“Nice hotel even better restaraunt.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #104 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
“Nice hotel even better restaraunt.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

Very nice hotel, on 7 th floor could see out over Chicago. Room had a small balcony. Food is superb and price is excellent even the room service price is reasonable. Jesus is the waiter you want if you eat at Dine. He caters to your every need.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Flint, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

My wife accompanied me on a week long conference in Chicago. Instead of staying at one of the downtown hotels near the lake we decided to stay the the Crowne Plaza. Honestly, we expected only an average hotel. We picked it because we love Greek Town. We were delightfully pleased. The service was as good as any hotel at which we have stayed. The room was neat, clean and very pleasant. I have a very bad back and so am fussy about the bed in my hotel room. The bed was exceptionally comfortable and my back never bothered me all week. The buffet breakfast has a very good variety of choices and is quick and easy. The hotel staff were very courteous and attentive. The hotel is closer to downtown than we thought, a five minute cab ride. Many days my wife walked downtown to meet me for lunch. Of course we thoroughly enjoyed Greek Town. This is where we want to stay when we come to town.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Lincoln, Nebraska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Our room was clean, but the furnishings suffered from over-use. The light fixture fell apart when my husband turned it on. Wallpaper was peeling off the wall in the bathroom. The TV didn't work and it took two calls to get someone to look at it.

I ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant (Dine) and the service was terrible. I had to prompt the waiter to pick up my food, I had to ask him for a coffee refill, and my breakfast was cold when it finally arrived.

I asked the bellman for directions as well as information about bus tours. Neither he, nor the front desk person, could answer my questions.

This hotel was advertised as 31/2 stars, which it clearly was not. It was a long three days.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Nancy I,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry about the dated room, poor service from our breakfast staff and front desk staff. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chester, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed two nights recently, making this my 6th stay at the Metro Crowne Plaza. I stay at the hotel due to the close proximity to Union Station since I travel to Chicago via Amtrak. The taxi cost (normally) is only $6 and 5 minutes. The location is away from the Mag. Mile and the major metro areas of the city, but that is a plus. I have relatives who live in the city and they are very accomodating to drive me if I need to shop, etc., so the location is fine. I have not had a major bad experience, but on one visit I did not get a wake up call and was guaranteed that my 25,000 Hilton Honor points for a night's stay would be reissued as that is the policy of the hotel. Even though I followed up with a call to a manager, the points were never credited. I chalked it up to a bad experience, but almost missed my early morning train due to not getting a wake up call, which the front desk totally acknowledged was the fault of a technology mal function. But, that being said,, every other trip has gone wihout a major problem. Front desk staff are always very accomodating and on several occasions when he hotel was not full I was upgraded to a two room suite. Small, but very nice, and since I am an extremely light sleeper it was so relaxing not to have to worry about hallway noise such as doors, etc. My last stay, I paid for a jr. suite since I wanted to ensure a quiet accomodation. I was not allowed to book a jr. suite with my Hilton points. On Wed. evening, the hotel hosted a "manager's reception" in the lobby. They offered two kinds of wine and fruit/cheese and crackers. Nice touch. On this trip, Adam, at the desk, a new trainee, was very anxious to see that I had the room I wanted, and did a great job checking me in and ensuring that I was taken care of. The other desk staff were also very nice. The hotel rooms have a small "stand on" balcony and it is nice to get a breath of fresh air. Highway noise can be heard, but when booking request a side that is not over the busy traveled roads. There is a Dominic's and Wal Green's in the same block, and the area is really looking much better than it did a few years ago. I feel safe when venturing outside, but am careful to ask bell staff which directions might not be he best for me to walk when taking an evening stroll. All in all, very nice hotel for the money and location. There is no door on the closets, but a heavy duty curtain. That is really no problem, just rather wierd. The hotel lobby could use an update but hey it's comfortable and most of all clean. Same for the dining room, but the food is good for the money and there is outside dining (along the parking lot) but it is o.k. My recommendation is that if you want to stay away from the mega hotels and hustle of the down town area, give the Metro a try. I will stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

The service from the people at the front desk is the worst, they are rude and get mad if you call or if you have doubts or questions. Dine restaurant has the worst service, very basic buffette, brakfast not included with in the cost, waitress never attends, if you do not take the buffette they leave you without food for hours. The hotel is far away from the main streets, around there is only a walgreens and is dangerous to walk there since there are a lot of homeless people around. The cleaning service at the rooms is bad, there were big spiders in my balcony at floor 16!! Those spiders were there during all my visit that last 2 weeks!! The room was not well cleaned. On top of everything they picked up the room service of the previous night till 6:00 pm!!! Of the next day!!!! Also there was a lot of noise from the street which makes difficult to sleep

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view from the city
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
carlosd33, Assistant General Manager at Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the Crowne Plaza Chicago Metro. I would like to extend a personal apology, as I am very disappointed in the service that was provided to you as your review indicated. We would love to look into the service challenges that you experienced on your stay with us, if you may kindly contact the hotel directly at (312) 829-5000 and ask to speak with the Manager on Duty.

It is unfortunate that you were left with the unfavorable impression of the hotel as your review indicated. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Toronto, Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We got a great rate at this hotel and stayed for a weekend. No trouble checking in Friday evening, and got a room that I requested on a higher floor far from the elevator (warning: this king-bed room was smaller than the average room just because of layout). Nice to have a balcony and coffee maker in the room. Unfortunately the free wifi wasn't too reliable and cut in and out a lot. Comfy bed, good water pressure in shower. Great gym - good amount of equipment and not many people using it at all. Breakfast buffet was pretty tasty and late night eats in the lounge were also ok. The location is what this hotel has going for it - really close to the Loop (few minutes walk) and freeway, across the street from a grocery store and Walgreens. All in all a good place for the value we got.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Gaithersburg, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Staff was very friendly. The room was a cut above a tradtional Holiday Inn. Their breakfast buffet was expensive - $15. Their restaurant, Dine, had zero atmosphere, although some of the menu items were appealing. We opted to eat elsewhere each night. The hotel, being situated on the border of Greek Town made it easy. Their valet parking was OUTRAGEOUS: $36.50 PER DAY!!!! The only thing that made it seem reasonable, after being there for a few days,, was the parking in the self-park lots: $28 for about 4 hours. All in all, we would return. Our TomTom GPS said "you have reached your destination", but in reality, because of the 1 way streets, we were about 3 blocks away. Only entrance is on Halstead St. Don't miss Pan Hellenic Pastry Shop - it's awesome!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Chicago - The Metro? Share your experiences!