“Pretty Hotel with no amenities but still very nice” 4 of 5 stars

Ivy Boutique Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   233 E. Ontario St., Chicago, IL 60611 (Streeterville)   |
Ranked #35 of 178 Hotels in Chicago
Peoria, Illinois
“Pretty Hotel with no amenities but still very nice”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was my 1st stay at a luxury hotel. The room was amazing and I've never stayed at a hotel with a room quite so nice. The room is big with lots of storage. The room includes the standard complimentary items such as lotion, shower gel, shampoo, conditioner and coffee. You also receive mouth wash, bath salts,a vanity kit and slippers. There's also a bathrobe and umbrella in case you need them.

The best part of the room is the bathroom, it includes a huge walk-in shower with a waterfall shower head, a big tub and television in the bathroom mirror. My tv was kind of dark but it was still a nice feature. I could only enjoy a hot shower for 2 of my 4 day stay, for some reason the hot water didn't work the last 2 days of my stay.

Each night housekeeping provides 2 sweet treats and a card showing you the forecast for the next day. In addition they also spray your pillows with a lavender scented spray to help you sleep. In addition, the room includes a mini fridge with expensive bottled water, juice, beer and wine. There are also expensive snacks on the counter for your convenience. And if you get lucky in the windy city, the room includes condoms for the low low price of $8.

Now the hotel is small on staff so you may have to wait for valet services. Towards the end of my 4 day stay one of the 2 elevators was being serviced so the wait time to get to and from my room increased. I enjoyed the fact that each floor has only 5 rooms so it cuts down on noisy hallways or running into a ton of people on each floor.

We also visited the sky terrace which showed a pretty awesome view of the city. It included a bar and lots of seating. Overall its a nice hotel and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to post a review about your recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your time with us and the features within our guestrooms. Looking forward to welcoming you back to either the hotel or SKY Terrace next summer.

Kind regards,

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Urbana, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

Excellent location and friendly, polite and accommodating staff. The room (suite) was sleekly modern and inviting--comfortable sitting room with floor to ceiling windows, nice TV and efficient Wi-Fi, luxurious bed and spacious bathroom.
This was our second stay and it lived up to our first impression. A boutique indeed, and a true gem.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking a moment to comment on you recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm delighted to hear that you could join us for a second stay and that we lived up your first impressions. It means quite a lot coming from our repeat guests! We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Apple Valley, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

From the moment at check in to check out, our experience at the Ivy will definitely bring us back. The location is perfect. Located just a couple of blocks off the Magnificent Mile, the Ivy is tucked away on a character filled street that suits its charm. We arrived early (prior to check in), and asked if they could hold our bags until we could get settled. Without hesitation, they were able to check us in early, and upgrade our room at no additional charge. The staff at the front desk was very courteous and efficient. I had asked for a room on a higher floor, and we were pleasantly surprised to get the 14th floor, just 2 floors below the roof. Our room was breath taking and extremely clean. The bathroom had a beautiful soaking tub, rain shower, and a TV built into the mirror, very modern. The living room area had floor to ceiling windows, with blinds that you controlled via a switch on the wall, a beautiful couch, lighting, desk, fast wifi, tv, and valet. The bedroom was crisp, clean, inviting, and incredibly comfortable. Another flat screen tv, high thread count sheets, and just the right amount of pillows. We had a little issue with our neighbors that were quite nosiy at 1a-2a, however, Joey handled the situation very professionally, promptly, and with the utmost care and concern. Without a doubt the staff and service will bring us back to this gem. The amazing room, amenities, roof top bar, location, and value, are just the icing on the cake. I will recommend the Ivy to everyone I know.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a wonderful review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I’m happy that you enjoyed the Kind Suite and the employees that you interacted with. You are right about Joey, I'm glad he was able to assist. Thank you for recommending us and we hope to see you soon!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

My husband and I live in Chicago, but were wanting to stay in a nice hotel for a single night getaway. The IVY was the most reasonably priced out of the several we were looking at (Burnham Hotel, Palomar, and the Peninsula). In addition, I arrived earlier in the day to see if it was possible to drop off a bag in their coat check prior to checking in later on (check in was listed at 4pm). The staff was very courteous and informed us that the room wasn't ready, but offered to check us in anyway and also put my items in the coat check area. Shortly after leaving, we received a phone call informing us that our room was ready (mind you, I checked in with them at approximately 11am and they called us shortly after 12pm). When I stopped back in the early afternoon, I was informed by the front desk staff that our room had been upgraded. We ended up staying in the king suite. The bathroom was lovely and included a large soaking tub and a rainforest shower. The bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in and the room also included a lounge area, which was partitioned off from the bedroom. That evening, we met some friends on the rooftop for cocktails. The service was lacking a bit (I think our server forgot about us), but the atmosphere was nice for catching up with friends (music wasn't too loud and it wasn't too crowded for a Wednesday night). In addition, it was a perfect summer evening, so the open rooftop lounge allowed us to enjoy one of the last warm nights of summer before the arrival of fall. Overall, our intention was to have a relaxing one night getaway and based off of our experience at the IVY, our hope came to fruition.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about your recent getaway to our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm delighted that we could check you into your room sooner than you anticipated and I'm very pleased to know that you enjoyed your accommodations. I hope you will join us again on your next staycation in the city.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here overnight and was very surprised that this has a 4.5 star rating. This does not compare to the Conrad, Sofitel or even James which are real 4.5 star hotels. There are a couple of things that I liked about this hotel Location and the aesthetics of the room. Location is top notch, you cant go wrong with streeterville as tourist. I stayed in 301 (I think) and this is a room with 2 beds and a sitting area. Its like a small apartment minus the kitchen. The bathroom is really nice and big with rain shower. Tub is separate from the shower. The room is beautiful. The room is also quiet. There are only a few units per floor, its more of a thin tall building. Internet is free and reliable

Beyond that, theres really nothing that is worth commending. Service is ho hum, there is really no lobby, the front desk has one person most of the time, maybe 2 at times. The fridge doesnt really cool anything and it is so loud. Im not that impressed with this property.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our property, the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm glad that you enjoyed your accommodations including the amenities within the room. I'm sorry that we fell short of your expectations. I hope you would give us a second chance to "WOW" you in the future!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I've recently had the pleasure of staying at the Ivy Boutique Hotel and I was very impressed. Located conveniently minutes away from the magnificent mile, the overall feel of the place is very modern and luxurious. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. James made our check in very efficient, and hassle free. He was very polite and warm, making our interaction extremely pleasant. Our room was very tastefully decorated and very modern. Everything was exceptionally clean and perfectly polished. The rooms are very well stocked with all the essentials, and anything else you might need is just a phone call away. This hotel is a perfect balance between modern luxury and comfort, and that's a tough thing to accomplish. This has been, by far, one of my best hotel experiences.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking a moment to comment about your recent stay at the IVY Boutique Hotel. I'm delighted that you enjoyed the overall feel of our hotel and happy to hear that our staff was friendly and accommodating. It was pleasure to meet you during the check-in process. We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Chicago!

Rochester, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Ivy Boutique Hotel is an attractive alternative to the standard chain hotel experience. A little off beat but with a hip vibe and design esthetic. The best things are the rooms and the location two blocks off mag mile, 5 blocks from Navy Pier and the water tours, with an urban neighborhood feel unique to this part of downtown Chicago. No comparison the many "historic" overpriced relic properties trying to hold on to glory days with ostentatious but dated design queue's and stuffy ambiance with small rooms and smaller bathrooms in need of facelift. Those hotels know who they are. This hotel is for a younger demographic with a different idea of what a luxury hotel should offer starting with great service and attention to details. Well done Ivy. The only negative for me was no Cigar smoking on the rooftop lounge but some would see that as a positive.

Room Tip: Views of the city from many of the rooms will be underwhelming if my room was any indication