“Wonderful surprise!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Mount Vernon, Ohio
“Wonderful surprise!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

What a pleasant surprise this hotel was. I was nervous about the quality of the hotel, due to the wonderful cost for a downtown hotel, but now I'm thrilled with what a great deal we found. The location is wonderful, close to everything! The Starbucks in the lobby is small, but very efficient! Rooms are on the smaller side, but tastefully decorated and very clean. Staff and management were all exceptional and helpful! We will book again on our next trip!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

First 5 Star in 2012!!! :) Wife and I stayed for two nights at this location. When I checked in I was recognized by membership and I asked for a possible room upgrade. We waited about 3 minutes and the lady at the desk kindly stated that I could get a King on the 24 floor (top floor) with a view of Magnificent Mile or a Queen Corner Room with a partial view of the lake, however that room would not be ready for about another hour. Since we drove 5 plus hours we decided to take the King upgrade. This was about 2PM, so it was early check in. There is no greater feeling than walking into a clean, fresh smelling room. Our room was exactly that! Also, Rewards Members, as a local incentive are offered 500 bonus points when using the restaurant for lunch or dinner (even bar tabs). I will stay here again when back in the area. On another note...Food - check out PotBelly Sandwiches about a 5 minute walk down ontario street. This place is also right next door to Garrett's, and finally Starbucks in the lobby. mmmm Good! Attractions - 5 minutes to the Mile, 10 to the water taxi's and about 20-30 to millennium park. Of course a video at the youtube channel. I highly recommend this hotel.... Loved our stay!

Thanks for reading.

Pros:
- Location, Location, Location
- Housekeeping & Staff
- FREE WIFI
- Room Service and Restaurant at Hotel
- Air conditioner in room not window (They get an extra star for that)

Cons:
- Needs to be about 40 floors higher for a serious view! :)
- Parking is $44 a day for in out access ($54 valet) "Parking fees are always killers in Chicago"
- No fridge or microwave in room (didn't request it)

RetiredArmyRANGER
Gold Marriott Rewards Member

Room Tip: Get rooms on higher floors and away from elevators.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
new albany, indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

I stayed here on 3/20/12. The staff were very friendly. The location is two blocks away from the red line. Great seafood restaurant across the street.

Room Tip: Join Marriott rewards, then ask for upgrades if available.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I went to Chicago with a group of friends for some St. Patrick's Day festivities, and see a few sights along the way.

The hotel has a terrific location being on Ontario Street just steps east of Michigan Ave (or the Magnificent Mile). It is conveniently located nearby the Hancock Tower, many deep dish pizza establishments (GIno's East, Uno, Due, Lou Malnati's), upscale shopping, the Chicago River and for popcorn lover's, Garrett's is located at the base of the building (always a line-up). There are numerous other restaurants in the immediate vicinity that will satisfy every taste. Also within walking distance is the southern business district with much of the great architecture, Millennium Park (where you'll find Cloud Gate - a mesmerizing mirror bean-shaped sculpture). The hotel is very close to beaches and the Navy Pier as well.

The lobby is rather underwhelming and small. Perhaps I tend to think of city hotels as all having great lobbies, but this Marriott hardly felt like a hotel at all when I entered. Nevertheless, the service was very good and I all was taken care of in a timely manner. There were no problems.

Our room was located on the 21st floor. Now, the elevators at ground level always seem to be easy to catch, but going down there could be upwards of a 5 minute wait. The room itself was clean, beds comfortable, mini-fridge, $6 Evian bottled water (bring your own!), TV, view of the city etc. Certainly sufficient. However it does look like every other hotel room of its kind and is hardly original. But really, with so much to do during the day and night, time spent in the hotel room should be a minimum. Our hotel room was cleaned regularly. Any questions we had were answered and therefore, I certainly had no issues with service in the hotel.

Parking is within the building and is a public parking lot. It is pricey at more than $40 per day. But the parking garage does not have a creepy vibe and feels quite safe. The area where the hotel is located is very safe - hardly a dangerous area of Chicago.

There is no continental breakfast here, so visitors must venture out for their breakfast. The hotel has a pool and an above average gym on the 10th floor.

I must add that we did deal with a concierge named Lauren who was absolutely wonderful in helping us out. She definitely went out of her way to ensure we got to where we were going and provided some terrific insight.

The hotel room was more than $200 a night, but I was in downtown Chicago and did not need to drive anywhere once I arrived. Plus all the major sights are very close. The hotel does lack any architectural appeal, so for those who need to feel like they're in 1920s Chicago, for instance, should look elsewhere. It is generally a great place for those who want to crash in a comfortable place and like to get out an explore the city with all major attractions at your fingertips.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Western NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

Courtyard is not my favorite Marriott brand, so was not looking forward to staying here - but glad that I did. A reasonably priced option 1 block off of the Miracle Mile, Starbucks in lobby, Dunkin Donuts across the street, and Capital Grill and Lux Cafe up the block. Of course shopping is just a few steps away - within one block is Forever 21, Nordstroms, and Home Goods - all price ranges for all pocketbooks. Oh, and don't forget Garretts next door!

Check in staff was pleasant, also all front end personnel. Room was a normal size, somewhat surprising for the price and in the city - was expecting a cubicle! Marriott clean, nice marble bath, with sink outside of toilet area...so much easier than when it is all in one.

AC was not working correctly when I arrived, and was corrected within 15 minutes. (and when is AC even needed in March in Chicago!)

Internet speed was good, elevators were fast (I was on 18), and keys consistently worked.

I would be surprised to find a better value in this area, and will definitely return.

Why not a 5 star? - I hate paper cups and that horrible in room coffee service...along with cheapo toiletries. Other than that - this is a decent hotel, and when you factor in the price - well above average. And since I spend 100+ nights in a hotel...........

Room Tip: Higher floors are always better in the city -
Croton on Hudson, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed at this location for the Marriott brand and location while working at a trade show for a week. Last year, it was a great experience overall. Last week was a DISASTER. The bellman, concierge and front desk staff are all very polite. That has not changed. A few of the waitstaff in the restaurant are exceptional as well. BUT, that is where it all ends. The bed is like sleeping on a brick. The pillows are uncomfortable. I had requested a mini refrigerator and foam pillows when making the reservation (verbal confirmation to my written request), but had to call down to the desk, as they had not been provided. TWO days, the room was NEVER touched. No cleaning, no replenishment of towels, toiletries, coffee, etc. I was out of the room from 7am until 10pm! NO excuses. I complained and the first night I was given 3,000 points in my account, an apology and offer to come clean the room (at that point 10:30pm) and a free cocktail in the bar if I waited downstairs for my room to be cleaned. I just asked for some towels and toiletries and went to bed. The second night they gave me a certificate for a free night, as it was already 11pm! I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant one morning....what a mistake. My omlette and toast were burned. They took a while to be served as well. When I complained, they offered to make it again, but I had to leave for the trade show (I worked a booth). They still charged me! They took off 20%. I complained later to the front desk. They did not remove the charge. They gave me a coupon for a free breakfast that I never got to use :( Not enough? The elevators were quirky for 3 days and actually got stuck a few times for 5 minutes. next year, I think I am going to try a new location. There are plenty in the area in the same price range, some are better hotels. I was considering a weekend get-a-way here but not now.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
, Director of Sales at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, June 24, 2012
We appreciate your loyalty booking with us two years in a row. It’s disappointing that your stay was not as comfortable as last year. We sincerely apologize for your requests not being fulfilled. It is our goal to make sure our guest expectations are met or exceeded during their stay. Thank you for sharing your feedback, we will make sure to share this information with the appropriate departments to correct the concerns.
Bloomington, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

UNBELIEVABLE QUALITY FOR THE PRICE. Comfortable beds, clean, friendly service. This hotel is convenient to everything in the heart of downtown. It has a fabulous restaurant adjacent to it, as well. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Director_of_Sales_CY, Director of Sales at Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Thank you for the amazing compliments about our hotel! We are delighted that you enjoyed everything, from the rooms, to our location, to our restaurant, Viand. Viand is available for breakfast, lunch, and dinner and they handle our room service as well. Thank you again and we look forward to hosting your next stay!

Been to Courtyard Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile? Share your experiences!