“Depends!” 3 of 5 stars

1616 N.Damen, 2. Floor, Chicago, IL 60622 (Northwest Side)   |
Ranked #22 of 50 Specialty lodging in Chicago
“Depends!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

My experience would be amazing if me and my mother were not in private bedroom.
The building that has this kinda of bedrooms is in another building and theres not elevators, kitchen and good bathrooms, and it was more far away from the subway/train station.
I liked the staff but.. the other building is awful =/

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

113 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Bordeaux, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

IHSP Chicago Hostel is probably the best hostel I've stayed in so far! The staff is very nice, the showers and toilettes are very clean as well as the rooms. You can even enjoy a free breakfast on the morning. The neighborhood is really safe and nice and from the door to downtown Chicago, it will only take you 15 minutes. Best hostel ever! I would definitely stay there again.

Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Great location, easy to get to the airport. Free toiletries in the bathroom were great plus the staff were happy to get up super early to let us check out as we had an early flight, sad we weren't there for longer!

Clare Dolan

Dinkelsbuhl, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Our group of 12 persons stayed at that hostel for two nights and it was a great experience! The staff was very nice and helpful and one night we had a nice party all together in the big room... In addition, it is very cheap but also one of the cleanest hostels I've ever been to... Thanks for the great time, I will definetly come back! Andy P

Spokane, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had never stayed at a hostel before staying at IHSP, and it turned out to be a great experience. First of all, you can't beat the price - I stayed two nights for less than $100. Try finding a deal like that at a hotel in the city! Anyway, I was just looking for a clean, safe place to sleep and take a shower and I got just that. I had a private room on the third floor of the building. It was very quiet and I never had to wait for the shower or the toilet. I had a comfy bed, nightstand, small desk, chair, and rack for my clothes. My window was a little odd - the top of the window didn't close and I stayed in early November, so it was cold. However, the heat in the building was sufficient to combat that. I didn't really interact with other people at the hostel, nor did I take them up on the pancake breakfasts, but the staff was really friendly and helpful at check-in and check-out. The building is very secure - you need a code to get in the hostel, and to get in your room. The neighborhood is amazing. It looks a little rough upon getting off at the Damen stop on the Blue Line, but Bucktown is very hip and happening and I never felt threatened when walking around at night. Lots of places to eat great food (Starbucks is across the street), have a drink, and shop. And it's a 10-minute subway ride from downtown! I also attended a concert on my first night in Chicago and the venue was literally across the street. I plan on visiting Chicago again, and I will definitely try to stay at IHSP when I'm in town.

Room Tip: Don't expect the "hotel experience" when staying in a hostel. If you want everything t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I stated at the IHSP for a week in September. It's in a great location just off the Blue "L" line, and easy to find.

I'd booked a small 4 bed dorm. It was clean, sheets and towels provided and easy to sort out. They were short lockers, but my valuables were welcome in they baggage room behind reception.

Breakfast was simple - premade pancake mix and a hot plate, plus coffee and a nice environment to eat, the kitchen being in one large common area. Evenings were spent in the roof taking in the Chicago skyline and enjoying the temperate weather.

When I visited the hostel was relatively young, and still teething. As the week went on there were some issues, such as lack of cutlery/crockery or a double booking, but the staff were fantastic and resolved every issue, as well as being really honest about the situation to everyone involved.

This is a great hostel if you are a first-time visiter to the city. The staff make you feel more than welcome, organising social events frequently, giving great advice and socialising with the guests.

I would note, they do have a second building down the street, but I stayed in the main location so know nothing of it. Showers could be temperamental after 11 as the restaurant down stairs affects water pressure, but an early riser would have no issues. Also, there is a room that comes directly off the common area, and could hear goings on at night. The room is out of bounds late at night, and the staff do ensure people are reminded to be respectful of other guests.

• Stayed September 2012
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We only spent a night there but really appreciated the size of our room and the pancakes were just delicious. All the staff we talked were super nice and very helpful. The hostel is easy to find and only 15 minutes from the loop, with the blue line and there is a lot to do around.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to IHSP Chicago Hostel? Share your experiences!