“Great Small Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 167 hotels in Chicago
New Paris, IN
“Great Small Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our first time staying at the Ivy and we were impressed. We visit Chicago at least three times a year and have stayed at many hotels and this ranks near the top for us. The location is great - just a couple blocks off Michigan. Made reservations thru booking.com and requested early check-in (if possible) and a higher floor away from elevator. The last two were met immediately and when we arrived we were able to check-in. We reserved a king suite and were very satisfied with it. I especially loved the bath with double vanities and rainfall shower. The staff were very friendly and willing to go the extra mile. Will definitely be staying there again. Would have given it 4.5 stars.

Room Tip: Higher floor and if view is import a room facing Ontario
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. Make sure you check out The Sky Terrace, on your next stay, which will be opening at the beginning this week with a full service bar and a varied appetizer menu to enjoy a wonderful afternoon or a chilled, relaxing night down town.

314 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

It was a very good stay. Personnel very nice. Rooms very good in space, decoration and clean. Very well located.
The shower was awesome.
Easy to take a bus, to go to pier, millenium park, Chicago river, magnificent mile, Hard Rock Cafe .
Would stay there again.

The only thing disappointing was that the terrace was not open due to the weather. Too cold. But I had big expectation.

Recommend.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. Make sure you check out The Sky Terrace, on your next stay, which will be opening at the beginning of May with a full service bar and a varied appetizer menu to enjoy a wonderful afternoon or a chilled, relaxing night down town.

South Florida, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We were initially upgraded to a king suite that had a small little "living room" separated from the bedroom. The hotel was decorated very modern and it was very clean. We had a large bathroom with a TV in the mirror and a soaking tub. The view from our room wasn't that great as it was just the wall of another building, but whatever. We didn't care.The hotel staff was incredibly friendly. Our flight was much later than when we had to check out and the staff cared for our bags for the day until we were ready to leave. Would definitely stay here again on our next trip to Chicago!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. We appreciate all your good recommendations and treasure them greatly in order to increase our guest's satisfaction. One little tip is to request a north view on your next reservation when booking the King Suit, this will grant you a better view from your room. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

My husband and I spend 2 nights the weekend of April 12th and have nothing but GREAT things to say about our experience. The location couldn't have been better; on a quiet street off Magnificant Mile and close to the subway. We stayed in the queen standard room, which was plenty of space for the both of us. It was clean, comfortable and the shower was amazing. The service of the hotel exceeded our expectations as well. What a great little hotel for the price, we would absolutely return!!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. We appreciate all your good recommendations and treasure them greatly in order to increase our guest's satisfaction. Hopefully we will see you soon on your next visit to Chicago, if we can assist you with any reservations or recommendations to make your visit even better please let us know!

San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a king suite for our two day visit. The suite was well laid out and spacious. The staff was friendly, attentive and helpful. The suite was very clean and had good amenities. I particularly liked the large bathroom with separate shower and soaking tub.

The only problem was the external fan for the mini bar fridge. It made a humming noise in the middle of the night so we had to unplug it. I do not know for sure what effect this had on the fridge. But I told the staff what we had done and they seemed unsurprised and didn't try to get me to plug it back in.

The cake pops at turn down time were nice too!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
JamesCazares, General Manager at Ivy Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013

March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. Regarding the fridge, we thank you for letting us know about this issue throughout your stay which we have taken care of already.

Carmel, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Let me first say that I booked this hotel via hotwire and it had a 4.5 Star rating via hotwire.....NO WAY!! First off, as I approached the city I called the hotel to see if by chance my room was available (it was 1PM) so I could just valet my car and get all of my personal belongings out and in my room and the lady the answered the phone said yes, go ahead and come here and we will get you checked in. I did exactly what she said and when I unloaded all of my things and got to the check in desk she then let me know that my room wouldn't be ready for a few hours! I was very unhappy! I put my belongings in their "closet" and went about my day. I returned about 6PM to check in and as I was waiting in line the lady working the front desk was talking to the guest in front of me and explaining to her that since the hotel wasn't full and she booked on hotwire she would upgrade her for free...I was thinking wow, that's very nice. As I approached the desk to check in the lady was very cold and rude and then when i asked about the upgrade she explained to me the fee associated with upgrading.....I said so that didn't apply to the person in front of me?? She became very angry and then said well I guess I will upgrade you as well. VERY RUDE! The bell man was very sweet and walked me up to my room and showed me all the "features" of the room. I was put in room 902....which overlooked an awful rooftop! The overall size of the room was nice, but that was it! The bathroom was TERRIBLE! There's a built in TV in the mirror of the bathroom...which didn't work and I called down several times to have it fixed and no one did anything about it.......but besides that the mirror was so dark I couldn't see a thing! I called down to the front desk to inquire about this and the lady said I"m on the phone and it will be awhile so if you need something you can come down....really?!?!? I did go down and explain to her that the mirror was awful and I couldn't see a thing. Her response was very rude AGAIN! She let me know that not all room had been updated and I needed to use a different mirror to get ready....the lighting in the entire room is awful and there isn't a good mirror to use! Also, there's no fitness center in this hotel as states on their website! I asked upon check in and the rude lady said you can use the gym a few blocks away....that defeats the purpose of booking a hotel with a fitness center! I could go on and on about my awful experience, but I'll leave it at NO WAY is this a 4.5 Star hotel!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the IVY Boutique hotel on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry the hotel was not to your liking. I'd be happy to talk to you personally about your experiences. Please email me at you convenience. Kind regards, James Cazares General Manager T. 312.335.5444 E. James@exploreivy.com
Thorntown
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My 14 year old son and I stayed three nights for a small spring break get away April 3rd-April 5th. I booked through Hotwire as I have the last 4 trips. The Ivy had big shoes to fill! The Ivy was definitely the most luxurious accommodations we have experienced. They have hit it out of the ballpark with the details that make all the difference. The turn down service with the next days forecast and sweet treats were fun to return to nightly. The Keurig coffee maker was a nice detail as well as the various toiletries including mouthwash, loofah and the kit with Q-tips, nail file, sewing kit and shower cap in addition to the standards. We had a studio queen, room 1003 and enjoyed our quiet surroundings. Even with our room just being a studio it was more spacious than some other rooms we have stayed in and offered a lovely, comfortable chair with side table in addition to the very nice chair with desk. We loved the electronic curtains and black out drapes. The windows were small and off in the corner but that was okay as there wasn't much of a view as we looked out to the south and it would negatively affected the layout of the room had they been anywhere else. I loved the frosted glass double doors leading to the bathroom. The shower was the crown jewel of the room with it being all glass with the rainfall head and wand. The bathroom fixtures were primo! We also really appreciated the dark hard wood floors and all the marble and granite in the bathroom. All the lighting choices in the room were really nice too although a floor lamp by the chair would be a very nice addition in the studio rooms as I was often awake earlier than my son and would have liked the option of having a light to use by the chair so it wouldn't awaken him. The bed was very comfortable as well as the linens. I loved having two pillows each and the bolster for back support when sitting in the bed. The suit rack was also a nice addition despite the fact neither of us were wearing a suit we still utilized it. The light in the closet and the many drawers throughout the room and bathroom were also a very nice surprise. The hotel is 1 1/2 blocks off the Mag.Mile and surrounded by various eateries including Epic Burger, The Capital Grille, Timothy O'Toole's Pub, Qdoba and others. Garett's Popcorn is also between the hotel and the Mag. Mile. The location has a neighborhood feel like you are going home. The entrance and bar when you walk in is beautifully decorated in crisp & clean white with accents of gray and purple. Amy was very helpful and friendly at check in and assisted me with printing tickets for a game since I had forgotten to do before I left home. She gave personal attention as she remembered we were going to a game and asked us about it the next day when she greeted us upon one of our returns. The doorman, Hamza was very kind and helpful and made us feel very welcomed. Maria, Ludy & Martha did a great job of taking care of our room. Thank you for a great visit! We would recommend the Ivy to anyone traveling to Chicago.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
March 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review about our property on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that you had such an enjoyable experience with all the amenities we provide within the rooms. We appreciate all your good recommendations and treasure them greatly in order to increase our guest's satisfaction. If the Studio Queen was of great accommodation, you should definitely try upgrading to our King Suite during your next visit to the city; the TV in the bathroom and the soaking bath tub would be something you and your son would enjoy for sure.

T. 312.335.5444

Been to Ivy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!