“Luxury in Downtown Chicago” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ivy Boutique Hotel

You added Ivy Boutique Hotel to your Saves list
Ivy Boutique Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   233 E. Ontario St., Chicago, IL 60611 (Near North Side)   |
Ranked #30 of 174 Hotels in Chicago
Los Angeles
“Luxury in Downtown Chicago”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2013

Stayed for two nights at the Ivy last week. It is under a year old, which was obvious when my cab driver wasn't familiar with its location.

This intimate hotel has only five rooms per floor. Rooms are stylish with great amenities including nightly turn down service complete with two bite-sized desserts - small white and dark chocolate chip cookies when I arrived and the next night a chocolate-dipped strawberry and small carrot cake. These were placed on an elegant tray along with the next day's weather forecast and a breakfast menu each evening on the comfortable platform bed.

The spacious bathroom has a great rain shower and a separate hand-held wand. Lighting is abysmal, however the hotel is replacing all the mirrors so hopefully that will come with new lighting as well. It would also be nice to have a separate switch for the bathroom fan rather than it coming on instantly with the lights.

There is a new rooftop lounge which I didn't get to go to but looks lovely with great drinks and a bar menu of small plates.

The location is fantastic - very central to everything on the Miracle Mile. All the staff were cordial and accommodating. What better recommendation could be said than I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms and our staff''s customer service. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago, keep on mind the Double Queen Suite if visiting with the family!

T. 312.335.5444

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Stayed for one night at the Ivy when it first opened. I must say that they try hard to separate themselves from other hotels and keep an eco friendly vibe, unfortunately I wasn't overly impressed. We've stayed at nearly all the top hotels in downtown Chicago and we have our expectations high. The staff was friendly but not the most helpful. The rooms were poorly light (energy conservation was their reason they gave me). I found smudges on the wood floor and hair in the bathtub (that we didn't use because of it). The bed was ok, and the living room lacked comfort. The TV in the bedroom was entirely too big for the space and if you had it on it would be nearly impossible for someone else to sleep. The location is great and a convenient walk or short cab ride to all the major things to do downtown.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. It has been a year since our opening and things have changed, I invite you to come and try us again, guaranteeing a better quality of service and accommodations. Our roof top is now open through the summer, serving small plates and a wonderful full service bar menu. If there is anything my team and I can do to succeed your expectations for your next visit please contact me directly, please contact me directly and I would be happy to do so.

Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

I try to pick small hotels when visiting new cities. The location is great for walking to many landmarks as well as an incredible number of restaurants. The staff was helpful, polite and very attentive. Great recommendations as well as directions. The skylight terrace was open for small plates and drinks. Our room was modern with a great rainfall shower including turndown with yummy cookies. Thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Alameda, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Stayed one night at the Ivy. Great location, made shopping and eating very walkable. You're only a couple of blocks away from great shopping on North Michigan Avenue! We got upgraded to a suite. So beautiful and spacious. Loved the upscale toiletries and the ultimate BEST thing there is the shower! OMG! it was a steady stream of wonder, it was luxurious and so relaxing. The bed was very comfortable, though a little soft for my husband. The AC was very quiet. Heard the neighbor's shower but otherwise the room seemed quiet with the TV canceling any outside noise. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and welcoming. The Sky Terrace was still not opened so we'll have to return on our next Chicago trip. There was just one small mishap...the front desk person accidentally unexpectedly entered our room while we were in there. He was checking out a vacant room for a hotel guest and mistakenly opened ours. He even called later to apologize again. The valets/bell hops were great! We'll definitely will return for another stay here!

Room Tip: The building of the new and large Northwestern medical facility is right across the street but surpr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms and our staff''s customer service. I apologize for that careless mistake, I will personally speak with our team to avoid these inconveniences. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago and you will be able to enjoy our Sky Deck Terrace during summer!

New Orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This little boutique hotel is a well kept secret! My husband and I stayed here while visiting Chicago for business, and we felt like we were on vacation. The bellman, and the staff were first class, and treated us like we wee the only people there. The rooms are fabulous! We were upgraded to a king suite, which had a separate living space. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was amazing! We were walking distance to everything, and there were many food places to choose from right outside the door. We will definitely be staying here again!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms and our staff''s customer service. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago.

Clarendon Hills, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Everything you would expect from a high end boutique hotel in Chicago; beautiful furnishings. upscale ammenities, attentive service...excellent location - the only disappointments were that the Sky Terrace was not opended still.. it was a beautiful weekend in Chicago; and the concierge service/city insider scoops is non existant. I called up for local restaurant recommendations and they had no ideas...same when we checked in the front desk. Looking forward to coming back..

Room Tip: As for a view -- mine overlooked an old building...I did opt for the suite upgrade and was glad I di...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. Regarding our staff''s customer service, I will work harder with the concierge team to improve these services. For your future reference, the Sky Deck Terrace opens only in summer when the weather permits since it is all out doors. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago.

Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

If I ever run away from home, this would be one of my destinations. This hotel was wonderful - the room was clean, comfortable and cozy - like a home should be. The assistance and help was great - like our family should be, The food from the small restaurant and room service was well prepared with a great presentation - like all our meals at home should be!

I would highly recommend this hotel - and will be considering it for my next trip to Chicago.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms and our staff''s customer service. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago, keep on mind the Double Queen Suite if visiting with the family or friends in a near future!

T. 312.335.5444

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!