“Exceeded expectations” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Chicago Getaway Hostel

You added Chicago Getaway Hostel to your Saves list
Chicago Getaway Hostel
1.5 of 5 Hostel   |   616 W. Arlington Pl., Chicago, IL 60614 (Lincoln Park)   |
Ranked #11 of 54 Specialty Lodging in Chicago
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ripon, Wisconsin
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I just got done staying at the hostel for two nights in a private half bath room. I wasn't sure what to expect in the months leading up to my stay. My girlfriend and I were going to be in town for the weekend, but wouldn't be spending much time at the hotel, so I didn't want to spend an arm and a leg for a room. I ran across great reviews for the hostel, and I decided to give it a try. I was amazed at how amazing our stay was. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful upon arrival. The room we had and the entire hotel was incredibly clean...cleaner than most places I have stayed in the past. I will definitely be staying here no matter the occcassion whenever I return to Chicago...a definitel diamond in the rough!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Mountain View, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Four of us stayed in a private four bunk bed room with shared bathrooms. Overall, our stay was great - they even let us check in 4 hours before the check-in time (3 pm). The room was comfortable, however, we missed having more plug points for all our phones and cameras. Also, a reading light and small ledge to keep books/mobiles/eye glasses would have been helpful. Another problem was the hostel's wifi - it just didn't work.

The breakfast in the morning was adequate- toast, bagels, coffee, cereal and fruit.

We really liked the hostel's location too- it was a 10 min walk from the L station, and the neighborhood had lots of beautiful houses tucked in leafy, tree-lined roads. There were excellent eating places, blues bars and theaters close by - we walked to B.L.U.E.S, Kingston Mines, Apollo theater (for the Million Dollar Quartet show), and eateries on Clark Street.

If we visit Chicago on a budget again, we will stay here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kiama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for two nights and wish I could have stayed longer, very friendly staff, excellent kitchen, Internet facilities, lounge areas and entertainment was constantly being offered. The rooms were clean and spacious and the bathrooms, whilst they were shared were immaculate. I would recommend this place to anyone!

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hostel was fantastic!! It's located in Lincoln Park, which is a safe, beautiful and a perfect alternative to downtown. The staff were incredibly helpful and very accommodation to all our needs. The hostel is very clean with a great dining area by day - hang out area by night. There's a pool table and closed off lounge area if you want peace. They have free computers and a printer which is always handy. The breakfast was great and the common kitchen area was super clean & modern. Highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Teguzco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

In my youth, I traveled light. As I got older and found a few more dollars in my pocket, I developed a taste for bed and breakfasts, where I could look forward to meeting interesting people around the breakfast table. In my retirement, I'm back to counting pennies, so when my wife suggested combining a business trip with a few extra days in Chicago, it fell to me to find affordable accomodations that fit her requirements and our budget. Doing so on the weekend of the Bears' home opener was a challenge, one solved by selecting the Chicago Getaway Hostel.

It was a good choice all around. The neighborhood, just east of the DePaul University campus and just west of Clarke Ave and Lincoln Park with all it has to offer, is clean, beautiful, safe and served by both buses and trains that will get you anywhere you want to go. The desk staff was helpful l throughout our stay, always ready to suggest a good place for a bite to eat at a bargain price or provide directions.

The room, with half-bath, was spartan but clean, the bed very comfortable (although those with a touch of claustraphobia may not care for the low clearance between the double bed in this room and the twin bed above it). The room is not a place you'll want to spend a great deal of time, but then that's not what you're there for, is it? The public spaces of the hostel provide plenty of room to lounge about, whether on the patio/deck out back, the dining room, or elsewhere.

The people? Well, I enjoyed those I met, from the young men and women from Australia, New Zealand, and England traveling solo, to the young women who'd come to town to celebrate an up-coming wedding with a flapper-costumed shower/women's night out. While the energy level was high in the public areas, our hallway was quiet and our sleep undisturbed.

Will I stay there again? If traveling solo, absolutely. If with my wife, it will depend upon the cost of other accomodations and her willingness to repeat the adventure.

Room Tip: Book a room that overlooks the rear patio/deck and you'll have in-room wi-fi. (The hostel promis...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I was really pleased with my stay at the Getaway Hostel. It had everything to make my stay a very comfortable one. It was clean and had a friendly atmosphere. The location was really nice and only a short subway ride to downtown. The free breakfast was nice and filling.

Room Tip: I thought my room was fine and had nice air conditioning to keep it cool.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
St. John's, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Friendly staff, clean, quiet building, comfortable beds, free wi-fi. Fantastic location in a lovely neighbourhood close to transit, tourist sites, and restaurants! Breakfast is included, but is quite basic--we just stored our own food in the provided fridge. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Chicago Getaway Hostel? Share your experiences!