“Great bar service” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #95 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Montego Bay, Jamaica
“Great bar service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

My comrade and I stayed here during the most recent NRA restaurant show. Despite warnings about a parking fee, no such thinhg was added to our bill. We didn't have a vehicle, but I had read some reviews that complained about the fee being added nonetheless. The room was nice and comfortable and the beds were awesome. Plenty of pilows! The bar service was the highlight of our three day trip. A bartender named Paul was on duty every night during our trip. He was attentive, helpful, fast and had good recollection of our drinks from the previous night. He did a good job of making suggestions from the food menu and was equally as attentive to guests at the bar and in the immediate lounge area. He's an actor at heart, but he should consider making this his full time profession, because he's damn good at it. Breakfast service wasn't quite as impressive, so if you're in a hurry, skip it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Iowa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

You know how the FBI blasted obnoxious music into the Branch Davidion compound in Waco as a form of psychological torture... well that is basically the Crown Plaza Metro. I arrived on a Saturday and had a presentation on Sunday, an important presentation.

I took my family with as we only live 3 hours away and the drive would be a good get-away for them while I was at my meeting. My daughter is 9. She is allergic to smoke so we got a non smoking room. By about 2 a.m. our room was filled with cigarette smoke and her eyes were puffy and she was sneezing incessantly.

At 12:30 a.m. the neighbors in a room separated by a connecting door started having a frat party and brought a stereo with a substantial woofer and started playing 120 bpm dance music all night. At 1 a.m., 3 a.m., 5 a.m., and 7 a.m. we called the operator and requested they put a stop to the loud music and smoking, to no avail.

The trucks whizzing by on the interstate were very loud but a welcome disruption from the terrible dance music shaking our walls. We eventually opened the balcony so my daughter could breath and were up all night.

I'm a private contractor and the parking and hotel room cost over $300 dollars for a one night stay. We would have gotten more rest sleeping in our car in a parking garage. I've had better experiences at the Motel 6.

If you being kept awake all night and psychologically tortured, stay here.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
benvonb, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, May 19, 2009
We appreciate all of our guests that take the time to share their comments following your their stay with us. It is our goal to provide exceptional service to every guest that chooses to stay at our hotel, unfortunately it is appears that we did not achieve that during your stay. I have reviewed your comments and I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you personally regarding your experience.

We value the loyalty of our all of our guests and always look to them to provide us with honest feedback about the service they received at our hotel. Please be assured that I will use your comments to assist our continuous improvement efforts here at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro.

I look forward to speaking with you in the very near future. The entire team of the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro would welcome the opportunity to have you back in the hotel so that you may experience the high level of service that our guests have come to expect.

Leonard Mendiola
Mark Center, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2009

For my first extended trip to a big city (I'm from a small Midwestern town), the Crowne Plaza was excellent. I chose to stay here because I wanted to stay somewhere different than the hotels around my hometown. I was not disappointed. From the moment I stepped out of the taxi, the experience was great. The staff was great and knowledgeable. The hotel is very warm and inviting. The lobby is huge and beautifully decorated. The room (King suite 1531), was beyond what I had imagined. It had a seperate living room, with a TV, desk, chair, and sofa (which pulled out to a bed). Beyond that was the bathroom and bedroom. For seclusion, if there was anyone staying on the sofa bed, you could have privacy in the bedroom by closing the door. The bedroom also had a TV, and the most comfortable bed I have ever laid in. The balcony had a stunning view of the Greek Town (Greek Walgreen's right across the street), and to the left, the Sears Tower. The bathroom was equally stunning. I loved the rainfall shower head; it was very relaxing. The lighting in the entire room was able to be dimmed, which was great. I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
bloomington, il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

We stayed at the Crowne the last weekend in Feb. We had never stayed there and weren't quite sure what to expect. The staff were all very friendly and welcoming. It is a great location if you are interested in dining ...some great spots just to the north that are within walking distance. Our group had corner king rooms...the rooms were a little cozy, but the beds were very comfortable.
Great value and a spot I would highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza 3/13/09-3/15/09.

Would I recommend it to a friend? It depends.... If they are doing business in the neighborhood, yes. If they are sightseeing in Chicago - No. If a Gym is important to them - NO (a thousand times NO!) The rooms are nice but if you are in Chicago to sightsee, there are much better choices, much closer to the sights.

As I said, the room was fine, the best features were: the very large desk, free (though very slow) wired,or wireless internet, and the nice flat screen TV. The shower head was mounted to an extension arm to provide the 'rain' affect. The ceiling was too low though and the shower head felt like it was nearly touching my head. Nothing else about the room stood out for me.

Location, as has been mentioned, is good; especially if you are working in the neighborhood. The MTS station is within a 15 minute walk so there is easy direct access from O'Hare via the Blue Line. I love to walk and though this is a bit far from most of the sites, even the lakefront is only a brisk 30 minute walk. Unless it is raining or bitterly cold, Chicago is a great spot to meander and sightsee. The hotel is located in 'Greek Town', so there are a number of choices for good meals. There are also a number of other restaurant choices within a few blocks - including a nice variety to the west. I had a good meal and quick, friendly service at the bar, even though I had arrived at 9:50PM.

The worst part for me was the workout room which is definitely substandard compared to other hotels that I have stayed at in the Chicago area. The ceilings appear to be 7 feet, which in addition to giving a claustrophobic and closet type feeling to the room are so low that when I was on the treadmill I nearly bumped my head. (I'm only 6'2", but the machine adds 8-10 inches depending on the incline). The equipment was old and worn out and was of especially poor quality for a hotel of this rating. It would be like having a 1985 12" Emerson TV in the room instead of a flat screen. Speaking of TV's (in the workout room), they are small and have no provision for ear phones, so everyone is pretty much forced to watch the same channel unless you want conflicting audio or no audio. There are only a couple of weight machines and they are also substandard and nearly useless for getting a good workout. There is a good assortment of dumb bells. Obviously the gym is very important to me. I'd rather pay an additional $10/day for a gym that has new, quality, equipment with higher ceilings than have a free gym that is so terrible. Much lesser hotels in Chicago have much nicer gyms; I think that this was an afterthought - stuck in a converted conference room and not really important to the hotel management.

Last year I was in hotels nearly 3 nights out of every week. This one did nothing to impress me or standout. The room was probably a B to B+, but for me, it is the whole experience that sets the hotel apart, not just the comfort of the room. I guess I'm weighing the gym's D- grade too heavily, but that matters a lot to me. I paid $180/night and honestly could have stayed in a comparable (or nicer) room with a better gym for $75-$100/night using the 'bidding feature' of a popular website. If this Crowne Plaza wasn't close to my customer, I doubt that I would come back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Chicago, Il, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

Updated contemporay style. rooms with balconies and interesting location in Greek Town are great atributes. Located in near west side, it's bit of walk to the loop. Cabs and buses nearby.

Hotel resturant is also stylish and friendly but very slow service. Greek resturant row and Starbucks one block south. Big grocery store (Dominick's) across the street to the north has everything...including another Starbucks. Across the expressway bridge is "Old St. Pat's--very friendly Catholic church with great music. Norh 2 blocks is Randolf street upscale trendy resturants.

Rooms and bathrooms are not big but well appointed. Bathroom door is sliding glass and doesn't feel as priviate as some would wish--good enough I guess.
Wish room had a small refrigerator.
DON'T USE THE HOTEL PARKING UNLESS YOU NEED IN AND OUT SERVICE. Directly across the street to the west is a much cheaper lot.
By the way if you are meeting guests in the resturant the hotel parking is free for them with validation.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Following a five day break in NYC, we followed this up with a four night break in Chicago. This is our second trip, the first being for a wedding when we stayed in the Drake hotel. Much preferred the Crowne Plaza, despite it was further out from the main tourist attractions. Rooms were excellent. Bed so comfortable that I could have taken it home with me. Service at hotel was second to none.

All I can say is try this hotel you will not be disappointed.

• Liked — Excellent room
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro? Share your experiences!