“Pleasantly Surprised” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Getaway Hostel

You added Chicago Getaway Hostel to your Saves list
Chicago Getaway Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   616 W. Arlington Pl., Chicago, IL 60614 (Lincoln Park)   |
Ranked #10 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California
“Pleasantly Surprised”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I think the average rating of this hostel doesn't do it justice, but please keep in mind that I stayed in a private room with a bunk bed instead of in a dorm room. That said, that's the only difference in my experience. I used the shared bathrooms and had the same interaction with staff.

The location of the hostel is fine. It's a few minutes from the red line. I flew into O'Hare and took the blue line then a bus (took about an 1h 15min), but you can also take the blue line then transfer to red, if you're not into buses.

The hostel lobby felt more like a hotel, which is a nice change from the grimy, party-themed hostels that I tended to stay at in my student days..the hostel was well-staffed; I wasn't waiting around for ages, and they were super friendly.

The room was clean and warm (stayed in November), towels were provided, and it was never noisy. The hostel is in a quiet, residential area that seems safe and secure.

The hostel staff recommended a nearby café called Fuel Stop, but I also really really really liked Bourgeois Pig Café, which is just a couple of blocks from the hostel.

Overall: good, convenient location with nearby transit; clean, quiet rooms and bathroom; friendly staff. What more do you need?

Room Tip: Two of us stayed in a private room with a bunk bed, which wasn't much more expensive than gettin...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Hi foomaa,

Thank you for choosing the Getaway Hostel during your trip to Chi-town. We are flattered to receive your positive review and are very happy about your stay. Our hostel is designed for guests to socialize in our many public areas along with our nightly social events. It's great that you enjoyed some of the local cafe's our staff offered. Guest feedback is very important to us and we will be sure to continue to recommend the locations you enjoyed. We hope to see you again!

Cheers,

Jason Schultz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

The only reason I am not giving this hostel an excellent rating for this hostel is because the shared room ensuite bathroom would get very wet from the shower, especially after 6 people have used it. Other than that it is an excellent hostel with tones of communal spaces to meet other travellers. The kitchen is large and well equipped and the TV room has nice comfortable couches. The hostel organised a Blues night taking people to a local blue bar which was amazing!

Great location! It might seem far from the city centre, but it is easy and quick to get to by bus or the L. Also, if you walk along the street towards the lake and then continue along W Roslyn Place, there is a row of townhouses which have gas lit street lamps.

I would recommend this hostel, but I would not stay in the 8 person male dorm again. Maybe try the larger dorm or the 4 person dorm?

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Hello Robert_killara,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent Getaway experience. We love to hear that our guests our enjoying their time with us and exploring all that Lincoln Park has to offer. The next time you will be staying with us we will have our new TV room up and running as well as new comfy couches for you to enjoy. We can't wait to get that perfect score :). Enjoy the rest of your travels.

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I have stayed at this hostel 5 out of the last 6 years, and needless to say the time that I didn't. I was greatly disappointed.With that said, the staff is welcoming and friendly. the facilities are very clean. I always love the atmosphere of the place.I just can't say enough good things about the place!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Hello David H,

Thank you for your continued visits to the Getaway hostel, we truly appreciate it. We are very happy that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. We hope we can see you again during your next visit. Go Chiefs!

Medellin, Colombia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

I stayed in this hostel for 3 nights and had a wonderful time. Stayed in a 8 bed female room. The bathroom was always spotless clean, the breakfast is basic but generous, the common areas are huge, there are always a lot of people from all over the world, so it makes it easier to meet new friends there. The wireless works very well all the time, there´s a big TV lounge, a beautiful terrace where you could even take the sun if you want to, the kitchen is great, the facilities look like they have been recently renovated, and pretty much everything you need as a tourist, is at a walking distance, from a metro station to museums and famous parks. I definitively recommend this hostel, is by far one of the best!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms where the wifi signal is reliable.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Hello Beatriz M,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Getaway Hostel. We are so happy to hear about your positive experience. We are pushing to become the best hostel in the US by providing our guests with great value, clean rooms and fun events. We have recently completed our WIFI expansion throughout the building which will surely please our tech savvy travelers. We look forward to seeing you again.

Safe travels,

Wellington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

This is my third visit to Chicago and my second stay at Chicago Getaway, and its pretty obvious from the glowing reviews that Getaway is at the upper end of hostel options - and its all true. The kitchen facilities and public areas are of a very high standard (it even has a grand piano!), the people at reception are friendly and really knowledgable, the rooms are a decent size, nicely decorated and well appointed, but the biggest benefit for me is the location - Getaway is in a great neighbourhood with plenty of local pubs and restaurants, convenient to supermarkets and public transport, and I love the architecture around Lincoln Park, its a lovely neighbourhood. Chicago is not one of those places where staying in the downtown (loop) area is necessarily an advantage, to be completely honest, I find downtown a bit spooky after dark, as some areas can feel very deserted at night and its on such a huge scale that it feels a little impersonal.

The other thing I like is that I can use the Skytrain from O'Hara to get to Getaway - Chicago is one of the few places I've been able to use the airport train - it takes about an hour and a half, but Chicago is a very big city! Getaway is 10 minutes walk from the station, so its very useful. There are also plenty of buses running along North Clark Street so you can bus or train into downtown easily (its 20-30 minutes away). Chicago Getaway is a really good, affordable hostel in a superior location, I'd recommend it for groups or those travelling on their own as a great base to explore the City of Chicago from.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Greetings KiwiKong,

First of all, I really enjoy your username :)

Thank you very much for visiting the Getaway Hostel during your time in the US. We are glad to hear that we lived up to our reputation and you enjoyed your stay. The best compliment we can receive is to have a second visit which we truly appreciate. It's great to hear that you enjoyed our historic neighborhood and the close proximity to the many attractions outside of our front door. We hope to see you a third time on your next visit to Chi-town!

Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Chicago Getaway Hostel is a real solid hostel from top to bottom, and I just missed out on giving it 5-stars.

Location is great, in the heart of the Lincoln Park neighbourhood. This neighbourhood is filled to the brim with college students, food, theaters, and history. It's a quick subway ride into downtown Chicago, and is walking distance to other attractions like Wrigley Field, the Lincoln Park Zoo, and Lake Michigan's shores.

I can't speak much to amenities since my stay was short, but the hostel is large and includes all your basic needs. The wireless was excellent, and the staff were super friendly.

Basic breakfast is included, but is basic, consisting of bread or a bagel, a mini-croissant, and cereal or oatmeal. Beverage options are similarly limited, with coffee or tea the only choices. But, you can't beat free.

Where the hostel really falters a bit is in the rooms. The lockers are ancient and are unstable. The beds are also cheap, and creak like crazy. Room design leaves a bit to be desired as well, especially with the outlets.

However, on the whole, it really is a good hostel, and is well worth a stay. The price is equally fantastic, and the value is hard to beat. I would definitely recommend a stay here, but the rooms do need a bit of work, imo, if they want a 5-star rating.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Hi neepsocks,

Thank you staying with us during your visit to Chicago. We're glad you enjoyed your stay at the Getaway and our beautiful neighborhood. Lincoln Park offers guests a local view of Chicago with many attractions nearby which you took advantage of. We appreciate your feedback about how to improve our rooms and we'll see what improvements we can develop. We hope to have you stay with us a bit longer during your next visit.

Fermoy, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've stayed in hostels in various cities in the U.S. and can safely say this was the best by far.
Stayed in a 4 bed room with my friends, with private bathroom. From previous hostel experiences I was expecting a tiny room but this one was huge. The room was very clean and bathroom was also clean. The shower did take a few minutes to warm up but that didn't bother us.
The hostel itself is in a quiet neighbourhood but within minutes of everywhere you would want to go, either by taxi or train. We walked around quite a bit and felt very safe even at night.
The communal areas in the hostel were always busy with people and there was a real friendly vibe about the place. Free breakfast, pool table, wifi, tv room.....everything you could need. They also arrange various nightly activities which helps guests get to know each other.
All in all the best hostel experience I've had and if I return to Chicago someday I'll be staying here again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Jason S, General Manager at Chicago Getaway Hostel, responded to this review, October 26, 2013
Hello fermoyboy,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Getaway. We're thrilled that you and your friends enjoyed your time with us. Our hostel is designed to have multiple communal areas to create a social atmosphere and it's great that you participated in our nightly events. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Jason Schultz

Been to Chicago Getaway Hostel? Share your experiences!