“Saved” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #99 of 177 Hotels in Chicago
Saint Charles, United States
“Saved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

My wife and I were overnighting in Chicago, symphony on Saturday night, Bears game on Sunday. We just needed a place to sleep on Saturday, nothing special, location to restaurant (Topolobampo) and cost drove my choice. I used my Holiday Inn points. It wasn't until we were at Soldier Field that my wife noticed that she wasn't wearing her diamond bracelet, a present made for a significant birthday. But she said she know where she had packed it. When we got home she couldn't find it. Called hotel. Talked to Jasmine, told her room number. The hotel called back in a few, nervous, hours, and said they had the bracelet. Retrieved bracelet the next day. I would like to thank Mr. Jim Conway, General Manager, and all individuals involved (I certain there were a few) for their professionalism and integrity. Word cannot express our appreciation and relief.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JimConwayGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Paul M.,

We are all very happy that we were able to return your wife's bracelet. I have personally thanked each staff member who assisted in the matter, and we hope to see you again in the near future. It was our pleasure having you as our guest.

jconway@thechicagometro.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Michigan City, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We won't be staying here again! BEWARE!!!!!
EVERYTHING in the room's worn out and beat up it's absolutely NOT worth the money we paid for the 4 days in a suite. The wallpaper was peeling in areas, the "complimentary shower/bathroom products"
were used, all but one were less then half full. The refrigerator was broken and it was replaced quickly. The appearance of it was beat up, the door wouldn't shut completely we had to rig it to keep it shut. Then the phone wouldn't work to reach room service, the front desk or housekeeping. I had to use my cellphone to order room service then was transferred three times to the restaurant in the hotel that isn't part of room service. We placed the room service tray in the hallway that night and it still hadn't been removed the following day late afternoon when we returned.
They remodeled at some point to make it look "classy"..... I guess. But when u cover up poo with something pretty, underneath it's still poo! Anniversary ruined.

• Stayed October 2013
JimConwayGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear bella121212,

We appreciate you taking the time to share feedback pertaining to your recent visit. I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction with your experience at our hotel. I would very much appreciate the opportunity to make things right with you, as well as learn more details of your experience so that we can continue our efforts in enhancing our product and services. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further, either via email or phone, at your convenience.

salt lake city, utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We are from Chicago but haven't been back in ages. We were able to take the blue line from O'Hare to this wonderful location (fare $5). We were upgraded to a deluxe King suite by Sal and given breakfast vouchers for being platinum members of IHG. The suite was two rooms, one with a sleeper sofa, computer desk and 40"flat screen LCD and the other with King bed, 40"flat screen LCD and patio door to a balcony. The bed linens were ample and luxurious, bathroom clean and updated. Our balcony offered great views of the south loop. This is a busy property, something is always going on but the staff makes it work. We loved the convenience of the restaurant downstairs, Marianna's across the street and walking to and from the many restaurants and bars on Randolph street and Greek town.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Starrymisu,

Thank you for being a IHG Rewards Platinum Member! We appreciate your loyalty to the IHG brands and choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro for your recent visit to Chicago. Our staff will be happy to read the great feedback you have shared. I certainly agree with you that Greektown has some of the best restaurants in the city. Santorini is my personal favorite. If you have never been, I highly recommend.

We hope to see you again soon!

Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Crowne Plaza Metro during a recent visit to Chicago and agreed that if we could do it all over again, we would not have stayed here. We booked on Hotwire which rates this hotel at 4 stars but I strongly disagree.

What really killed it for me about this hotel was the filth in between the balcony partition walls. The balconies have a weird, extremely dated open block wall that separates between rooms and when I looked through it, all I saw were piles of trash, dirt and cigarette butts (look at my photos to see what I'm talking about). It was beyond disgusting and I never set foot out there again. I don't understand how this hasn't been cleaned by the hotel - how long must it have taken for that many cig. butts to gather behind the wall? Months? Years?

The hotel location is OK, not great if you want to be close to downtown Chicago but not unmanageable with a few taxi and bus rides. Front desk staff was very friendly and welcoming. There is a wonderful grocery store located directly across the street as well as a Walgreens a couple blocks over which made it convenient to stock up on essentials.

I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Neither side of the hotel has a great view of downtown because it faces north/south. The separating...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Julie U,

Thank you for staying at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro and taking the time to share your review. We find your feedback to be very important in helping us stride for continuous improvement in both our quality and service. I would like to apologize for the cigarette butts and other trash that had been thrown behind the air conditioning closet on the outside balcony of your guest room. I will have this cleaned asap. If there is anything further that I can do for you, please feel free to contact me direct, either via telephone or email, whichever is most convenient for you.

usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The room was very clean. I really liked the shampoo etc... that was provided. There was a little mix up about getting distilled water for my CPAP machine. It was resolved with no argument and handled with apologies. The doormen were very helpful about directions and getting us cabs. Randolph street is a short walk away with its nice variety of restaurants. I had room service every morning. It was delivered when promised and tasty.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
JimConwayGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your kind Trip Advisor review! We know you have many choices when it comes to hotels in Chicago, and we are happy that you choose to stay with us. Please let me know if I can ever be of further assistance to you. We hope to see you again soon!

San Jose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Pros: The front desk lady was super awesome, who let me to check in earlier even I am not a premier status customer. The room was decent size, much bigger than I expected, and the bath was super clean. the bed was really comfortable as well.

the only thing need to be aware is the cigarette smell. it was a non-smoking room. however when we got into the room, we had to open the window to let the smell out.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Joe Q.,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro! We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please accept our apology for the smell of smoke being present in your room upon arrival. I will discuss your experience with our Executive Housekeeper and we will use your survey as training for both the Room Attendant and Inspector who overlooked this. Our process for correcting the issue was not followed properly and I accept full responsibility for our error. Please let me know if there is anything further I can do for you. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed everything else. We hope to see you back again soon.

Grandville, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our first room was not cleaned or someone else had checked in and then was switched to another room because there were someones keys on the desk and the trash had stuff in it.

They switched us to a room on the top floor which was clean and had a nice view. I accidentally switched on the heat for a minute and the room filled with an awful smell. Sometimes, when the heat hasn't been run since last season, this can happen, but this smell was much worse than a normal seasonal turn on. It made me wonder if the air filter had been replaced at all in the past 5 years. I asked room service to come and spray air freshener in the room, which they did and alleviated the smell.

The room was set up very nice, comfortable bed, okay pillows, small but very modern and very clean bathroom. I really liked the white look in the bathroom.

I used the fitness center in the morning which was pretty good temperature, but the ceiling was too low. I'm 6' 3" and when I stepped on the treadmill, my head pushed up the ceiling tile just to stand up straight. This was very disappointing. I was able to complete my jog after I removed the ceiling tile from the drop ceiling.

The only other disappointing thing was that I wasn't initially able to hook my computer up to the flat panel TV in the room to watch Netflix. I understand that they don't want customers removing stuff from their TV to make problems for future guests, however, plugging in my HDMI cable should work and has always worked in other hotels. This particular hotel had removed the manufactures remote and given a much simplified remote which disabled any input selection. I've had this before, so I decided to try the controls on the side of the TV, a typical fail-safe option. Unfortunately, when I tried these buttons, they didn't. Long story short, I was able to get maintenance to give me the original remote for the night, but he admitted that this hotel had decided to disable the controls on the side of the TV. I found this very disappointing. I was thankful for the friendly maintenance guy who found a workaround for us.

The hotel was very accommodating. The next morning, when we checked out, I explained about the first dirty room, short ceiling in the fitness center and the TV frustrations and asked if they would pay for the $39 parking fee and they happily obliged. Thank you!!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JimConwayGM, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear Dornbosj,

On behalf of all of here at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro, we thank you for choosing to stay with us and take the time to share your feedback. I would like to personally apologize for not having things right in the first room that was assigned to you. I will be sure to research with our Executive Housekeeper and take whatever appropriate action is necessary to fix going forward. We have some great improvements coming soon, one of which is to replace our current guestroom televisions and free to guest programming. This should resolve the issue of wanting to watch Netflix. I will also log your feedback on the ceiling clearance in our fitness center in hopes that we can possible raise the ceiling height during our next renovation. Please feel free to reach out to me direct if I am able to be of further assistance to you.

jconway@thechicagometro.com

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro? Share your experiences!