“IVY Hotel Chicago” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 169 Hotels in Chicago
Lake Mary, Florida
“IVY Hotel Chicago”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the IVY Hotel in Chicago. The staff were extremely accommodating and friendly. The King suite room was nicely decorated, and extremely clean. The decor was modern and comfortable. We absolutely loved this hotel and will stay there again when we travel to the windy city. The location is also perfect as it is within walking distance to many of the great sites and shopping this wonderful city has to offer.

Room Tip: King Suite Rooms are Awesome!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed at the Ivy August 23-25. Traveling to Chicago frequently, I have stayed in numerous hotels throughout the city, but I must say as far as the room and décor ---Ivy was one of the best. The staff were all very welcoming and friendly. My request for a high floor was met, and we immensely enjoyed the spaciousness and layout of the King suite. The location right off Michigan was idea for us as well. Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Stayed in room 1405 and loved it!
Irvine, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Perhaps it is because the hotel is relatively new and, as the night manager told me, privately owned, that it misses a few marks when it comes to general guest hospitality. My first impression is when I walk in the door. I had 4 bags and had to open the door by myself because the door man was talking to the parking attendant. Strike one. The entrance of the lobby is modern and clean. The front desk host was nice and pleasant to deal with but a little stiff. No problem. Upon entering the room, I was very satisfied. The layout of the room is well done with the bedroom in the middle of the large living room and spacious, well appointed bathroom. The tub and shower are to die for and you cannot find a fiji soaking tubs in many standard rooms in chicago. As a side note, I would add a small vanity bench under the sink for women. I pulled the chair from the desk into the bath in order to relax while getting ready and it fit perfectly. The refrigerator is not on sensors, so the Dominicks around the corner has an amazing selection of fruit, wine, liquor and premade foods if you want to stock the fridge with drinks and snacks for the weekend. Plus one.
It was our anniversary weekend and my boyfriend just relocated from California to Chicago. It would be our first reunion since his move one month ago. I had called the hotel prior to explain that we chose this hotel for our special occasion. I had expected, at the very least, a card welcoming our arrival. We got zip, zero, nada. No acknowledgement whatsoever. Strike two. The manager had explained to me that we should have gotten, at the very least a card. Although that did not propel him to go out of his way for us for the rest of our stay. He also explained to me that since they were privately owned, they have a limited budget. I do understand limited budgets, but thoughtful gestures can be cheap and one glass or two glassed of wine are $14 each. I wouldn't say that this would break anyone's bank--it didn't mine and I don't own a hotel.
The third strike would have to be related to their policy of disturbing you when you have your do not disturb button activated. We got home late the night before (actually early in the morning) and wanted to sleep. We activated the DND light. We were CALLED by housekeeping at 2:30 pm to see if we wanted our room cleaned.....................................After shaking off my being startled by the phonecall in the first place, I asked the woman on the other end if she had seen the DND sign. She said, "yes." I I replied, "then why are you calling me?" To which she replied, "it's the hotel policy." With that I called the front desk, and the day manager, female, had confirmed that policy. Unsatisfied with these responses, I approached the front desk a couple hours later after spending the day walking the city. (The hotel is in a GREAT LOCATION, walking distance to most everything you want to see and do and easy to mass transit).

I spoked to her face to face this time and simply asked her to explain the logic of disturbing someone that is asking not to be disturbed. She couldn't. She explained that she would take my suggestion and use it in her next discussion with other managers, etc. OK.

The room service is not expensive and arrived hot. The 16th floor bar could use some MAJOR customer service training. I realize you are working on the 16th floor, but perhaps a better stocked bar, according to what you offer on the menu, would be needed. Rolling the eyes and huffing that you have to go to the 1st floor to get a food container is not that great of an impression. Neither is saying WHAT if you had trouble hearing something someone said. A smile and courtesy goes a loooooong way, as does a well stocked bar. The persons I am referring to is a female bartender with blonde hair from Michigan and her bar back/busboy. She does, however, make a good drink.

A special shout out goes to Albert and Ammas (?). Ammas works the front and runs to rooms in case you need ice and everything in between. He always was smiling, always said my name, always opened the door, and just seemed to like his job. He should be used as an example and for training of his colleagues in the ways of general and quality customer service.

So, I give this property a mixed review as I probably loved more than I disliked. However, what I disliked keeps it from being great, and with the Ivy's aesthetic impression and pricing, they can do better with some basic and simple fixes.

Treat the guest like a guest, ALWAYS. NEVER like an occupant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the higher floor. You will diminish the street noise.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

The first thing as you enter the hotel you are greeted with an amazing smell of flowers! The lobby is quaint yet modern the king suit which I reserved was super spacious and I loved lounging on the couch while my fiancé was able to nap after running around the city. The sky terrace was great the atmosphere was more of an outdoor lounge not a night club which I enjoyed more. This is a great locally owned hotel. I highly suggest it

• Stayed August 2013
Algonquin, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have to start off by saying that this entire review is based on the price point of the hotel and how they seem to be marketing themselves. ($340.00 per/night stayed (2) nights)

The experience started on Wednesday when I called to order flowers from the front desk. I was confronted by a very nice woman who proceeded to tell me that there was a flower shop up the street that I could order from. Ok I get it you don’t have an in house florist but you can’t order them for me??? After some convincing she ordered the flowers for me and they were promptly in my room (even for an early check-in) which was a great rebound. The room was nice (King Suite) but, missing on a few levels. Doorbell plate was crooked, bathroom fixtures were all loose, shower molding was hanging off, ceiling lighting was all a little off (hanging down), tile grouting was shoddy, floor rug was peeling up and that is just to name a few things. I’ve stayed at the Waldorf for this price and it’s apples & oranges. The lobby bar is a ghost town so don’t plan on having a drink there however, the roof deck bar was cool. We stopped there on Friday afternoon (happy hour) and the service was SLOW but there was only one waitress and it was packed. I guess they could put on a little more staff but, I’m not running the hotel. Overall the place was average and I mean average. Unfortunately, that is not what I was looking for….. If you want average there are plenty of place to stay in the city of $200 - $250 a night.

For the most part the staff was great and would recommend staying here if you got a great deal. There are no amenities but, it’s a “boutique” hotel so it was quiet and I didn’t see a ton of guest. If that is what you’re looking for this place is for you! Once last thing….. I read something about a turndown service and cake pops. There is none of that however, I was greeted at my door by the hotel staff one of the evenings (7:30) with (2) pieces of banana bread and the following days weather.

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I'm a little mixed on this one, but I would recommend for affordable personal trip with husband or friends. The good and the not so good: Short 1.5 blocks off Michigan Ave is unbeatable with tons of great restaurants in walking distance. Very friendly staff. Got a great deal on Priceline so ponied up for the King Suite- space was great. The view was not so great, overlooked construction. Bathroom is modern - I loved the tub, the shower was a little bit leaky. There is no gym/spa/pool, but they did give us a pass for a gym in walking distance (though NOT across the street, about 2 blocks away). The roofdeck bar is fantastic. There is no parking, valet waits outside. So if you are driving add $41/day to your tab or park yourself.

Whitby, Ontario Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great location. Nice hotel. Friendly staff. Efficient car valet service. Comfortable bed. Nice T.V.. Good work area. Free WiFi. In room safe (free). Just 1.5 blocks from Michigan Ave (Mag Mile). Keurig Coffee maker in room. Mini bar in room plus snack items ($). Bathroom nice, but single sink. Suites have double sinks and sofa area. Standard room ok for 1-2 people for short stay. Would rate it at 3.5 stars due to size of room. Same street as Garrett's Famous Popcorn and the popular restaurant Grand Lux is on corner of Michigan and Ontario. Overall, we would return and do recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!