“Very pleased” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 167 hotels in Chicago
Calgary, Canada
“Very pleased”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

After reading some of the negative reviews, we were prepared for only an average experience at the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised. The staff at the Ivy hotel were extremely professional and welcoming. Our room was upgraded and we ended up in a King Suite...loved the extra space!...and glad we got a bigger room for the price we paid. The hotel is clean, modern, and is in a great location just off of Michigan Ave...close but far enough to be on a quieter street. Transit is all within walking distance. Our stay was during the weekend of the marathon so the streets were definitely busy with visitors. We would definitely stay at the Ivy again for our next visit. We were very happy with our room and felt like we could really relax after a long day of site seeing. It didn't feel like we were just in a hotel room.

Some minor negatives: The view from our 2nd floor room was of dumpsters in an alley. We don't need to have a nice view however no view is better than a bad view. If the windows were frosted, we could have kept the shades open to let some natural light in. We kept the shades closed because we really didn't want to look at the alley. Also the water temperature in the shower is quite hot...had to adjust and wait until it was not so hot before stepping in.

Overall, we were very pleased with the hotel. Staff was exceptional and our room was clean, comfortable and very livable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor if you want to keep your window shades open. Then you don't ha...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your guestroom. We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

For a 2-night stay in Chicago, to be spending much of our time at the SOFA show at Navy Pier, this little hotel was perfect. The room was spacious and spotless, the sheets luxurious, the room was quiet both from the inside and outside, the staff was helpful and considerate, the shower with its waterfall head was excellent, I didn't have to ask for a shower cap for a change; all in all, the Ivy was a good choice for us. Over the years we have stayed at a number of closeby hotels and this is the first time I want to go back.
For the record, we are a "mature" couple who appreciate comfort and quiet and don't need the bustle and services of a large hotel.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a wonderful review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the amenities within our guestrooms and that the staff was helpful and considerate with your needs. We'd be happy to have you back!

springfield, illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

The location just east of Michigan Ave on Onterio is very good for visiting north Michigan ave area. Lots of good restaurants close by including Capitol Grill which is pricey and Grand Lux Cafe which is good and reasonable. Yes the lobby is the checkin desk but so what. We upgraded to a suite which gave us ample room and was very stylish. The curtains open and close via a motor which is a hoot. The tub was the size of a small hot tub. Staff was friendly particularly the young man from Minneapolis. A real find to which we will return.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for the great review and recommendation. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay and the location of our property. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Chicago!

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

Ivy Boutique Hotel is the best hotel in Chicago! I travel a great deal and actually dislike most large chain hotels. This hotel is everything they are not... personalized service, great rooms, attentive staff. The thing I loved the MOST, though, was that every request met with a resounding, "Yes, we'll do that for you!" And THEY DID!! It is rare to find a company that starts every exchange with an attitude of YES! What a joy--especially in a hotel. I cannot recommend them enough. Special thanks goes to Tiffany who went above and beyond her duties every single interaction! Wow! Service how it should be!

Room Tip: We had four rooms booked during our stay, everyone of them was perfect. The layout was good, low no...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay and the staff that you encountered. We hope to welcome you back to the IVY Hotel in the very near future!

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Did no stay at the hotel but met friends here.

Excellent rooftop bar with good drink options.

Great cityscapes and views.

Friendly staff and excellent local beer selection.

Central to many restaurants and fast food places.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your visit to our rooftop lounge, SKY Terrace. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the staff, beer selection, and view from our rooftop. If you are every in need of room accommodations in Chicago please think of us! Hope to see you on our rooftop when we re-open next season!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Ivy Boutique Hotel for 2 nights. When I checked in later that evening at about 9pm, I told the front desk attendant that I had purchased a Living Social coupon. He said, "Ok. All I need is your ID and a credit card for incidentals." Maybe he did not hear me, but later on that night, I checked my account and had been charged about $780.

My boyfriend, who was with me called the front desk and we were told the manager would call us when she arrived at 7am. No one called. I called again and after a very long process with the hotel, my bank, and the fraud department, the charges were reversed.

We paid for valet, which was $48 dollars a night. The same night after we checked in, we left to get food at about 11:30p/12a. Our car was parked on the street. NO ONE was in the hotel lobby at that time. We arrived from dinner maybe an hour or later and the car was still there.

The next evening at about 7 or 8pm, we called the front desk to ask about parking because we did not want to get charged for two days, so we planned to drop the car off to a friend nearby. The guy I spoke with told me that if we were checking out before 3pm, we would only get charged for one day.

A couple of days after we checked out, I noticed my card was charged about $560. I took time from my job to call the hotel and the young lady recognized who I was and also recognized the problem. She took my email address and said someone will be with me in a few minutes to correct it. NO ONE EVER CALLED AGAIN!

I called the next morning explaining what happened to THE RUDEST GENERAL MANAGER I HAVE EVER MET and he cuts me off saying, "Wait, he needs to read about the situation because he was not there." He began to explain that they charged me about $560 and also credited my account $398. I did not see the $398 and when I told him, he says, "Well, that's not our problem. You need to take that up with your bank." I was not pleased with what he said and the manner in which he said it.

I remained calm and I tried to start the story from the beginning regarding the $780. He cut me off and said, "We did not charge you $780!" I tried to explain and he kept cutting me off, so I began to get angry and loud with him back. I told him that he just explained to me that he did not know the story, so he needed to ask the young lady who took my email address. He explained that I was charged $164 for my car being in the garage for TWO days, plus taxes for the hotel, which I was aware that I had to pay. I, then, explained to him that I called and the young man told me that I would only be charged for one day and our car was NOT in the garage the first night because we saw it on the street. Instead of compensating me for his worker's misunderstanding, he just says, "Well, he must've misunderstood you then."

Then, I tried to explain how the car was not in garage that night and he makes up excuses for it as well as speaks condescendingly about his workers stating, "Well, when it's busy, sometimes they will park the cars across the street for a little while and come back to get them, but this can be investigated. However, I am the general manager and I don't have time for this, so I will have to get my assistant to do handle it, but it'll take us over a week." I could care less who he is because I work at a very prestigious law firm and I can have that little hotel shut down IMMEDIATELY! However, I did not tell him that, but I began to grow angrier and angrier with his unprofessional and inconsiderate attitude, so I did raise my voice at him trying to get the $780 charge explained along with the $560. He repeatedly called me by my FIRST name, not Ms. Williams, and told me, "STOP it!" as if I was a child! At this point, I told the young man that I would come to the hotel to solve the matter and hung up.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on your stay. I'm sorry that you encountered inconsistencies during your stay. For all guests we authorize (Not charge) $250 for incidentals. Depending on whether you used a Debit or a Credit card at check-in will determine the amount of time those funds will be returned to your account. Believe me we would not like to hold-up your funds any longer than need be, but unfortunately it takes the banks a few business days to return funds. I hope this clears up any misconceptions, and we hope you will give our hotel a second chance in the future!

Kind regards,

Albert Pino
Night Manager
T.312.335.5444
apino@exploreivy.com
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Recently stayed here for 3 nights over a long weekend. The decor of the Lobby leaves a little to be desired - but the staff encountered were very friendly. We were in a King Suite - very spacious and great bathroom. The room was extremely quiet - which was a surprise only being on the 4th floor. I liked the little touches - like the card left by the cleaning staff with next days weather and little sweet treats. The hotel is close to so many things - easy to walk - close enough to the Red line - easy to catch a cab, etc. We did have 2 slight mishaps - the first time we used the shower - the wand must have been pointing at the door (totally didn't notice) and upon exit - discovered it had flooded the bathroom and entry way (yikes!). The staff member helping clean said that it happens sometimes - not sure if he was being nice or just making us feel better for making such a huge mess. Then - a couple of days later - there was a short in our room - but it was fixed immediately. Again - kudos to the staff for being professional and prompt. I would stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed our signature turndown service and the amenities within your guestroom. We hope to see you on your next visit to Chicago!

T. 312.335.5444

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!