in downtown Chicago, particularly at hotels). Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. You are correct; we are located right by the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue. The smell of Garrett’s Popcorn brushes by just as you walk out our front door. We are so happy to hear you’re found our rooms spacious and clean for your family of four. Thank you for your kind words about our front desk and valet service. Our staff works hard to exceed guest expectations. It was our pleasure accommodating your request for early check-in. Please do accept our apologies for the two drawbacks you faced. We are glad we were able to fix these problems as quickly and efficiently as possible. We thank you for your patience and we are glad that your stay overall was fantastic. We hope you come visit us again at the Courtyard Magnificent Mile!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stated at this property New Year's Eve and previously for a conference - it is in a great location downtown close to many restaurants and shopping - and a quick walk to many attractions. The property is well-kept, secure, and has a terrific staff who makes a point to greet you each time you enter the hotel. The housekeeping staff was friendly and responsive to any needs and always made friendly conversation. Upon leaving, the doorman/valet gave us exact directions to get to where we needed to go and went out of his way to help us! We booked a corner room on an upper floor: terrific views of downtown and even part of Lake Michigan with our wall-to-wall windows. The room was clean and well taken care of. We had a peaceful night; minimal noise (minus the typical city bustle). With this hotel's location, it is easy to get a cab within a few minutes.

Room Tip: If travelling solo or as a couple, book a corner room: the view is totally worth the extra cost (if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you! It is wonderful to hear such great comments! We look forward in hosting your next stay to Chicago!
Apple Valley, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have stayed in 18 different downtown Chicago hotels in the past six years. The two nights in December (the 29th and 30th) in which I stayed in the Courtyard Chicago Downtown Mag Mile were the first time for me. I was impressed! The room was clean, with the exception of several noticeable stains on carpet. The room was bigger than I expected, had a comfortable couch for extra seating (although it doesn't LOOK comfortable), and the TV worked well and had more channels than many other hotels. The shower produced hot water right away and the towels were so absorbent that I tried to find them on the internet and purchase some for myself.

You gotta LOVE free internet in your room, don't you? The signal was strong and I never lost my connection in the two days I was a guest.

The staff is VERY friendly and accomodating and the business center has several free computers for your use or for printing your boarding pass for your flight home. The location, as everyone notes, is fabulous, too.

For the 'cons', there are two. I was in room 2204 and the heating system was SO noisy. Each time it cycled on, there were five LOUD clanks and clunks. When it cycled off, there was one loud THUD. I could have called and requested a room change but I got used to it pretty fast and it didn't bother me at night because of some Tylenol PM. But, I can see it being a problem for some people staying in the room.

My room key cards stopped working at one point. I called the front desk from the phone across from the elevators on my floor. They sent someone up to let me in within three minutes. So fast!! But, the person didn't verify my identity and he could have been letting a stranger into my room. Perhaps a quick verification with the front desk as to who was staying in the room followed by a couple questions for me (What is your home town? What is your last name?) or a peek at my driver's license would have been a good idea.

The Courtyard by Marriott on Ontario Street is now one of my top five favorite hotels in Chicago and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your detailed response, we greatly appreciate all of your comments. We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. Please accept our apologies for the stains on the carpets; we will have the appropriate departments be informed. The rooms do have a little extra room to create the environment more comfortable for a few extra guests. The complimentary internet is very important to us so we are very happy to hear that we were able to accommodate. Thank you for your kind comments about our friendly staff. We strive hard to exceed guest expectations and there is nothing more rewarding to hear than how much you enjoyed your stay. We do apologize for the two additional factors that were an inconvenience to you. We hope that next time we can accommodate you in a quieter area. We are very excited to be on your top five favorite hotels list in Chicago! We hope you come visit again soon!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel in a great location for Michigan Ave shopping. You are also not far from the Navy Pier etc and on a good weather day it is a nice walk.

The rooms are very clean, staff is great, and overall it is a great value.

We chose to self park and the garage that is attached to the hotel seemed to be very safe.

I researched downtown hotels quite a bit before making a decision and I was very happy with this one

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We couldn’t agree with you more about our location. We are located one block from Michigan Avenue shopping and only walking distance from Navy Pier. We are so happy to hear you had an enjoyably clean and comfortable stay for the value. Thank you for sharing your experience at the Courtyard, we hope to see you again soon!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Perfect location close to shopping, restaurants and Navy Pier. The room was big but we looked out onto a roof and the room had a few stains on the carpet. The staff was amazing and overall it was good. Wish the room was cleaner though.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your honest review. You are right; we are located in the heart downtown where all the shopping, restaurants, and main attractions are located. We are so happy to hear your enjoyed the size of our rooms. We apologize for the carpet stains during your stay. We thank you for your observations, we will be sure to share them with the appropriate departments. We thank you for staying at the Courtyard Magnificent Mile!

Been to Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!