“Great location with room to spread out for families!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile

You added Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile to your Saves list
Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   165 East Ontario Street, Chicago, IL 60611 (Magnificent Mile)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #41 of 179 Hotels in Chicago
Dover, Delaware
“Great location with room to spread out for families!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Great location for exploring the Magnificent Mile of Chicago, but a block off the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue. (Right next door to Garrett Popcorn!)

We found our king/sofabed room to be spacious and clean with room to spread out for our family of four. Valet parking and front desk staff were friendly and were able to accommodate our early check-in request.

We experienced two minor drawbacks to our stay, but both were handled quickly and graciously by staff once notified. We experienced noisy children playing in the hallway and running from one room to another in their large party, and the hotel changed our room to another floor with no problem even though it was 9:00 pm and we had been in the previous room since that morning's early check-in. We had booked the Escape Transportation Package which included valet parking, but when the bill was received under the door the next morning, we were charged additional for parking. This was taken care of at check-out when I mentioned the discrepancy, but I am sure that it would have remained on my bill if I had not brought it to their attention.

All in all, a fantastic stay in a great location in Chicago for a very reasonable price (check out the transportation package if you will be driving into the city-- parking is VERY expensive in downtown Chicago, particularly at hotels). Highly recommended!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments. You are correct; we are located right by the hustle and bustle of Michigan Avenue. The smell of Garrett’s Popcorn brushes by just as you walk out our front door. We are so happy to hear you’re found our rooms spacious and clean for your family of four. Thank you for your kind words about our front desk and valet service. Our staff works hard to exceed guest expectations. It was our pleasure accommodating your request for early check-in. Please do accept our apologies for the two drawbacks you faced. We are glad we were able to fix these problems as quickly and efficiently as possible. We thank you for your patience and we are glad that your stay overall was fantastic. We hope you come visit us again at the Courtyard Magnificent Mile!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I stated at this property New Year's Eve and previously for a conference - it is in a great location downtown close to many restaurants and shopping - and a quick walk to many attractions. The property is well-kept, secure, and has a terrific staff who makes a point to greet you each time you enter the hotel. The housekeeping staff was friendly and responsive to any needs and always made friendly conversation. Upon leaving, the doorman/valet gave us exact directions to get to where we needed to go and went out of his way to help us! We booked a corner room on an upper floor: terrific views of downtown and even part of Lake Michigan with our wall-to-wall windows. The room was clean and well taken care of. We had a peaceful night; minimal noise (minus the typical city bustle). With this hotel's location, it is easy to get a cab within a few minutes.

Room Tip: If travelling solo or as a couple, book a corner room: the view is totally worth the extra cost (if...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you! It is wonderful to hear such great comments! We look forward in hosting your next stay to Chicago!
Apple Valley, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have stayed in 18 different downtown Chicago hotels in the past six years. The two nights in December (the 29th and 30th) in which I stayed in the Courtyard Chicago Downtown Mag Mile were the first time for me. I was impressed! The room was clean, with the exception of several noticeable stains on carpet. The room was bigger than I expected, had a comfortable couch for extra seating (although it doesn't LOOK comfortable), and the TV worked well and had more channels than many other hotels. The shower produced hot water right away and the towels were so absorbent that I tried to find them on the internet and purchase some for myself.

You gotta LOVE free internet in your room, don't you? The signal was strong and I never lost my connection in the two days I was a guest.

The staff is VERY friendly and accomodating and the business center has several free computers for your use or for printing your boarding pass for your flight home. The location, as everyone notes, is fabulous, too.

For the 'cons', there are two. I was in room 2204 and the heating system was SO noisy. Each time it cycled on, there were five LOUD clanks and clunks. When it cycled off, there was one loud THUD. I could have called and requested a room change but I got used to it pretty fast and it didn't bother me at night because of some Tylenol PM. But, I can see it being a problem for some people staying in the room.

My room key cards stopped working at one point. I called the front desk from the phone across from the elevators on my floor. They sent someone up to let me in within three minutes. So fast!! But, the person didn't verify my identity and he could have been letting a stranger into my room. Perhaps a quick verification with the front desk as to who was staying in the room followed by a couple questions for me (What is your home town? What is your last name?) or a peek at my driver's license would have been a good idea.

The Courtyard by Marriott on Ontario Street is now one of my top five favorite hotels in Chicago and I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for your detailed response, we greatly appreciate all of your comments. We are so happy to hear you had a wonderful stay. Please accept our apologies for the stains on the carpets; we will have the appropriate departments be informed. The rooms do have a little extra room to create the environment more comfortable for a few extra guests. The complimentary internet is very important to us so we are very happy to hear that we were able to accommodate. Thank you for your kind comments about our friendly staff. We strive hard to exceed guest expectations and there is nothing more rewarding to hear than how much you enjoyed your stay. We do apologize for the two additional factors that were an inconvenience to you. We hope that next time we can accommodate you in a quieter area. We are very excited to be on your top five favorite hotels list in Chicago! We hope you come visit again soon!
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This is a great hotel in a great location for Michigan Ave shopping. You are also not far from the Navy Pier etc and on a good weather day it is a nice walk.

The rooms are very clean, staff is great, and overall it is a great value.

We chose to self park and the garage that is attached to the hotel seemed to be very safe.

I researched downtown hotels quite a bit before making a decision and I was very happy with this one

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments. We couldn’t agree with you more about our location. We are located one block from Michigan Avenue shopping and only walking distance from Navy Pier. We are so happy to hear you had an enjoyably clean and comfortable stay for the value. Thank you for sharing your experience at the Courtyard, we hope to see you again soon!
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Perfect location close to shopping, restaurants and Navy Pier. The room was big but we looked out onto a roof and the room had a few stains on the carpet. The staff was amazing and overall it was good. Wish the room was cleaner though.

• Stayed December 2012
Thank you for your honest review. You are right; we are located in the heart downtown where all the shopping, restaurants, and main attractions are located. We are so happy to hear your enjoyed the size of our rooms. We apologize for the carpet stains during your stay. We thank you for your observations, we will be sure to share them with the appropriate departments. We thank you for staying at the Courtyard Magnificent Mile!
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Had a pleasant stay here at the Courtyard. I was originally staying at the Embassy Suites on N State St but moved a few blocks to take advantage of Marriott’s stay two nights at different hotels and get a free night at any Marriott with a Category 4 or less.

I requested an early check-in and I arrived at 12:30 and I was glad they accommodated my request. Front desk could only give me a room that ‘overlooks the pool’ though. I was okay with it, I thought, why would I have a problem with a room that overlooks the pool? Well, the room is an inside room with a window that overlooks the indoor pool. The room was nicely decorated with an Asian minimalistic decor, the room was spotless with two queen beds. The bed was too soft for me but I like firm beds. It had a nice flat screen tv and the free wifi in the room was very strong, didn't have an issue with it at all.

It also had a fresh clean smell to it and it was toasty warm. Especially by the bathroom. I realized later on that the room was also close to the laundry room, no wonder it smelled nice and fresh. I didn't mind it since I wasn't staying at this hotel very long. I would definitely ask to be moved if I was staying longer. But just in case they ask you if your willing to take a room that 'overlooks the pool' don't take it.

The staff were very nice and the concierge was very pleasant and his welcome seemed genuine. Front desk was very helpful too.

Eventhough I was given probably the worse room they had and I'm sure they would have transferred me if I complained, I would definitely here again. The Golden Mile is less than a block away and Garett's popcorn is just outside the entrance and their amenities were great and their rates were competitive. And great restaurants everywhere.

If you want seafood, Joe's seafood is not far from the Courtyard. Very good food and excellent service. You need reservations unless you want to eat at 10pm if they even have a table available but they do online reservations which was helpful.

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your staying with the Courtyard during your visit to Chicago. Our Marriott Rewards Program really has its benefits. It’s a great program for all travelers. It was our pleasure to accommodate your early-check in request. We are so glad you found our rooms to be clean, internet to be strong, and our rooms to be nicely decorated. We apologize you were disappointed with the pool view, please next time allow us to make you more comfortable by relocating you to a more suited fit. We thank you for your comments about our staff, we strive to exceed guest expectations and it is always our pleasure to make you feel welcome. Joe’s Seafood is an excellent restaurant choice. We welcome you to follow our concierge, Neil Fiorito, on our facebook page. Neil shares weekly suggestions with activities and restaurants to choose from. Thank you for staying with us, we hope to see you again soon. Happy Holidays!
Grandville, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

We have stayed downtown Chicago many times and find each location has it's pluses and minuses.
This one has mostly pluses! Less than 1 block from Michigan Ave. on Ontario near St. Clair. Great location to walk to/from as it's very central. Check-in was smooth and fast. The elevators and quick, we never waited for one.Our room on the 23rd (out of 24) floor had 1 king bed, chair and ottoman, desk, large flat screen tv, fridge. Closet had an iron and the hair dryer in it. Bathroom was large (although we did have a handicap room). It was a busy weekend in the city being just before Christmas so lots of traffic and people. The only downsides I found was the first night I had some trouble sleeping and it seemed there were sirens blaring all the time. I think there is a hospital very near to the hotel. Also in the morning when people were getting ready it seemed we could hear a lot through the door and the connecting door. So, if you have good hearing you may want to bring ear plugs.
They do have a pool on the 10th floor. It's quite small but I'm sure entertained the families that were there. The exercise room appeared like it was adequate size.
A bonus for Garrett's Popcorn lovers is there is a store right outside the door on Ontario. Big lines at it all weekend long!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Director_of_Sales_CY, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for sharing your positive thoughts! We couldn’t agree with you more; we love our location. We are in the most central area of the Magnificent Mile. The Courtyard is just steps away from Michigan Avenue, multiple restaurants, and everyone’s favorite Garrett’s popcorn is next door. We are so glad your check-in experience was fast and efficient, in addition, that you enjoyed our spacious rooms. We apologize for the noise level during your stay. Please allow us to assist you in this case during your next stay. We hope to see you again soon! Happy Holidays!

Been to Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!